Author Topic: Considering Purchasing a 2017 Like 200i  (Read 1715 times)

Speed Racer

• View Profile
Considering Purchasing a 2017 Like 200i
« on: December 05, 2017, 09:27:07 PM »
Hello,

I recently came across this site doing research on Kymco scooters. I've been interested in getting a scooter to run errands and for pleasure riding around the small city I live in (pop. 17,000). I originally had been researching Vespas, I have a dealer that's about 30 miles away, and love the nostalgic "Mod" look that they have. But the prices on Vespas are a bit more than I would want to spend (at this time, at least). I then found a Kymco dealer about 50 miles from me that has 2017 Like 200i leftover models that they are selling for more than 20 % off sticker price. From what I've read, it appears that the Like 200i is a well-made product that is simple to work on, has the "nostalgia" look I love, and is a good "bang for your buck", especially with the discount this dealer has. I have not looked at it in person yet, I first wanted to ask current owners a few questions:

Would this scooter be able to handle a person of my size (6'0" & 230 lbs.)? I'm not looking to run 55 mph + on major highways, especially not at my age! Just in town and on 35-45 mph roads.
Can you fit an open face helmet (which I already have for drag racing my Camaro) in the under seat storage area?
Is the back cargo box easily removable?

I'm also fortunate that I have a large garage / workshop and large tool collection for automotive work that I should be already set to do the majority of service work on it myself with a shop manual or video tutorial.

Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance, Chuck

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Considering Purchasing a 2017 Like 200i
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 01:17:04 AM »
Do it!

No, wait - better take your helmet to the dealer and test fit. There's not a lot of room under the seat for big helmets - which is why they fit a case on the rear. The case is easily removed and leaves a decent looking rack back there.

There are a couple of helmet D-ring hooks under the seat - if you can't get your helmet under the seat.

Helmet fit or no - I would not let that stop you from buying this scooter!

The LIKE200i is a terrific urban, 30 > 45 MPH scooter in my personal opinion. I've been riding mine for 4 yrs - and it is always a pleasure to hop on it and take off. I do NOT ride it above 50 MPH - because I don't think a scooter of this weight and wheelbase should be going any faster. That's just me....others ride it to the throttle stop.

Be aware that the 2018 LIKE will be a 150 with 2-wheel ABS - and though it has fewer cc's it will equal or better the 163cc engine which is in a 2017 LIKE200i. There is very little difference in the MSRP of the two.
ABS is a very big deal for some (me  included) - so be aware that the 2018 model is coming soon - so you don't have buyer's remorse after buying the 2017 LIKE200i.

But if you decide to go with the current LIKE200i - and have sat the scoot to your satisfaction - it will be a great ride for years to come.

There have been no recalls on the scooter. I know of 3 which had a failed throttle position sensor - at least one of which was replaced under the 2 yr warranty. Even these 3 never failed to start or run and get the owner home. A failed TPS is a very very rare issue = as most owners seem to find their LIKE's to be darn near unbreakable. And easy to service!

Of the KYMCO line of scooters - the LIKE200i seems to be the most bullet-proof. The electronic fuel injection is amazing. The darn thing just leaps to life in all temps and rain or shine.

The red one's go faster - or maybe they just look like they are. :)

Stig

A good review of the LIKE200i
http://www.justgottascoot.com/like200.htm

« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 01:20:14 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Speed Racer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 07:02:43 PM »
Thank you for your response, Stig. it was very helpful, and link to the review was probably the best one I've read so far in my online research of this model.

Not being able to fit the helmet under the seat is not a deal-breaker. I personally would rather store it there, as I think the scooter would look better without the cargo box on the back. Gives it a cleaner look without it, in my opinion. However, I would much prefer to leave the cargo box on and put the helmet in there, as opposed to leaving it unsecured and seeing a $200 helmet get stolen!

The 2018 model does sound like it will have some impressive improvements - especially the horsepower increase (which would help carry around a big guy like me) and the ABS, which is a great addition. At the advertised price, the 2017 model would cost me around $600 less than the new 2018 model. When I get a chance, I'm going to visit the dealer and check out the 2017 in person, see how it feels when I sit on it, and see what kind of "out the door" price I can get on it. Once I would get that, I could make a decision on if waiting for the 2018 to hit the showroom would be the right call. 

I've been really impressed with this forum, a lot of great technical information, and it seems, a lot of good people participating on it. Hats off to you for doing your part in making it what it is.

Thanks again for your insight  :)

jeffro1105

• Ride like the wind :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 12:00:44 PM »
Hey Speed Racer,

I have 2 Like 200i's, and I am in love with them, I have a 2017 and a 2012, and both are fantastic. I bought the 2017 model first and my girlfriend loved it and so I found a 2012 model on eBay and bought it too. So now we ride together. The Like is well made for a mostly plastic scooter, consistantly fires right up, quick accelleration and perfect for tooting around town running errands, we get approx 70 to 80 MPG with these scooters, Stig has made some cool mods to his that make it look retro cool so you have options for styling to make it unique. If you get this scooter I fully believe you will not be disapointed, its very important to be diligent with your oil changes and using NGK Iridium spark plugs. This forum is an amazing resource for info about your scooter and a great way to connect with other folks who ride. I hope you choose the Like 200i and ride like the wind my friend.
2017 Kymco Like 200i_Red  W/Black stripe
2012 Kymco Like 200i_Midnight Blue

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 05:31:51 PM »
Get the Like 200i you won't be sorry but do test fit it to your physique if possible. I am 5' 10" and have none of the ergonomic issues that some riders have noted about this model. ;)
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 10:05:38 PM »
 I would love to try the Like 150, but my 2013 Like 200i LX just won't break. I just recently installed a battery tender to it, due to lack of use because the rider is currently broken. I bought it as new leftover in March of 2014. It has 12k miles, with only 1 spark plug going bad and oil changes every 1000 miles. I have replaced the drive belt and rollers, as well as testing out aftermarket variator and clutch parts.  These items are inexpensive to replace. It is as reliable as any. Just not as comfortable. Use a seat pad or modify the seat.
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

BrissyPlumber

• Kymco Like 200i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 11:53:32 PM »
Hello to everyone from Australia, attached is a pic of my 2017 Kymco Like 200i now with 5000klms on the clock, I do my own basic service work as I refuse to pay the local dealers prices for maintenance. I would highly recommend this scoot, it's quick off the line and keeps up with modern traffic very easily with cracking fuel economy   

Jersey Sue and Vic

• Jersey Sue
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 05:53:26 PM »
Welcome Speed Racer. I upgraded from a Like 50 to the 200i last year (2017 model) and love it!! You won't regret this purchase. Many of us bought this bike due to the Vespa being too pricey and have come to "love the Like" as a strong second choice to the Vespa. My husband Vic managed to modify the glove box door on his own 200i to include a button for the garage door opener. So handy! Also, check out Cheeky Seats online for some cool seat covers to personalize your Like.  If you can dream it, they can sew it! I have a red one for spring and fall, and a white one for summer.  Here's the link: https://scooterseatcovers.net.  I would recommend keeping the top box.  It fits a full face helmet and comes in handy on trips to the store.  Moreover, it makes the bike look bigger and gives you more of a presence on the road when it comes to visibility, especially at intersections. Can't wait for spring to come. Temps are still in the teens here.

--Jersey Sue
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 10:51:38 PM by Jersey Sue and Vic »
2017 Like 200i (white)
2015 Like 200i (midnight blue)
2014 Like 50 LX (blue & white)
2013 Like 50 (ivory)
Hackensack, NJ

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 02:17:35 AM »
  I would recommend keeping the top box.  It fits a full face helmet and comes in handy on trips to the store.  Moreover, it makes the bike look bigger and gives you more of a presence on the road when it comes to visibility, especially at intersections. Can't wait for spring to come. Temps are still in the teens here.

--Jersey Sue

Good statement.  :)

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 05:24:26 PM »
I considered removing the top case early on until I started USING IT and realized it is an essential piece of kit. It is amazing the amount of cargo that you can load on these things.
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 05:42:40 PM »
I purchased my LIKE200i for work commuting - 50% of which is in the dark, through the city.
Fairly soon I replaced the box with a lighted 929 Bestem case.
I wanted the LED wraparound DRL lights and extra brake lights of the Bestem.
This lighted case is esthetically too big, but gives me greatly enhanced presence on the dark, rainy streets!
I never use the case to carry much - tools, inflator & patch kit, etc. are carried under the seat to keep weight center low.
The LIKE does look pretty zippy without a case....and its already huge tail light was a selling point for me.

Stig
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 05:45:06 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Speed Racer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 07:46:52 PM »
Well, I went ahead and did it. After going to the dealer the weekend before Christmas and checking out the Like in person, I was sold on it. Surprisingly, I found it comfortable for a guy my size.
I called and put a deposit on it after Christmas and picked it up last Saturday. I didn't even mind loading it on my utility trailer on a windy and cold (18 degrees) day as I was so enthusiastic about getting it.

Unfortunately, my enthusiasm was short-lived once I got it home in my garage and noticed some imperfections on the bike (cracked plastic trim piece on the cargo rack, missing rubber bolt caps on the floorboard, & missing battery cover screws). I called the dealer, they were cool about it and agreed to order the parts to fix it, but I have to take it back to them this Saturday so they can install them next week. Nonetheless, I'm still think for $2,400.00 out the door it's a fine little scooter.

I guess my first ride will have to wait a little longer....

Thanks to all of you for your input, it was very helpful!

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 10:30:54 PM »
 That white color looks good.
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2018, 12:08:32 AM »
Good job!
Scooter must have listed for @$1600 or $1700 to get on the street for $2400. I think mine was OTD @$3200 in 2013 in Ohio.
Read today that Kymco will be discontinuing the LIKE200I now that we're getting the LIKE150i.
The screws went missing when they touched the battery...rubber plugs - who knows, nothing under the floor needs touching.
Is it one of the 2 silver fish shaped trim bits, cracked?
I do not stress those much when popping up on center stand.
All in all - a great scooter for a good price!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Speed Racer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2018, 02:21:57 PM »
Good job!
Scooter must have listed for @$1600 or $1700 to get on the street for $2400. I think mine was OTD @$3200 in 2013 in Ohio.
Read today that Kymco will be discontinuing the LIKE200I now that we're getting the LIKE150i.
The screws went missing when they touched the battery...rubber plugs - who knows, nothing under the floor needs touching.
Is it one of the 2 silver fish shaped trim bits, cracked?
I do not stress those much when popping up on center stand.
All in all - a great scooter for a good price!
Stig

Yes, it is the left side "silver fish" trim piece, it has a very slight hairline crack in it, might just be a defective piece from the factory, or the three screws that hold it on weren't drawn down evenly when it was attached as the metal bracket it attaches to has a slight radius.

The missing rubber caps and screws I personally think was just sloppy workmanship when the scooter was assembled at the dealer. Probably got misplaced and nobody took notice to it. The one screw holding the cover toward the front of the scooter was chrome, I would have thought they would have been black to match the plastic floorboard, correct? These issues have not inspired me to have any confidence in their service department. Ironically, they preached to me when I was doing the purchase paperwork about not doing any service work on it myself, especially the valve adjustment, as this requires "trained professionals". Really? The same "trained professionals" that couldn't completely assemble a scooter correctly. I'll try to withhold judgement till I get it back after the second go-around.

I did misquote the out the door price - the $2,400 was without registration and plates, I paid the extra $200 for a grand total of $2,605 for them to do this and save me a trip to DMV, which here in VA is typically a long and painful process....

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()