Author Topic: Tail/Brake Light??  (Read 5295 times)

GreenSuper8

• View Profile
Tail/Brake Light??
« on: October 15, 2010, 08:31:30 PM »
Hi, all!

I am new here. As the name says, I have a Green Super 8 (150cc). I am trying to replace the tail light, and I cannot figure out how to get to it. The Service Manual is vague. It seems to suggest I have to remove the entire rear fairing. Could it really be so? That would be utterly ludicrous!!  ???
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 01:23:26 AM by GreenSuper8 »

GreenSuper8

• View Profile
Re: Tail/Brake Light??
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 08:55:52 PM »
Wait up; I figured it out. Will post how I did it later this evening, for future reference. :-)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 01:23:48 AM by GreenSuper8 »

GreenSuper8

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 12:50:19 AM »
Hi, all!

No major drama, though it took me a bit to work it out.

First of all, I am dealing with a U.S. compliant rear light assembly, where the blinkers are EXTERNAL and not in the assembly. This is only for if you want to get to the tail/brake light. I can only imagine that it would be the same for the internal blinker but cannot be sure.

Secondly, do not start undoing the screws beneath the light assembly to get to the bulb. It's tempting to think you can undo a few screws and then shimmy out the light assembly. I tried it and it doesn't work. Seems so obvious now, but I wasted quite a bit of time barking up that wrong tree.

Rather, this is the way to do it:

(1) Take out the seat bucket: 4 nuts, 2 bolts (all 10mm), 1 screw (at the front).

(2) Unbolt seat latch mechanism: 2 bolts (10 mm). Try push it to the side to keep it out of the way. Filler-cap is useful here.

(3) Remove rear grab-bar: remove rubber grommets, then undo 3 bolts (12 mm).

(4) Undo 2 retaining screws on central duck-tail panel located around the central anchor of the grab bar and directly above-center of the rear light assembly. A bit of manipulation should have the panel just snap out.

(In retrospect, I am not sure steps 3 & 4 are absolutely necessary. They give you a little more room to work and see, though, and are not a hassle)

(5) In the hollow beneath where the duck-tail panel had been, look for and peel back the rubber sock protecting the bulb-socket.

(6) Come in under the frame bar with long-nosed pliers, gently rotate the bulb-socket 90 deg. to extract it from its housing in the light assembly and reveal the bulb.

Too easy! 8)

This may be important, maybe not: I had no luck with the 2 automotive bulbs I bought. They did not seat properly in the socket and I burned a filament--once the tail-light, the other time the brake light--the moment I activated. Went to the bike store and got a Honda bulb, which worked perfectly.

(7) To re-assemble, do the reverse of the above.

So if you've stumbled onto this site looking for answers, I hope this was useful. Thanks for reading, and good luck!

GreenSuper8(150cc)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 05:59:26 AM by GreenSuper8 »

badjoke

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 11:45:07 AM »
Damn.... I gotta replace the tail light on a quannon... and I was playing with the two screws too.  Thanks for the info, it helps to know that it's gonna be harder then I thought..prob saved me a cracked red plastic tail hahah

alandok85

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 03:44:47 AM »
Nah, guys its easier to unbolt the fuel tank and lift it out to get to the tail light especially if you have big hands, I recently added an led tail light to mine and messed with it to near insanity until I figured it out, it seemed stupid once i did but its way easier to get to it that way. I simply left my tank un bolted as it kinda locks itself in place when the seat bucket is replaced.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 03:48:05 AM »
Verry cool Green8! welcome aboard!  Your first post is a hit...7 easy steps to change a 10cent light bulb. No wonder people get frustrated...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()