Author Topic: Clutch assembly replaced, some issues remain.  (Read 807 times)

ClayMation

• View Profile
Clutch assembly replaced, some issues remain.
« on: February 05, 2018, 06:02:08 AM »
Hi,

So I recently had my clutch assembly replaced (which was thankfully covered by my warranty) but the bike still idles at around 2000 rpms, It's like, as soon as I turn the engine on the dial pops from zero to 2 on the RPM gauge.

Another disturbing thing is that I was on the freeway this morning and I got up to about 75 and I started getting a 'catching' sensation on the clutch, and it would bog a little and not increase speed beyond that.

It was about 2 exits before my exit and I got off the freeway then and used surface streets on my way home after work.

Any ideas? I want to be armed with knowledge before I bring it into the dealer *again*.

Thank you.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch assembly replaced, some issues remain.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 12:12:12 PM »
Any changes in tach reading during "catching" of the clutch? Treat this for what it cost you since it is a guess: the dealer techs probably did not get the belt jammed into the rear pulley far enough so the front pulley could be fully seated. It is tough to do on a 300 so it should be super-tough on a 500. This needs to be investigated.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 01:34:19 PM by CROSSBOLT »
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

ClayMation

• View Profile
Re: Clutch assembly replaced, some issues remain.
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 06:44:03 AM »
Any changes in tach reading during "catching" of the clutch? Treat this for what it cost you since it is a guess: the dealer techs probably did not get the belt jammed into the rear pulley far enough so the front pulley could be fully seated. It is tough to do on a 300 so it should be super-tough on a 500. This needs to be investigated.

It's difficult to notice things like a jump on the Tachometer when driving at freeway speeds. I can try to see if I notice this if it happens again at any speed. But I did email the issue to the tech consultant.

I hope they isolate the issue, I just want to enjoy my bike it only has 8700 miles on it.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()