Author Topic: Warranty Question  (Read 2323 times)

jayOk

• View Profile
Warranty Question
« on: August 17, 2008, 04:24:42 AM »
I bought a S200 a little over a month ago and love it and have about 1000 miles now.  Around 300 miles I replaced the engine oil and gear oil.  Today at 1000 miles I change the engine oil and gear oil again.

I actually called the dealer to verify the gear oil amount as the manual says 0.18L and to fill up to brim of the fill hole.  Well to fill up to the brim hole takes around 0.75L.  They confirmed my thought that you should just put 0.18L and not fill up to the fill hole.  I also had the confirmed by this awesome site too.

During my conversation with the dealer they told me that the first service has to be done by them to keep the warranty.  I told them I have already serviced it twice my self.  The manager said to bring it in and they would service it and look it over so that I can still retain the warranty.  They charge $65/hour plus oil.  So a simple oil change will likely cost around $80.  That's crazy!

Has anyone else heard of this?  I've never heard of a dealer forcing their customers to use them for service to retain warranty.  Changing the engine oil and gear oil takes a whole 10 minutes and is very simple.

olbull

• View Profile
Re: Warranty Question
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 10:24:55 AM »
Read  all  of your warranty  info  provided  with  bike..it  clearly  states you must have the bike  back  to  an  authorized  KYMCO  dealer within  the first  90 days of ownership for inspection or  the warranty  becomes  void..

I  ve  been  an  automobile dealer for 38 years...Kymco's  explanation  of warranty  coverages  was  the  best  ive  ever  seen..

The  dealer  and customer can  both  understand  what  is  and isnt covered..

In addition  to  your  owners  manuel  you  should  have recieved  a  printed  1 page  lay out  of  your  obligations  and coverages..

OlBull

2007 P250

If  your  not the lead dog the  scenery never  changes

OldGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 11:33:05 AM »
Assuming you're in the United States you might want to look at the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. A good place to start is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

Among other things it states that to void a warranty the dealer must prove that something you did caused the failure. You don't have to return it to the dealer for scheduled service or checkups to ensure your manufacturer's warranty remains in force. You have the right to have your vehicle serviced wherever you choose.
OldGuy
Wanna be GrandVista rider

Inside every old person is a young person wondering,
"What the heck happened?"

kawzak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 04:33:21 PM »
I respect all the information and comments here. I was told that I could perform the maintenance services like oil changes and such, but that I needed to save all my reciepts for items (oil,filters,belts,etc.)  I knew the people at most of the motorcycle dealers for many years where I've purchased some (25+ motorcycles). Obviously it is to their advantage to do the work (they know the unit will in fact be serviced, and they will make money in the process off you). I do believe if you save your reciepts ,if you do have a problem
the dealer should take care of it. I do remember one time a person locked up his engine because he did not change the oil at all. then he put in some fresh oil to try to cover his mistake. It was obvious that the burnt/black/baked on oil did not even mix with the new oil he just poured in. When he was asked to show any reciepts he said he would bring them in the next day. He did bring in reciepts for service done at a local shop for (2) oil changes dated over an 10 month period. Problem was he wasn't smart enough to see the reciepts were all sequenchel numbered-which of course would be impossible, unless the performing shop did not have a single other customer for 10 months!. I also remember when a customer had a problem with a spun cam bearing and he was  out of the warranty period by about 1000 miles. He did have all of the reciepts for the oil changes,etc. kept a small log book with infomation in it -dates/milage/adjustments/any add ons. You could tell that the unit was taken care of.The factory agreed to repair his engine under warranty. These are some past experiances I've seen, it doesn't mean it always works this way. 

scootrixx

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 03:02:35 AM »
The manual says to change the oil at 300km.  So I changed the gear oil and the motor oil.
I checked for lose bolts. 

When I asked my dealer what service they performed for $180 plus tax they said,
'check fluids, air filter, plug, and make adjustments'.

all this for $180? 

sorry.  It's cheaper if I keep my receipts, buy a $70 motorcycle lift at pep boys and buy the haynes manual.
I'll even learn a thing or two in the process. 

just my 2 cents - good luck and be safe.

rocket girl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 11:53:39 AM »
Hi new girl here. I was told that the manual was wrong about the rear end oil ammount. DO NOT fill it to the top of the filler plug. It only needs somthing like 5.8 oz. Have your dealer call the sales rep and have them check with Tec.

OldGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 12:40:21 PM »
Hi new girl here. I was told that the manual was wrong about the rear end oil ammount. DO NOT fill it to the top of the filler plug. It only needs somthing like 5.8 oz. Have your dealer call the sales rep and have them check with Tec.
5.8 oz. sonunds like a bit much. What model do you ride?
OldGuy
Wanna be GrandVista rider

Inside every old person is a young person wondering,
"What the heck happened?"

rocket girl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 11:35:30 AM »
I have the People S250

scootrixx

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 03:27:06 AM »
yeah - thanks for the warning! as for  the gear oil, I pre-measured what the technical manual says - .10 liters which is about 3 oz.  I forget what the owner's manual recommended.  So far it's running fine.  phwew.
ride safely

ps - i ride the agility 125
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 03:29:06 AM by scootrixx »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()