Author Topic: Went down in the snow today  (Read 1006 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Went down in the snow today
« on: December 31, 2017, 10:12:22 PM »

No, not on the scooter - fell in the snow while walking into our large local grocery store.
Fortunately only a few dozen people and several cars witnessed my fall.

I considered staying down and maybe milking the situation - but the only person who seemed overly concerned was another old guy.
Figured I'd only pull him down in the store entrance with me - and we'd just be a nice log jam of seniors laying there - so I crawled elegantly to my feet, covered in gray snow and slush.

Recently read about a guy who dumped and dented his new Vespa while attempting a 1 MPH U-Turn.
I'd rather be a prostrate spectacle in a store entrance, than drop my beloved scooter!

First time I've fallen in the snow in several years.

In a 10 day period of wicked cold days here (single digit highs and -0 windchills) - with 6" of new snow.
Too cold to think of fooling with the scooters in the garage.

"Roadcraft" seemed to be the appropriate category for this...
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
Re: Went down in the snow today
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 10:54:04 PM »
Glad youre Ok Stig. Gave me a scare with the title. Thought maybe you had damaged your scooter. Remember ATGATT.  ;)
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 12:43:09 AM »
Brodie 1, Brodie 1, Brodie 2, over.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

fishcutter44

• Rhode Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 01:29:59 AM »
Good to hear you're ok, Stig.  It's been wicked cold here on the east coast, too.  One of my co-workers got a bit of frostbite on his face yesterday; easy to do when temps in single digits and windy.
BTW, do you still have your Kymco?  I thought I had read you traded in for a Piaggio, both excellent bikes!
Kurt
2016 Kymco Like 200i
2005 Bajaj Chetak
2017 Honda Metro
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Special
1965 Fuji Rabbit Touring

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 01:36:38 AM »
Good to hear you're ok, Stig.  It's been wicked cold here on the east coast, too.  One of my co-workers got a bit of frostbite on his face yesterday; easy to do when temps in single digits and windy.
BTW, do you still have your Kymco?  I thought I had read you traded in for a Piaggio, both excellent bikes!
Kurt
Oh, yes!
Keeping the Kymco LIKE200i forever, I think....
Its resale value wouldn't equal its value to me.
And, yes, swapped the Burgman for a Piaggio bigwheel 150...more my speed.
Have a happy new year!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 01:47:56 AM »
Brodie 1, Brodie 1, Brodie 2, over.

Karl

Happy new year there, Old Friend  !
(heat pad on knee. Milking the battle wounds....and trying to recall the color of the Buick which hit me...for the grandkids. 👀)
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 02:57:40 AM »
Glad to hear you're okay. I went down a week ago last Friday. I went to a noon, opening day Star Wars screening (before any spoilers were out
and online).

I timed it so I'd get out before the predicted snow fall we were getting that day. Of course not only was it fully snowing when the movie got out, but a good inch was on the ground. Two jaunts down 50 mph freeways, our town's main streets, and the main road leading to my block, and I thought I'd made it through the storm. I slowed to make a left turn and down I went (going about 3 mph). I swore and laughed at the irony as I laid belly up in the middle of the road. I survived the snow, icy roads and slush only to slip one block from my house (but the roads and snow were heavier by then). Just minor damage -- just some scuffed up paneling, which is now part of my 'to do' list for my earl spring tune up. No injuries, just a small bruise on my right knee. I was wearing a new armored jacket, full face helmet, heavy winter gloves, and boots.

My 'don't ride in the snow' rule was flaunted just to see Star Wars, but Empire was RUINED for me and my family back in 1980 as we waited in line by people walking out the the theater, and it happened again with Episode VII by (unmentionable word screamed here) spoilers online. Film and animation are my thing so I'd be damned if I'd let it happen again.

- Wolf

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 04:21:12 AM »
Don't know how to break this to you Stig, my boy, but in a few short years you won't need snow or ice to to blame for a fall. I used to wonder why old men took such short steps, and now I know...
All jokes aside, I'm glad nothing but your dignity was hurt. H A P P Y  N E W  Y E A R everyone one.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 05:01:47 PM »
Glad to hear you are okay, Stig. And glad to hear your scooter is safe, also. It's amazing how little it takes to lose one's grip and **SWISH - SPLAT** you are looking at the sky. Stay safe in all this cold weather.
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 10:08:03 PM »
Glad you are still in working order Stig and I am just glad that I don't have to ride in that type of weather.  Black ice must be a problem on the roads as well.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()