Author Topic: Kymco People 50 - Not A Morning Scooter!  (Read 12499 times)

MauryCocoa

• View Profile
Kymco People 50 - Not A Morning Scooter!
« on: September 28, 2010, 03:47:21 PM »
My girlfriend and I recently purchased a used 2003 Kymco People 50 with roughly 2800 km. We have had a number of problems with it but mostly it just doesn't run consistently. Some days it starts right up. Other days it doesn't. Usually once it gets started, it runs fine for a day or two.

So far I've managed to:

1. Change the spark plug (NGK BR8HSA) on numerous occasions.
2. Brought it to a local scooter shop in Gainesville, FL for a tune up.
3. Cleaned the carb (the scooter SIGNIFICANTLY improved after doing this)

So cleaning the carb drastically helped the situation but here's the latest problem... I swear this scooter will only start up AFTER 3 PM!!!
In the mornings we go to start up the scooter and NOTHING. If I come back anytime in the afternoon, it turns over with one kick!

Some things to consider:

1. The scooter sits outside, uncovered.
2. We live in Florida and it's not cold in the mornings.
3. It's pretty damp here (especially in the mornings) but the scooter will start up in the afternoon even if it's raining.
4. We are very cautious about when we give it gas on start up (so as not to flood it).
5. We frequently use a small amount of Seafoam in the gas and oil tanks... EVERYONE has warned us about water and ethanol in gas and their effect on 2-strokes.

My next steps are to replace:

1. Fuel Filter
2. Ignition Coil and Spark Plug Cap

Does anyone have any other suggestions or clues as to why this thing won't start in the mornings?

art

• View Profile
Re: Kymco People 50 - Not A Morning Scooter!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 05:58:30 PM »
  Welcome to the forum! That is kinda strange. Did they clean or change the air filter? When it is not starting have you checked to see if there is a good blue spark at the plug. There are a #of things it could be,but lets start with the cheap and free stuff  ;) Try some electrical contact cleaner at and around the kill switch and ignition spray it in the opening and work the key in out on off. A 2003 may have some wires starting to where. You should pull the front shield off and inspect any bear wire should be taped up and or rereuted. May want to check that your fuse is making good contact in the glove box pull inspect clean replace. Check that the spark plug cap is tight. Try all this if it don't work will try the next round of stuff  :D  Good luck.
Kymco peoples too many ;) I'm not an expert just a full time hobbiest.

MauryCocoa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 06:15:37 PM »
Thanks a lot ART. I tend to think it's an electrical issue as well... probably explains the sporadic behavior. That's the main reason I'm replacing the Ignition Coil. I'll try some of your suggestions regarding the contact cleaner.

I have noticed a small amount amount of fuel in the air filter at times. I've been told some amount is normal but to watch for excess. I've checked it and cleaned it on numerous occasions.

I'm really digging the Kymco People and I'm ready to start souping her up with a few performance parts as soon as I get this nagging problem figured out.

art

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 06:27:44 PM »
  The 2003 can hit 50+ easy with little mods. Do this one first if it hasn't allready been done. Unplug green wire at bottem of this unit. (cdi derestricted) I would try all the cheap and free fixes first the worst case scanerio is the stator (generator) is going. I do not know a way to test this and is a bit of a project. The fuel filter is in the bottom of the petcock you can remove this and put an inline one inplace. Pinch and cap hose first or will have gas all over the place   ;) Good luck

MauryCocoa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 07:24:45 PM »
Man, I've reading about derestricting the CDI and never really new how to go about it. Thanks for the info on that.

Yeah she was having trouble getting past 40 before the carb clean... but once I cleaned it up, she was hitting 50 pretty easily.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 10:21:34 PM »
I think your restrictions are gone. Once you havd tried arts suggestions, I wouldnt replace the coil, I would go for the cdi. Welcome to the forum.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

MauryCocoa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 12:40:53 AM »
Well let me start off by saying thank you to the warm welcome. This forum is great (I've been reading it over the last few months) and decided to join because everyone here is so helpful and positive.

Let me also say that my Kymco is a 2005 not a 2003... that was my goof.

Okay so I went over to the scooter this afternoon and sure enough, she started up after 2 kicks. Then I let her sit for a minute and tried again, nothing. I tried a few more times to no avail. So I went through and sprayed the kill switch, ignition, etc with the electrical contact spray. I opened up the front and found the CDI box (doesn't have a green wire running out the bottom, probably because it's a 2005?). But I did notice that there was a lot of corrosion on the terminal post for the black (yellow-striped) wire which, if I'm not mistaken, runs to the Ignition Coil. I cleaned it and scraped it off as best I could (the metal is definitely discolored and seems pitted, most likely from the poor contact) put the connection back together and... SHE STARTED RIGHT UP! Of course the real test will be tomorrow morning. ha. In the meantime I feel it's safe to reward/punish myself by heading over to Checkers for a Big Buford and some Fries.

So anyways, it's probably a good idea to replace the CDI... any suggestions on a brand to replace the stock one? Do they come de-restricted or do I have to cut into them like some people recommend?

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 12:50:27 AM »
Another success story, cool. there are plenty of CDIs on ebay from various sellers, just look around and you should find a good price.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

art

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 02:06:33 AM »
   If you can hit 50 mph you should be derestricted all ready. For a little more bigger main jet (around a #95) and opening the air box a bit should put you at 50+. Hope you got it figured out.

MauryCocoa

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 02:14:34 PM »
@art - Sweet. I'll definitely give those a try and report back. Found a few of your posts about drilling into the air box. Can't wait to try it out.

MauryCocoa

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 02:27:15 PM »
Also, the scooter started up no problem this morning. If we make it through the rest of the week without having a problem, I"ll be shocked. I only say that because we haven't gone an entire week yet without something going bonkers on her. I'm pretty certain that once I replace the CDI she'll be right as rain.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 05:38:57 PM »
Sounds like that bad connection you found was the culprit.  Living in Fla, you'll get morning dew/moisture/condensation forming around wires like that.  It'll keep happening especially on metal that's been scraped and abraded like you've done. 

You can get a little one-use tube of grease made for applying to connectors.  Think it's called di-electric compound.  Auto parts stores usually have it but may have to ask for it.  Keeps moisture out.

There are also some sprays that'll protect wires and such against moisture intrusion.  Spray every wire you can see with it and even rub it in well.

You live near salt water?  All the worse for these symptoms. 

Hey, is it ok to put SeaFoam in the oil tank??? 

art

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 05:51:52 PM »
 I.ve never put it in the oil tank. It is recomended for motor oil,but the fuel and oil in a 2t are going to the same place and some oils do not mix well with anything else.

MauryCocoa

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 07:47:18 PM »
Yeah my brother fixes and builds custom/vintage tube amplifiers so he's got all kinds of secret weapons against metal/electrical connections getting corroded. I'm ordering a new CDI but he said he'd take a look at the old one. I guess the metal can be retensioned, then cleaned and protected with some serious solvent he's got.

I'll post with the info on the CDI I purchased. I'm assuming the Kymco People requires a DC CDI, not AC, based on what I've read.

art

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 09:30:20 PM »
 I can't tell ya on the cdi. I've only perchased oem in the past. The kymco cobra is the = to a derestricted people 50 (and pricey) from a dealer. I assumsd the cdi was ac fired because of the size  ???  I would confirm before perchasing. If the one you have works don't bother  ;) 

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()