Author Topic: What is best anti-seize lube?  (Read 129 times)

Stig

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
What is best anti-seize lube?
« on: February 10, 2018, 11:50:00 AM »
Copper based, or the silver stuff?
Want to use on caliper slide pins, exhaust header nuts, and maybe spark plugs, etc (- although some say don't use on spark plugs?)

Advice?

Stig
The first will be last - and the last will get a crown.
2012 KYMCO LIKE200iLX
2018 Piaggio Liberty 150S

big blue

• View Profile
Re: What is best anti-seize lube?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 12:40:07 PM »
I've used the Permatex anti-seize compound (silver) for years on both bikes and cars and have never had an issue with bolts or spark plugs that would not release. As for not using it on plugs I go by the better-safe-than-sorry rule. Many years ago I had a plug shoot out of the head on a BMW 1600 head because I was afraid of over tightening. From then on I always used the anti- seize.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 12:44:30 PM by big blue »
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX  Salem, Oregon USA

eamartin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 07:00:20 PM »
Not sure about caliper pins but there doesn't seem to be the precise contact of dissimilar metals in this instance, does there?
If you use it on exhaustx prepare for initial smoke and smell after which it doesn't seem to be a problem, although I'm sure if the heat limits its' effectiveness.
I don't hesitate to use it on plug threads when I think about it.

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 02:38:34 PM »
My memory is kind of vague, but I seem to recall it being best to use special brake grease for the brake components. Possibly synthetic being ideal?

This is what I used last time. My local shop had it in stock for not much money, and it seemed to be what I needed: https://www.amazon.com/Versachem-26189-12PK-Synthetic-Caliper-Grease/dp/B00C3ZA36G/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Here's a ranked comparison of brake grease: https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-caliper-greases
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 02:42:00 PM by hypophthalmus »

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 02:44:54 PM »
I also remember making the assumption that it would be pretty easy to find a variety locally, which ended up not being the case.

CROSSBOLT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 03:43:01 PM »
I have always used the silver stuff on spark plugs and bolts into aluminum in bikes, cars and aircraft. there may be something better but I don't know what it is. Kinda one of those if it ain't broke deals.....
Karl

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 03:36:31 PM »
I use the copper (heat-proof) Permatex for no particular reason except that's what's in my toolbox and it works.

NOCO Genius Battery Chargers, 25% Off + Free Shipping