Author Topic: Latest Service appointment reveals all 5 rollers have flat spots  (Read 1552 times)

ClayMation

• View Profile
Latest Service appointment reveals all 5 rollers have flat spots
« on: February 24, 2018, 05:04:17 AM »
Hey,

I got back from my 8,000 mile service earlier, the tech report said all 5 rollers have flat spots and he ordered 5 rollers for me and I have an appointment next Friday at 11am.

Is this the reason my belt feels like it's "catching" at about 90mph and not proceeding past this speed when I do my speed analysis experiments?

Also, what are other symptoms I should expect till I get the rollers replaced?

Thanks.

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
Re: Latest Service appointment reveals all 5 rollers have flat spots
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 06:32:21 AM »
That could make sense if the rollers can't freely move into the highest gear position.

I've never used rollers long enough to wear (I switched to sliders which have much more longevity), but I expect that it'd be sluggish at some speeds to upshift or downshift.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 06:24:18 PM »
what is the cause of flat spots??  is it the ramp plate with sharp edge ?  I smoothed the edge of my ramp plate and the sliders last a long time,.  don't take metal off just remove the sharp edge

ClayMation

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 02:33:43 AM »
That could make sense if the rollers can't freely move into the highest gear position.

I've never used rollers long enough to wear (I switched to sliders which have much more longevity), but I expect that it'd be sluggish at some speeds to upshift or downshift.

Did you switch to sliders on a Kymco or another bike?

If Kymco, is it an expensive ordeal to switch to sliders?

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 03:00:14 AM »
 kymco downtown 300i   2011  86,000. Km.   5 years ago I installed the dr. pulley sliders and I did Mod. the variator slides for the sliders started out the scooter ran at 7,000 RPM at 60 MPH., now it runs at 5,500 RPM at 60 MPH., 
 cost 45 dollars
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 03:05:55 AM by de dee »

ClayMation

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 02:46:08 AM »
kymco downtown 300i   2011  86,000. Km.   5 years ago I installed the dr. pulley sliders and I did Mod. the variator slides for the sliders started out the scooter ran at 7,000 RPM at 60 MPH., now it runs at 5,500 RPM at 60 MPH., 
 cost 45 dollars

How much should I expect it to be if I have a mechanic friend of mine install them for me in todays USD?

Can you send me a link to the system for my 2016 Kymco Xciting500?

Thanks.

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 03:23:55 AM »
Here's a few links. I'm not familiar with any of these stores, so I can't recommend any of them in particular:

http://www.partsforscooters.com/169-346-Dr-Pulley-Sliding-Roller-Weights
http://www.scootercatalog.com/dr-pulley-28-22-sliding-roller-weights.html
http://www.extremescooters.biz/dr-pulley-28x22-sliding-roller-weights-169-346.aspx

It sounds like 30g should be a fairly neutral choice in terms of changing the stock performance.

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 05:13:35 PM »
Check this forum history! If I'm recalling correctly,  that there is an issue with Xciting sliders (exploding variators). I believe the consensus was to stick with stock rollers in this machine.

Also, for what it is worth, once I get to 90mph, I don't like it.
1.) This speed makes me nervous and increases the risk of an accident.
2.) RPM's are high at this speed and I don't think it is worth the possible damage to the engine. 75mph is about the top I will run (interstate only).
Wayne

ClayMation

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 06:48:24 PM »
Check this forum history! If I'm recalling correctly,  that there is an issue with Xciting sliders (exploding variators). I believe the consensus was to stick with stock rollers in this machine.

Also, for what it is worth, once I get to 90mph, I don't like it.
1.) This speed makes me nervous and increases the risk of an accident.
2.) RPM's are high at this speed and I don't think it is worth the possible damage to the engine. 75mph is about the top I will run (interstate only).

The technical top speed of the engine on the xciting500 is about 97 mph. It's there for a reason. Not to stay there for extended periods of time but to use it when it is needed. I generally cruise at about 75-85 mph because on the California freeway system it's actually dangerous to drive slower than it is to drive faster sometimes.

You can get mowed down by a frantic Los Angeles Driver who has no regard for your presence. I am not saying all of them are like this, or even half of them. But there is certainly a number of them like this.

What city do you reside in, Sir?

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 08:48:03 PM »
The technical top speed of the engine on the xciting500 is about 97 mph. It's there for a reason. Not to stay there for extended periods of time but to use it when it is needed. I generally cruise at about 75-85 mph because on the California freeway system it's actually dangerous to drive slower than it is to drive faster sometimes.

You can get mowed down by a frantic Los Angeles Driver who has no regard for your presence. I am not saying all of them are like this, or even half of them. But there is certainly a number of them like this.

What city do you reside in, Sir?

Now I understand. I run 70-75 while on the interstate and that's pretty safe here in the wide open prairie (Central Illinois).
Wayne

sissymary

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 03:24:18 PM »
It's normal wear. Just ignore it until you need a new belt also. At 25,000 (max) miles replace your belt rollers and the 2 pulley half's and boss. The pulley's will groove, and the boss will start to round out the inside the the inner half that slides back and forth/in and out on the boss. They wear as they are made from aluminum so that they will not destroy the belt as it go's up and down. You will be good for another 25K. Use original parts only. :-*

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()