Author Topic: Replacement battery for 450i  (Read 1344 times)

airshot

• View Profile
Replacement battery for 450i
« on: February 10, 2018, 01:19:46 AM »
   My machine is now a little more than 2 yrs old and the original battery is showing signs of fatigue this winter. I cant complain for such a small battery so I am shopping for a replacement.  Just wondering what others might have found that fits or perhaps a better battery then the stock one. Appreciate any and all responses. I have not found any thing more than the original 18ah in a size that fits so...open to all recommendations.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
Re: Replacement battery for 450i
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 04:30:58 AM »
what is the size of the battery case,  ???? pick the battery to fit the case, largest you can find, 

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 10:15:51 AM »
I'm in my 3rd winter with original battery, never a problem, fires right up, even in -15°f, but I don't have a winch, and don't run lights all the time.  not sure how much a winch affects battery life.

Have you considered a lithium battery, they are much smaller for same energy, but from what I understand, you have to get used to getting the electrons flowing with lights before you have full cranking power in cold weather

for extra cranking power, I bet you can fit a small car battery in the underseat storage, an AGM battery does not have to be placed vertical, you can tip them or even lay them on their side
RandyO
IBA#9560

jew8201

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 02:29:58 PM »
Airshot I replaced mine with a super start powersports battery like this https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/extreme-power-sport-agm-5001/power-sports-16869/atv---motorcycle-accessories-16835/motorcycle---atv---pwc-batteries-17356/super-start-extreme-power-sport-agm-battery/etx16/4742669/2014/nissan/titan?q=Atv+battery from orielly. Not sure if that one there is the exact model I got or not. But it’s a very nice battery had over double the cold cranking amps of the stock battery. Fit right in there perf cr fit. Check them out.

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 05:48:44 PM »
   DeeDee that is my plan, just wondered what others have found to fit.
   Randyo mine is still working well even in the cold but the winch draws an awfull lot of power and plowing with the lights on drains a lot from the battery. In past years it wasn't to bad but this year the battery is really working to finnish the drive so I put it on a trickle charger, while this helps I can tell the battery is going, not holding a charge for as long so might as well start looking for a new one.
   Jew8201..thanks for that recommendation, that is what I was looking for is what others have used and how they work out.
  Considered the lithium battery even know a few folks that have them, not sure if the cost is worth it, from those that have them, they say they are OK but a little hesitant about the cost of a charger along with the battery cost and then add on the winter cold, they loose a lot of their power in the cold. I use lithium batteries in my radio control toys and cold weather shortens there charge an awfull lot! I think I will stay with agm or a sealed battery for less cold weather headaches. Just need to find the most powerfull battery that will fit in that hole.  Thanks for all the replys

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 06:54:54 PM »
I removed battery, measured it, then went to YUASA specs page and bought same size battery case with largest CCA, keeping same  battery post position.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 03:46:43 AM »
I removed battery, measured it, then went to YUASA specs page and bought same size battery case with largest CCA, keeping same  battery post position.

Stig

That is pretty much my plan, just thought there might be something really wonderfull out there I was not familiar with. I don't keep up on battery updates until I need one, then I have to do a lot of searching.  Factory battery is 18ah and so far have not found one any higher that will fit in the battery hole.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 01:42:24 PM »
I have decided on our 500i UXV to use a cheepo lawn and garden battery in the storage box next to the proper battery box. My sense of design order is offended by such a jack-leg idea but practicality rules.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

jew8201

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 12:14:56 PM »
Airshot what battery did you ever end up with?

*i feel like so many threads on this forum get left open with no closure. Not just this site but others as well.

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 06:27:53 PM »
    I haven't yet, after the snow stopped and the severe cold went away I have not had a single problem with the battery. I know the winch used a lot of power over the snow season with all the plowing, and yes I mostly plow after dark so headlights on at the same time so I figured the battery was going bad. I could be the stator will not keep up with everything going, but after I stopped plowing, no more battery issues.  I did get a mini battery tender to keep on the battery thru the extreme cold and that helped a lot, but after the extreme cold I have not used it since and the battery has been fine. If I travel to go riding I do have a small auxiliary battery to take along just in case...  Will probably replace it before next winter unless another problem arrises before then...

jew8201

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2018, 07:28:20 PM »
    I haven't yet, after the snow stopped and the severe cold went away I have not had a single problem with the battery. I know the winch used a lot of power over the snow season with all the plowing, and yes I mostly plow after dark so headlights on at the same time so I figured the battery was going bad. I could be the stator will not keep up with everything going, but after I stopped plowing, no more battery issues.  I did get a mini battery tender to keep on the battery thru the extreme cold and that helped a lot, but after the extreme cold I have not used it since and the battery has been fine. If I travel to go riding I do have a small auxiliary battery to take along just in case...  Will probably replace it before next winter unless another problem arrises before then...

Good deal. Sounds like the cold and working it was just getting all the battery could give. If you do replace I have been very happy with the battery I purchased from oreilly (see link in earlier post). Happy riding. Warmer longer days are coming

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()