Author Topic: Kymco people 50 stalls badly in cold weather  (Read 1647 times)

toyo

• View Profile
Kymco people 50 stalls badly in cold weather
« on: January 28, 2018, 03:49:37 AM »
Hi Forum, my scooter has always been lazy to start in cold weather, but it has gotten worse over time. What really puzzles me and it has been reeeeally gotten worse is that on the first kick (or electric starter touch) on a cold morning, it will start just fine. But as it warms up, I have to be constantly accelerating it ( a lot!) or it will definitely stall.
Now, if it stalls (and it usually does), it becomes impossible to restart it with the electric starter (it acts out like the battery is almost drained, the engine barely turns...this after it turned with no problem when the engine was much colder!). So then I have no choice but to kick start it, and even so, it stalls and stalls. This has become almost dangerous, as it can stall on a red traffic light and I have to put on the main stand to restart it. Not fun in rush hour...

A mechanic looked into this, disassembled the carb hoping to find a clogged bystarter circuit.  Nope, carb looked fine and original bystarter operated normally.
I will appreciate any input if somebody has gone through something like this!
Sorry for the long post.
THANK YOU FORUM!

tortoise

• View Profile
Re: Kymco people 50 stalls badly in cold weather
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 06:25:49 PM »
A mechanic looked into this, disassembled the carb hoping to find a clogged bystarter circuit.  Nope, carb looked fine and original bystarter operated normally.
People S50 4-stroke per previous post . . so did the mechanic also check valve clearance?

toyo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 03:57:44 AM »
I don't think he checked on that, he concentrated mostly on the carb. I am making a note of that so when I take it back. Thanks Tortoise!

Rory

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 08:32:04 AM »
Charge your battery. I had the same issue when I left my scooter key on and drained the battery. I was able to limp it home. But yeah, would start up and when I came to a stop it would slowly die and sputter. I think my strator is gone and needs replacing. But I charged my battery and haven't had a problem since. Still is a beast to get started in cold weather still.

toyo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 02:52:56 AM »
Thank you Rory. I keep my battery with a batt tender, but it has been awhile since I bought it, maybe it is time to replace it. I appreciate the input

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 02:02:20 PM »
For what it is worth, the Agility 50 I had was really bad, cranky and irritating to start in cold weather. Everything was "right" as far as valves, battery, oil, etc. Had to play with the throttle, hold my mouth right just to get it to run. Was SO happy to get the Yager with EFI and effortless and consistent starts. That's how you FIX carburetor starting problems!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 05:38:48 PM »
Maybe this isn't always the case, but when I had a bike with a kickstarter, it would run fine with a bad battery.

Checking the valves is a good idea.

Besides the bystarter, there's also the air/fuel pilot adjustment and clogged idle passages to consider.

Reading the spark plug might help.

A small vacuum leak would explain it running better with the throttle open.

toyo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 07:38:57 PM »
Thank you guys for your responses and inputs. Crossbolt, I am sort of inclining your way: seems like nothing mechanically will improve this scooter for being lazy and simply hating cold days. She's getting older and the symptoms are simply getting worse.
I am taking all of your kind input to pass it over to my mechanic, but let's see if it will make a difference. Thanks again!

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 12:44:24 AM »
Disliking being started first thing on a cold day sounds normal. Stalling once it's warmed up sounds like an issue.

Even if it's the result old age, it should also be possible to identify what's wearing that's causing the problem.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()