Author Topic: Owning a great scooter from a lousy dealer?  (Read 890 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Owning a great scooter from a lousy dealer?
« on: December 08, 2017, 11:27:52 PM »
Should I buy a great scooter if :

1) if I have a lousy local dealer?

2) or, if the dealer is at some distance away?

3) or, goodness, if I must buy from a lousy, distant dealer?

Some of us face one of these problems if we want to own and ride a scooter.
For me - a great dealership has the scooter I want, with a trusted service dept. and responsive parts dept. But few of us live near a great dealership.

I can wave off all 3 of the above and the behavior of the salesman, and the price discount, and the service & parts departments IF certain factors line up for the scooter I've decided would be great to own.
#1 - is the scooter a good fit for my DIY servicing skills?
#2 - are parts available & simple to find? 

I've learned by trial and error not to overlook #1, no matter how great the scooter is! I enjoy working on my scooter and I like to keep it in top condition.
But, I will begin to dislike the scooter if the servicing intimidates me.
I could skip the servicing - as so many do - but that's not how I'm made.

So, if it fits your definition of a great scooter - and you can handle its DIY servicing & get parts for it - I say do not let the quality or location of dealers become a deal breaker.

I understand - not everyone can, or wants to,  work on their scooter - so the dealer becomes very important.
I want a scooter - but owning a scooter in the U.S.A. makes little sense - and if everything had to line up just right - darn few of us would own one!

Stig
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 11:48:43 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Owning a great scooter from a lousy dealer?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 01:42:24 AM »
Really sensible post, Stig! Kinda puts things in perspective.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 03:29:17 AM »
And darn few of us do own a scooter. In the U.S. if you do own a scooter, it's because you enjoy riding one, not because it's a necessary mean of transportation. Where there is little demand for a product, there is little support for that product, but I'm not moving to a 3rd world country so that my scooter will have an abundance of parts available. I want to buy my scooter from a 3rd world country, for a reasonable price and have it built to a quality that won't require many parts. Enter Kymco. And that's my second reason for owning one. Page two right after the break...
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 01:39:19 PM »
I buy used so I am not really concerned with the dealers. I definitely consider your parts 1 & 2 Stig. Great post sir.

#1 - is the scooter a good fit for my DIY servicing skills?
#2 - are parts available & simple to find?
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 03:31:40 PM »
Quote from: ole two wheels rilink=topic=25400.msg181110#msg181110 date=1512790157
And darn few of us do own a scooter. In the U.S. if you do own a scooter, it's because you enjoy riding one, not because it's a necessary mean of transportation.. Page two right after the break...
Well actually ole 2,
I bought my first scoot (the bullet proof LIKE200i) as my primary means of transportation for work commuting. My Jetta had served  me well for over a quarter of a century...but Ohio salt had eaten it.
Ok, so scootering to work at 5:30am in Midwestern winters might be a bit of sport.....
But a bus stop was only a mile away, as back-up.
This worked well enough for 3 years...then SomeBody provided me with John,  a new Stupidvisor from H_ll... (added to the two coworkers from H_ll for 15+ yrs = this conversation:
"Good morning John. I'll need another 5 gal. of paint - oh, and I just phoned personnel. I quit."

Mrs Stig says this all was Heavenly Sent,  since it seemed like I was never going to retire, otherwise.....
I still enjoy scooter riding at 5:30am. ...but I no longer have to deal with 3 idiots when I arrive at my destination.
Stig
(cathartic post #36)

« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 03:33:24 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 03:13:43 AM »
Okay Stig, there are exceptions. In fact When I got out of the army in 1970, I bought an old 62 Chevy pickup. When I finally a job, and a darn good one, I needed one more vehicle, as my wife needed one also. About that time the Memphis schools decided to cancel the motorcycle safety training program they had tried and they had a bunch of torn up. beat up, ragged out Honda CB250's they were selling off dirt cheap..  got there early and got a pretty decent bike. Most of 'em looked they had spent more time. down than up. Anyway I rode that little bike back and forth to work, about 30 miles each way, year round, in all kinds of weather. So I guess I can kind of identify with you, but scooters are mainly bought in American for riding preasure, agreed?
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 03:25:14 AM »
Okay Stig, there are exceptions. In fact When I got out of the army in 1970, I bought an old 62 Chevy pickup. When I finally a job, and a darn good one, I needed one more vehicle, as my wife needed one also. About that time the Memphis schools decided to cancel the motorcycle safety training program they had tried and they had a bunch of torn up. beat up, ragged out Honda CB250's they were selling off dirt cheap..  got there early and got a pretty decent bike. Most of 'em looked they had spent more time. down than up. Anyway I rode that little bike back and forth to work, about 30 miles each way, year round, in all kinds of weather. So I guess I can kind of identify with you, but scooters are mainly bought in American for riding preasure, agreed?
There's a joke involving: "fun, pants, and scooter riding"
The particulars escapes me......but I'm in until one us breaks a belt.
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 04:45:42 PM »
...."Good morning John. I'll need another 5 gal. of paint - oh, and I just phoned personnel. I quit."....
I still enjoy scooter riding at 5:30am. ...but I no longer have to deal with 3 idiots when I arrive at my destination.
Stig
(cathartic post #36)
Retirement riding is the best thing ever. I can ride whenever, for whatever reason, and NOT in stupid dress clothes (for school). And I had to deal with a LOT of (younger) idiots as well, so I feel for you. Great to be on this side of the work life!
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 03:05:37 PM »
I have been to 4 dif. Dealers befor I found one I trust.to me a trusting dealer is importent.They know how to help you .And when you go in and ask for a part they have it.you need someone that knows a scoot .

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 06:30:42 PM »
I'd choose 2. I like riding so a long ride is fine by me. For those times riding isn't an option, I would trailer it to the dealer.

Curious, did you ever get the 5 gallons of paint you requested and what was the look on dumb, dumber and dumbest faces when you broke the news?   

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()