Author Topic: No Spark  (Read 8807 times)

greenhead

• View Profile
No Spark
« on: January 24, 2011, 03:55:09 PM »
Hey guys 1st time of the forum. I have a 03 zx-50 and I have no spark. I started it up one day and at ran for a 30 sec and died. I check the switch, stator, new coil, and the battary is good. I am thinking now its the CDI box because I got a new coil. where should i buy a new CDI box? I was just thinking of getting a OEM box and derestricting it myself. Have you guy had any problems like the oil being too low and not having spark?

Thanks

Rianna

• View Profile
Re: No Spark
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 03:23:19 AM »
Hi, greenhead!

Welcome to the forum!!

Have you tried eBay yet for a CDI? They might have something. Good luck!!!

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 08:53:08 PM »
Did you check the kill switch  & have the side stand up ?

Low oil levels will not prevent a spark.

New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 09:17:13 PM »
Also you have to depress the brake lever .

greenhead

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 02:38:57 AM »
Yes, i have to depress the brake to start it. Do you have to have to side stand up? I always have it up when I try to start it.

Kevin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 10:02:05 PM »
Dumb question, but this is my first time on the forum and new to scooting as of Yesterday.

Bought a '09 Super 8 150

started in the guys garage and watched him ride it up and down the road.
trailered it home and it started for me that night and I rode it for 20 minutes or so.
parked it with the side stand and then the center stand.
now it gets no spark - turns over and gets gas fine, but no spark.

will the starter turn it over if the kill switch or stand switch are faulted?
logic tells me it should not even try to turn over, but logic has led me down many a rabbit hole before...

in pieces all over the driveway now, and I'm guessing I could have started off by tapping on the side stand.

Thanks!
--Kevin
'09 Kymco Super 8 150 Blue 'n Yellow - first two wheeled street machine, of many to come...  :D

Kevin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 11:16:52 PM »
Well.....

I learned a lot today.
Tore down the scoot a little and figured out where stuff is. Killed the battery trying to turn it over. Found the spark plug. Figured out I can use the tools supplied under the seat to pull the spark plug instead of removing all the side panels to get my socket to it. Figured out how to remove all the side panels so I can get to the spark plug - before seeing a picture of someone using the supplied tools. Found where the CDI is and tested it to be good. Learned how to jump start a scoot with a car. Figured out that the kill switch does not return to "run" automagically...

sheesh

--Kevin
'09 Kymco Super 8 150 Blue 'n Yellow - first two wheeled street machine, of many to come...  :D

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 02:28:21 PM »
G'day Greenhead, there is no interlock on the sidestand on these scoots. You have gone through the checks pretty well and it does sound like the cdi, a common problem on this model. I bought a tzr 50 cdi for mine. It solved my problem although I had a bit of a headache trying to work out the wiring. I bought the one for the honda dio sa 50, it was $10, the kymco one was about $60, so the plug was different than my kymco. If you get one of these let me know and I will get the wiring colour codes for you.
cheers,
sid
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 11:35:06 PM by sidthesloth »
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 11:39:01 PM »
I have a thread on the TZR50 cdi in the general section, I have just updated it to show the wiring colour code.
link to it.
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=2810.60
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()