Author Topic: Hibernating ?  (Read 1365 times)

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
Hibernating ?
« on: January 12, 2018, 05:26:15 PM »
Hello, any one there? I guess everyone is hibernating. The posting seems to have dried up. Seems to me, that when the weather is bad, as it has been here in the U. S. this winter, there would be more post. Oh well, go figure. Here  in the Memphis, Tennessee area we have ice and snow this a.m. It was 60 something yesterday. I am just thankful that we haven't lost power,  yet. With all my activities of last summer and fall, I neglected to service my generator and now it's sitting covered up with junk in the shop with a tank full of stale gas and dirty oil. Oh well, so much for my Boy Scout oath. If anyone reads this, just saying hello.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Hibernating ?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 05:56:29 PM »
Yep, banging around 0° too many times to even service the scooters. Just moving the battery tender around to the 4 rides. ..and waiting for mirror parts.
The weather :22yr old furnace died when -7°F while I was having coffee next to it. 26 hrs later had a new Bryant furnace & a/c...and much lighter wallet.
Now down in Tampa, FL, 2nd time in 6 weeks attending to Mom.
Saw 2 scoots this morning.
The gulf area traffic is nuts this time of year. No way I'd get out there on those highways on a scooter. Miles long parking lots, or going 85mph...nothing in between.
Teaching me to appreciate all those wintry rides I used to have previous years. Just layer up and switch on the gloves and go for coffee.
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 06:44:27 PM »
 I've been staring at the mess in my garage, contemplating where to start organizing. I can't ride for a while, so I get around on crutches and work around the house on a wheeled office chair. I have been getting cabin fever.  My wife takes me with her  to the grocery store so I can get out of the house. I ride around the store in the electric 4 wheel scooter.  It is my sweet revenge to other customers in the store. ( I have worked on supermarket refrigeration equipment for 30 years)
 I have noticed a lull in posts recently. I assumed it may have been due to the holidays, as well as the insane weather in the east. Some friends in the south sent pictures of the snow. Crazy.  We had a storm that caused severe destruction in the fire areas to the north, but it has since passed. Good luck and stay warm this winter.
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 06:47:29 PM »
Scoots are hibernating, sxs did not! Had to tend to neighbor's mail and animals while he is IN FLORIDA!! So fired up one cylinder and 4 wheels. Big, soft, knobby tires did well in 26 F and slightly slick stuff. Nearly froze! Fingers so cold that well water at 60 F felt warm.

I have noticed that posting here seems a little slow lately so it is not just you, Mac. Hope Mom is doing well, Stig. Me? I'm by the heater!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 06:54:32 PM »
Not completely but 30's and raining does tend to keep me off the road.
It's just no fun then.  A bit dangerous when I absolutely had to ride the other day.

Currently waiting for a break in the showers to get down to a local shop to swap the tire in the burger...Intermittent showers means "Whenever Tromper pokes his snoot out of the garage" apparently.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 11:50:49 PM »
 I am glad it is not the same as when I was young,  commen 40 below for 3 or 4 weeks,  now 40 below once in a while, 20 or 30 below happens all the time,  10 above this morning,  tonite 30 below, at noon it was 0 C.   got out for a ride for a 1/2 hour,  was it ever nice! ,  felt like I was with the living again,  had to bring my impack gun batterys in as the were freezing and lost there charge, 

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 03:56:03 AM »
Well now I know there are some of us that are not hibernating. Did some one mention cabin fever. Doc says I'll be on a walker for the next 3 to 4 months. It's only been a week and a half and I'm stir crazy already.,grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. All you guys be careful and wash your hands like crazy, there's some nasty bugs out there this flu season. Be glad when it gets hot again and I am able to ride again. Has anyone heard anything about scooter Dan's wife, deb? Have her on my prayer list. Hope your mom is making okay Tom. Stay well and stay safe, we'll get thru this thing together.............
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 10:08:47 AM »
I've been out on the bike a few times, but only commuting really - pretty boring stuff.

Wintertime, I find, once the Christmas carry on is past, is a time for getting stuff done inside the house and I'm sure you don't want to hear of my exciting painting and decorating exploits.

Still, it's supposed to be 8c tomorrow and quite pleasant with light winds, so I might take the DT up to town for a wash and go for a short ride afterwards.

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
same here OTW
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 12:32:18 PM »
23 degrees and snow on the ground in East tn. It was 63 yesterday and rainy.
I have not ridden in quiet a while. Getting cabin fever like everyone else.
I`m so far behind this year I have not done maintenance on my riding mower.
Last night our power went off twice. Thank goodness it was for short periods only. I do have back up heat if I need it.
I long for a warm sunny day and a good long ride.
This would be a good time to adjust the valves on my 300GT but, I just have not felt like doing it. O well.
Seems the older I get, the less I feel like doing or want to do.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 10:43:50 PM »
Yelp, boo, I can identify. As the ole saying goes, "The older I get, the better I was." I'm the sort that's got to be doing something. Right now that is restricted to going on line and building model cars. I have approx. 400 in my collection , so it's getting very hard to find a kit that I haven't already built.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 09:36:39 PM »
Right now that is restricted to going on line and building model cars. I have approx. 400 in my collection , so it's getting very hard to find a kit that I haven't already built.

2 wheels - that's funny, I also get bored and antsy and have built a few model cars over the past few years in the winter months...I built a bunch as a kid and they were all terrible...building as an adult is quite a bit different..other than having trouble seeing...the models turn out a whole lot better! Do you have any pics to share?
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 10:30:23 PM »
I can get a lot of pictures, but I can't send them until my new computer arrives. When to upload some pictures of some items I wanted to put on Craigslist and they would not upload from the camera and I went into my programs and the one for the camera wasn't there. This old Dell is about 13 years old and still using XP on it. I order a new Dell and it should be here Tue. the 16th. As soon as I can get it set up, I'll send you more pic's. I think I may have a couple in one of my albums, if I can find them, I'll attach one here. I'm not too smart when it comes to computers, so I can only send one shot per reply, unless some one can tell me how to attach more than one frame per reply. I'm gonna try to learn how to do the bucket photo thingie.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 10:42:09 PM »
cars look great, thanks!
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2018, 06:17:22 AM »
I know how frustrating it can be confined to a walker for a few months, especially if you’re an outdoor type. This may not be a consolation. But at least it’s winter. My time on the walker was during my favorite time of the year, SUMMER. But at any rate, I wish you a complete recovery. Take care of yourself. God bless.
2009 Xciting 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2018, 11:42:06 AM »
Thanks for the pix Two Wheels.
Prayers for you're recovery.
I flew back in to Ohio yesterday, between snow events....
Dang it...more on the ground out there.
Mirror parts arrived from the U.K., so i can work on that.
I feel for folks who have not found a hobby, yet.
(my main one, of course, for 45 straight years now - is children in the house.  And, no, not grandchildren. My kids....Which leads to conversations like: "Cool, your Grandpa comes to all of our games!" And, school office lady: " Sarah, your Grandfather is here to take you to your dentist appointment."
I DO always ask if they have seniors entrance price for game adm.
My wife said that my daughter acted so much "more mature" while I was in Florida for 4 days. (yeah, well Mrs Stig doesn't know about all the goofy texts we were sending ea. other)

We all need a break from this winter!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()