Author Topic: How does a 250cc cruiser compare to a 250cc scooter?  (Read 1944 times)

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
Re: How does a 250cc cruiser compare to a 250cc scooter?
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2017, 05:16:32 PM »
Thanks for all the help!

I guess I can definitely cross performance off my list of concerns.

No question that scooters are just inherently geared towards carrying things. I seem to recall someone saying they're like two wheeled pickup trucks, which is apt. I'm sure I could fit quite a lot of beer in the top box, under the seat, and by my legs on a People 250.

On the motorcycle I'm considering in particular, it sounds especially sounds like it takes some effort to get it ready for all the bags. For me, at this point, that just sounds more fun than discouraging though.

Also agreed that for cities / stop and go traffic, scooters are an obvious choice. But less of a concern for me, living in the middle of nowhere -- I'm more concerned with the 40-100 mile trip to get to the city than how it is driving around it.

Also, that motorcycle ergonomics website is amazing, although I'm not totally sure how to interpret the information.
http://cycle-ergo.com/
According to it, it seems like the small cruisers and the People 250 have you in very similar positions though?

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2017, 11:23:46 PM »
Thanks for all the help!

I guess I can definitely cross performance off my list of concerns.

No question that scooters are just inherently geared towards carrying things. I seem to recall someone saying they're like two wheeled pickup trucks, which is apt. I'm sure I could fit quite a lot of beer in the top box, under the seat, and by my legs on a People 250.

On the motorcycle I'm considering in particular, it sounds especially sounds like it takes some effort to get it ready for all the bags. For me, at this point, that just sounds more fun than discouraging though.

Also agreed that for cities / stop and go traffic, scooters are an obvious choice. But less of a concern for me, living in the middle of nowhere -- I'm more concerned with the 40-100 mile trip to get to the city than how it is driving around it.

Also, that motorcycle ergonomics website is amazing, although I'm not totally sure how to interpret the information.
http://cycle-ergo.com/
According to it, it seems like the small cruisers and the People 250 have you in very similar positions though?

At some point I will probably get a Honda Pacific Coast. They are older but worth a look.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2017, 11:49:42 PM »
Hey Hypophthalmus, check this out. It's a 300i Downtown set up with plenty of storage. outstanding weather protect, with the larger Givi windscreen and it's good for both around town and on the super slab. Will cruise at 65 t0 70 all day long and with the added motorcycle style forward foot pegs you can stretch out cruiser style. and if 85mph WOT is not enough for you, you can not get a 400icc.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2017, 07:45:17 AM »
The Downtown looks really nice.

There's some reasons I want to make the XV250 work though:
I've always thought it was pretty. It sounds really nice too.
I feel like I should jump on the opportunity for something different.
It gets 78 miles to the gallon, often more.
It has an air cooled engine, which means no catastrophic coolant failures.
If the engine does fail, replacing it or rebuilding it would be relatively inexpensive and easy.

I've considered more powerful bikes too. But I keep thinking that I'd be happy with smaller and lighter. And the XV250 only weighs about 300 pounds.

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2017, 02:33:22 AM »
You gotta get what works for you. I'm sure you'll make the right choice.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2017, 03:35:11 AM »
http://genuinescooters.com/g400c.html
Is one of the bikes I keep watching for.  They decided to go 50 state on release & were last heard waiting on CA (of course) so it's been delayed a couple years.
Essentially this http://www.mash-motors.fr/en/400cc-motorcycles/4982-mash-five-hundred-400cc.html
Not dead sure on Fuel economy in the real world.  The 86 mpg sounds kinda optimistic, but the extra HP would be enough to make it more usable on highways without making it a beast in town.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 03:47:33 AM by Tromper »
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2017, 10:02:23 PM »
I recently came across the Yamaha SR400 and thought it looked impressive. The G400C evidently is lighter, more powerful, cheaper, and looks a bit better. And much better mileage if that is actually accurate.

I'm looking to buy used though -- I'd save $3000 and I won't have to feel so bad about taking it on forest service roads. Also, there's all the cheap parts floating around.

If I were buying new though, that'd be really compelling.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 10:05:58 PM by hypophthalmus »

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2017, 02:20:54 AM »
Well ya could get a used SR400...the older ones actually had electric starters, & I think better brakes.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

revsin

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2017, 01:30:23 AM »
What is your budget? Do you have riding experience? How tall or short are ya?

I'm a bit of a modest giant at 6'5" so motorcycles are a must for me and even then I'm limited on what I can ride comfortably. Second hand motorcycles can be had pretty cheap if you're patient and know what to look for. Got my Vstrom for $1,300 and my Versys 1000 for $3,000. Both were good buys and I could have certainly paid a lot more for either example if I got in a rush. But my method is just be patient and wait for the right bike at the right price.

My opinion is consider getting something with easy to source parts. Also, keep the valve clearance checks in mind. I've had some Hondas that required it every 5,000 miles and I ended up adjusting valves 6x's a year. That gets old! My current line up of steeds require checking every 20-25k miles. Some bikes eat tires up quickly, had some only last 3k miles, others last me 15k+. So take your time, do your homework and buy with your head and your heart will not ache.

fatcatscooter

• FatCatScooter
    • View Profile
    • FatCatScooter
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2017, 04:37:47 PM »
Scooters are a whole different world!  Stand out from the crowd and go scooter!  ;D
President of the Phoenix AZ Scooter Club
Video Blogger @Fatcatscooter.com

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2017, 04:46:41 PM »
Scooters are a whole different world!  Stand out from the crowd and go scooter!  ;D
Yeah, baby!!
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()