Author Topic: Safe Harbour  (Read 855 times)

Snorvey

• View Profile
Safe Harbour
« on: December 02, 2017, 11:41:51 AM »
The wind has been from the north (i.e. blimmin' freezing) for the last few days, meaning scooter time is essential journeys only.

For the next few days though, it's swung round to the west which is far more warmer (relatively speaking!), so it's nice to get out for a longer ride (again, relatively speaking!) to another of our local harbours.

These little harbours dotted along the coast used to be teeming with little fishing boats - sadly, they're almost all gone now.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Safe Harbour
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 03:38:19 PM »
Nice pictures. Thanks for posting.
Have not lived near the ocean in a long time...lucky you!
So, fish are gone; no $ in fishing; people stopped eating fish ?
What happened to the industry?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 04:17:03 PM »
So, fish are gone; no $ in fishing; people stopped eating fish ?
What happened to the industry?
Stig

Bigger boats in the shape of factory ships that can stay at sea for much, much longer and have huge blast freezers on board (rather than just boxes of ice that the wee boats have)

Also, there was a period of over fishing meaning restricted quotas for certain species which I guess hurt the small boats more than the big ships that basically hoover up everything in the ocean. Sometimes, you have to give the fishies a chance.

Finally, the European Union. Essentially, it meant the UK's waters were opened up to anyone in the EU to fish (even Spanish trawlers thought it worthwhile to travel north and fish off Scotland)

There are still some smaller boats making a living, but they sail out of the bigger ports where the markets are now. The small harbours are just for pleasure craft now.

The world has changed I guess. All the kids want to be youtubers or vloggers instead of fishermen <sigh>

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 07:44:05 PM »
Very nice.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 08:00:48 PM »
A couple of kayakers getting ready for a paddle....

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 12:40:19 AM »
Nice pictures Snorvey! How cold is it there?
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 08:29:13 AM »
Morning Mr Paul

Yesterday, and for the coming week, it's forecast to be around 10C (48F) - which is perfectly fine behind the big screen.

Last week it was about 3C (37F) - Tolerable, but not for long (although heated gloves are on the way!)

January and February tend to be the coldest months here.

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 02:00:43 PM »
Morning Mr Paul

Yesterday, and for the coming week, it's forecast to be around 10C (48F) - which is perfectly fine behind the big screen.

Last week it was about 3C (37F) - Tolerable, but not for long (although heated gloves are on the way!)

January and February tend to be the coldest months here.

Thanks Snorvey. It gets colder here in Georgia, but I am certain its not as damp. You will love the heated gloves and how warmer the rest of you feels when you wear them. Since I ride year-round I have heated grips and I would not ride without them!
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 02:24:07 PM »

Thanks Snorvey. It gets colder here in Georgia, but I am certain its not as damp. You will love the heated gloves and how warmer the rest of you feels when you wear them. Since I ride year-round I have heated grips and I would not ride without them!

A good bit warmer and definitely not as damp I'd say.

Someday, I'd like to live in a warmer (but not too warm - or humid!) part of the world. Somewhere where you can sit out at night or go for long rides on the bike.  English speaking would be ideal, indeed it's almost essential these days since most of Europe is in a sulk with us :-).

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 01:50:21 AM »
Right there with ya.
That's the PNW in the summer usually, but definitely not in the winter (three years of especially chilly & wet winters in a row...)

I've pondered that one myself and looked around & come to the conclusion that the snowbirds are right, gotta have a couple different places...now if I could just afford that..

A good bit warmer and definitely not as damp I'd say.

Someday, I'd like to live in a warmer (but not too warm - or humid!) part of the world. Somewhere where you can sit out at night or go for long rides on the bike.  English speaking would be ideal, indeed it's almost essential these days since most of Europe is in a sulk with us :-).
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 02:57:04 AM »
Looks like an excellent place for scooter riding. Beautiful place you live in.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()