Author Topic: Super 9 Mot Failed! Need Advise. Head Bearings  (Read 1441 times)

Butch1978

• View Profile
Super 9 Mot Failed! Need Advise. Head Bearings
« on: April 26, 2018, 10:59:14 AM »
Hi
My sons Super 9 was attempted to be stolen in December this year, and the lovely pleasant people who decided they want the bike for themselves broke the handle bars, which I had to replace. Now I took it in for its MOT today and it failed on the following

1. Steering Headbearing has Excessive Free Play
2. Steering Movement excessively rough with the weight on the lower bearing
3. Steering Movement excessively rough with the wheel raised

I am ok with general DIY mechanics, but would this be a big job? Any advise would be appreciated

thanks
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 12:22:24 PM by Butch1978 »

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
Re: Super 9 Mot Failed! Need Advise. Head Bearings
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 07:35:24 AM »
Hi,

Sorry to hear about your son's bike. To be honest, it's a bit of a sod of a job; not because it's difficult, but because of the disassembly it requires.

You'll need to take off the front forks, the handlebars again and remove the yoke from the bike. From there, you'll need to use some sort of punch to remove the old bearing races (have to be chiselled until they slide up the yoke) and then use a bit of PVC pipe or something to push new ones on with a mallet and a piece of work.

It's a really expensive garage job because it requires so much disassembly, expecially with removing fairings, but the parts aren't expensive; it's just tedious.

There's loads of helpful tutorials on Youtube. If you've got the bearings, I'd put aside a day to  get it done if you haven't done it before.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Butch1978

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 07:52:29 PM »

Thanks for the advice, I’m going to have a crack at it at the weekend. I have been reading that it could be something loose? Is that possible? It does it sound like a complete replace of the head bearings?

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your son's bike. To be honest, it's a bit of a sod of a job; not because it's difficult, but because of the disassembly it requires.

You'll need to take off the front forks, the handlebars again and remove the yoke from the bike. From there, you'll need to use some sort of punch to remove the old bearing races (have to be chiselled until they slide up the yoke) and then use a bit of PVC pipe or something to push new ones on with a mallet and a piece of work.

It's a really expensive garage job because it requires so much disassembly, expecially with removing fairings, but the parts aren't expensive; it's just tedious.

There's loads of helpful tutorials on Youtube. If you've got the bearings, I'd put aside a day to  get it done if you haven't done it before.

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 10:40:05 AM »
Thanks for the advice, I’m going to have a crack at it at the weekend. I have been reading that it could be something loose? Is that possible? It does it sound like a complete replace of the head bearings?

Sometimes it's amazing what a proper adjustment and re-grease can do to bearings. See how it feels. You might be able to get away with not changing them.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Butch1978

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 11:19:03 AM »
Sometimes it's amazing what a proper adjustment and re-grease can do to bearings. See how it feels. You might be able to get away with not changing them.
Thanks for all the above viper! It did need tightening as it was loose, but as I had already brought the new bearing kit, I thought I might as well change them! Lucky I did as there was no bearings at the bottom! I can only assume when the little w*****s who tried to steal it last year forced the steering so hard it de lodged the bottom bearings! All good now ! From start to finish took around 3 hours!
Thanks again 

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()