Author Topic: Electrical Problems - 2009 Kymco Xciting 500RI ABS  (Read 3908 times)

ss10gotanks

• View Profile
Electrical Problems - 2009 Kymco Xciting 500RI ABS
« on: December 16, 2017, 05:31:50 AM »
So to start, I am not very good when it comes to working on vehicles. I fix computers, not so much cars. But I'm willing to learn. I also have friends that do stuff with their own cars that will help me when I buy the parts. So I bought the bike knowing there is phantom drain on the battery. I figured it was the stator or the wiring since the guy said he had just bought a new battery for it. There is only one place in town that will work on my bike and from what I gathered they can't fix it. They replaced the stator and told me it was fixed but the bike died twice on the way home. After a couple of weeks they told me that they can't pinpoint the problem and that it was probably the wiring harness and that it would cost thousands of dollars to fix. I can't afford that, so my choices are try to sell the bike with a problem that is getting worse or try to fix it myself. It's my only transportation right now so I'd like to get it working if I can. So i'd like to pick ya'lls brains on this if I could before I buy any parts. Please bare with me if I ask any dumb questions.

So here is what the bike is doing.

So when I got the bike it was running pretty well. It started dying after riding for like 30-45 minutes mainly only on starting and when I'm at a complete stop. Like at a stop light. The more I drove it the worse it started getting. The shop said the stator wasn't all the way dead but it was on its way out. My battery tested okay for them but the shop couldn't figure out the problem they had it deep checked or something like that, and there is a bad cell in it. In order for my bike to work now I have to take out the battery and charge it in my house. That used to work okay, but now when I charge it the bike very well might still not start. Its hit or miss. W/e it would die and not turn over, the lights and the horn would still work. I have noticed that the times the bike won't start that the positive terminal heats up a lot. The cable itself doesn't seem  to up as much as the screw that holds it to the battery. One time it heated up so much that a bit of the metal on the battery melted off. I've also burned myself on it. Now when the bike starts fine there is no heat at all. I thought it was just the positive but the day before yesterday it was the negative terminal. Maybe one of the screws is doing something? idk. That's all I can think of right now.

If ya'll have any probing questions, I'll answer as best I can. Do ya'll think its the wiring harness? I saw one on ebay for like 70 dollars. I haven't been able to find any youtube videos on replacing that, just a service manual which is hard to understand. If anyone has any tips on replacing it from someone who has done it before as well as tools I'll need to make sure I have would be much appreciated.

I really like this bike. It drives smoothly. Please help me get it back up and going if possible.

Thanks!

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
Re: Electrical Problems - 2009 Kymco Xciting 500RI ABS
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 06:33:06 AM »
If your battery tested bad and is readily going dead, then it sounds like it's time for a new battery. What's the voltage? Does the voltage drop overnight if it's not connected? Does it drop if it is?

The stator can/should be tested by checking the voltage when the engine is running.

Do you happen to know if it was arcing at the battery terminal that was getting hot? Maybe the connection is loose or corroded?

It is still dying after running for a while? That could be a lot of things.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 02:35:03 PM »
Should have read this one first! OK, you are committed. You work on computers? OK, you are qualified! Start with what Hypophthalmus said. Get a multimeter if you don't have one. Report back when you do for the next step.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 01:55:24 AM »
The best way to check the condition of a 12v battery is to LOAD test it. In order to do this, you should remove the battery and charge it up all the way. You should get between 13 and 14 VDC. Let it sit over night, preferably in a warm place. Then check it again with a multi meter. If the battery is good then you should still get the same as before. If it passes that test you can take it any of the chain auto parts stores and they can do a load test on it, for free. If it passes that test, then you have a good battery and it's time to look else where for the problem. Keep us posted as to what you find. If it's not the battery, then follow Karl's advise and we'll give you step 2.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

ss10gotanks

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 12:35:10 AM »
Sorry it took so long to get back with ya'll it took some time for me to borrow a multimeter. Here is the results that I got.

I fully charged the battery and it read 13.02- the bike wouldn't start but almost did a couple of times. I left the battery connected the whole day and check again and the voltage was 12.42.

I then fully charged the battery before bed and it read at 13.02. I let it sit inside the whole night and went to bed. When I woke up in the morning it was 12.92. I checked it again when I got home from work 9 hours later and the battery was at 12.86.

So I bought a new battery that came in the other day. It arrived fully dead so I had to charge it. It will not start up in the bike at all. All it does when I try to start the bike is do a big spark from the positive terminal and nothing else.

This is the battery I bought.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01292US4E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 12:46:54 AM »
Your old battery was toast. Did you put the acid in the new battery before charging?

Karl
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

ss10gotanks

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 01:44:04 AM »
acid?

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 02:01:46 PM »
Yeah, you get a battery shipped to you there is a well sealed jug of electrolyte included to pour into the drycharged cells. You buy a battery inna box at Walmart, you get the same thing. Some even have bottles with six spouts so you get all six cells filled precisely right in one pour! This is all about the common lead-acid battery. What kind did you get?

OK, I read the fine print on your Amazon link. Sound like you got a bad battery. Their description sounds very much like a chinese to english translation. 35 bucks for completely sealed battery sounds.....well....a little TOO GOOD to be true. Getcher money back and get a battery locally or get a Yuasa.

Get the multimeter back, get the bike started and measure the battery voltage at idle and at 4000 rpm (on centerstand!). Then tell us whatcha found.
Karl
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 02:53:16 PM by CROSSBOLT »
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 05:34:16 PM »
Listen to Karl. He is is giving you solid advise.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2017, 07:35:06 PM »
Agreed that Yuasa batteries are a safer bet and should last much longer.

But there's a spark coming from the terminal when you try to start it? That's an indication that the connection to the battery is bad, and not allowing enough current to pass through. Either loose, or corroded... or something else?

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 02:14:08 AM »
If it fits in the battery box.

Karl
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2018, 02:47:18 AM »
Yes, that appears to be what their website recommends. It probably says 14-BS somewhere on your old battery too.

ss10gotanks

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2018, 04:42:24 AM »
well the one I bought fit just fine, but it didn't work. Just the spark thing. The old battery didn't spark. I'll try to charge up my old battery to see if I can get my bike to turn over to give ya'll the readings. If I can't i'll have to get back with ya'll once I get the new battery.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2018, 12:26:13 PM »
Something is missing big time in what you are telling us! New battery: did you put the acid in? Did you charge it before installing it in the bike? Just exactly where is this sparking occuring?

Karl
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()