Author Topic: Antifreeze recommendations?  (Read 20451 times)

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
Re: Antifreeze recommendations?
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 08:41:18 PM »
Hmm there's no "born on date" on my distilled water. I tell you it's almost enough to make
you want to buy premix!
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2015, 05:54:17 PM »
I skimmed this topic and the take away for me was, change your coolant from time to time.

I have 2003 Kymco Super 9 LC I bought used a few months ago.  I don't think it has ever had coolant changed.  I found this thread looking for what anti-freeze to use, since the owner's manual and service manual really don't make any recommendations.

I like Vino's comments, very helpful for me.  I plan to buy whatever, change it often, and not worry too much about it.  Cheers
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

bman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2015, 04:31:31 AM »
I contacted Valvoline Zerex Product Support, just to be sure that I hadn't gone astray in my research... and if what they say is true, it's very surprising to me... here's what they wrote:

"come factory filled with Dexcool" !!!!!!?????

Wow, if that's the case, then perhaps it's not all Dexcool (aka Deathcool) that experiences the sludging problems that caused such a huge lawsuit not too long ago.

Unless Dexcool now comes in a green color it wasn't in my scooter when I bought it. 

az_slynch

• Tucson, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2015, 04:13:33 AM »
Has anyone else looked into Engine Ice? I switched over to this after a good flushing at the two-year mark. The bike is still running happily with no issues. Cones premixed with DI water.

And for the curious, here's a link to the MSDS.
'01 Super Fever ZX 50
'05 Bet 'n Win 250
'10 Yager GT200i
'12 Yager GT200i
'16 K-Pipe 125
'18 Spade 150 stolen April 2020

Yager200i

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2015, 02:51:39 AM »
It consists solely of sodium nitrite and disodium tetraborate, in deionized water.

The sodium nitrite is the same stuff added to dried food to prevent spoilage. It inhibits growies in your coolant as a secondary effect, but its primary purpose is to convert to sodium nitrate. The nitrate ion provides protection from pitting and crevice corrosion.

https://www.google.com/patents/EP1352037A2?cl=en
"Coolant blended from ethylene glycol (EG) for heavy-duty diesel applications in prototype EGR-equipped engines sometimes experiences discolouration and rapid oxidation. Oxidation reactions include nitrite ( O2) to nitrate (NO3)..."

So the Engine Ice may experience discoloration, and if the nitrate / nitrite ratio is disturbed (such as by running way too hot), you'll get rapid oxidation, and hence discoloration.

As for the disodium tetraborate, from my post above:
BORATE:
A component of OAT (Organic Acid Technology), an acidic buffer. Can attack aluminum if silicate levels are low (and modern anti-freeze products mostly contain low silicate levels). Again, using solely OAT coolant is something to avoid with our scooters. OAT anti-freeze ingredients take a long time to lay down a protective layer of metal oxide (the passivation layer) to protect the metal. Hence, if your water pump is cavitating and exposing fresh metal (as I suspect ours do, with the high RPMs developed), OAT will not work quickly enough to protect it. The result will be a badly corroded and eroded pump impellar. None of the anti-freeze products I looked at listed this as an ingredient.

No way to tell if it's actually causing any problems except by the discoloration, so check the coolant color frequently.

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2015, 08:33:21 PM »
Yager I'm going to start calling you the Professor. Remember though Ginger is all mine!

eakins

• Butler Motorcycle Maps
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2016, 11:02:24 PM »
Has anyone else looked into Engine Ice? I switched over to this after a good flushing at the two-year mark. The bike is still running happily with no issues. Cones premixed with DI water.

And for the curious, here's a link to the MSDS.

My Yager is a 2010 & 800 miles and has green coolant in the overflow bottle for sure. I thought all Dexcool was Orange?

What is the latest thought on the best flush and refill coolant? I plan on doing a full flush when time.

eakins

• Butler Motorcycle Maps
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2016, 04:00:31 AM »
I'm thinking of a full flush and Evans or Engine Ice.

eakins

• Butler Motorcycle Maps
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2016, 04:02:48 AM »
I know most all the Asian car mfg all seem to use HOAT coolant with their color die.

nushipwright

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2016, 07:25:48 PM »
Just found this thread after I bought Prestone ready to use to top up my reserve tank. It's on the low mark.
Is this stuff safe to use in the downtown?

There is no ingredients listed. This is apparently OK in the UK.
Two things highlighted: 1. it contains bitrex (to make it bitter) 2. it also contains Ethanediol (never heard of it before)   

« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 07:38:56 PM by nushipwright »
“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”  - Mark Twain
. mostly 2up city

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2016, 08:02:36 PM »
Can't talk now. Re-inventing the wheel.... levers, pulleys, Q-Tips and rubber bands.
But, you folks carry on.

Or, just tell us what to buy at Wal-Mart or Autozone.
Need only 10 or 12 words.
(sorry, I did read all of Les Miserables.....but I can't do this)

Out of all the lies I've told, "Just kidding!" is my favorite!

Stig
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 08:32:47 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

nushipwright

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2016, 12:20:11 PM »
Maybe it's mi lingo but don't seem to fully comprehend your answer Stig. :) Could you please be less specific?! Thanks!
“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”  - Mark Twain
. mostly 2up city

nushipwright

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2016, 06:30:58 PM »
Found the safety datasheet for this product and I'll attach it to this post.

According to it this particular prestone antifreeze product no: AF2100LGBA contains the following:
30-60% ETHANEDIOL (ethylene glycol)
1-5% 2-Ethyl Hexanoic Acid, Sodium Salt
<1% PROPAN-1-OL

Inter
. mostly 2up city

bman

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2016, 01:21:16 AM »
Pick your favorite color.
http://www.valvoline.com/our-products/antifreeze-products/zerex-asian-vehicle-antifreeze-coolant
I use the red, easier to see in the overflow bottle.
Ran it hard through Kansas and Nebraska.
Temp didn't get above 78C.
Good stuff.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2016, 08:34:29 AM »
It seems as if you are overthinking this. Just pick an antifreeze that says no silicates and call it a day. That's what the rest of the Kymco owners have been using with good results. Most name brand antifreezes will work very well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()