Author Topic: How does a 250cc cruiser compare to a 250cc scooter?  (Read 1945 times)

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
How does a 250cc cruiser compare to a 250cc scooter?
« on: December 01, 2017, 06:28:52 PM »
Can anyone provide some insight in how a 250cc cruiser compares to a 250cc scooter? Especially in terms of acceleration and long distance comfort?

I'm seriously considering getting a Yamaha XV250, but I don't want to be surprised to find it less responsive and less comfortable on long trips than my People 250 was.

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
Re: How does a 250cc cruiser compare to a 250cc scooter?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 08:30:10 PM »
Can't say as I've ridden one for any distance, though I've contemplated the same (Those, & the TU250, Royal Enfield & , if it ever launches, the G400C).
My thought would be go find one to test ride.

Off the top of my head, you'd lose storage and weather protection in exchange for a more efficient drive train.  The former would have more impact on a longer ride.
Other factors like vibration, suspension, ergonomics are going to vary a bit and will have notable subjective & personal impact on the ride.

2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 09:47:58 PM »
I have been looking at a few motorcycles lately (mainly around the 300cc) but I will stick with a scooter as I need the storage for my gear.

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 11:37:18 PM »
I don't think I'll be able to test ride one, especially in any meaningful way. So other people's subjective experiences are helpful.

The lack of storage has been the main reason I've never gone that route before. It's always going to be at a disadvantage there, but with saddlebags, tailbags, tankbags, or whatever else I can bolt/strap onto it, I think it'll be adequate.

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 12:33:38 AM »
I have been looking at a few motorcycles lately (mainly around the 300cc) but I will stick with a scooter as I need the storage for my gear.
Ditto...well, that and my knee hates shifting.  ::)
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

Bothinut

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 03:03:46 AM »
I also want to know the insights as well. If it's someone telling me it can help me decide to buy it.

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 03:11:44 AM »
A 250cc motorcycle and a 250cc scooter are very different , in ride character, weather protection, sound, and yes acceleration.  For one who's ridden a motorcycle and has the shift, clutch rhythm down pat, the motorcycle will beat the scooter off the line every time. (same cc's). Ride characteristic is mostly dictated by wheel size which changes the CG. Cargo space has already been mentioned. As for myself, I love riding both, but I would say that my scooter gets the nod when the north winds are howling, and the wind chill is below 40. Both are great fun and those who have never ridden either are cheating themselves.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

revsin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 04:10:16 AM »
250cc Motorcycle
Pros:
A 250cc motorcycle will be faster off the line. Gives you some options for gearing with different sized sprockets to cater around what kind of riding you will end up doing. Lower your RPM at cruising speed or wind up faster for urban riding. Your wheelbase and rake will be different so it's a bit harder to navigate tighter areas, but will be more stable when going flat out. Big wheels let ya tackle rougher roads with a more planted stance. 250-300cc naked/sport bikes will let ya grab the tank with your knees and lean it over with a lot more confidence. If you ultimately want to graduate to riding big bikes, a 250-300cc motorcycle will offer the most analogous experience you'll need to jump up to 650s safely. You're up higher and you're easier to see (but remember you're still invisible), but you can also see over cars easier and what's around you. Changing rear tires is way easier! More engaging to ride, ya feel in control of everything and some people dig that.

Cons:
You'll often lose cargo carrying convenience. Lets say you're often going to get stuck in snail's pace stop'n'go traffic, your clutch hand will start to get tired. Your passenger will be less comfortable as there's not a lot of seat on the pillion of most motorcycles and can't think of any 250-300cc bikes with a decent seat with passengers in mind. Depending on where you live you may not have a lot of options. Here in the USA we're enjoying a bit of a resurgence of small displacement bikes, new/old Honda Rebel, CBR, CRF, Versys 300 (my pick), TU250 and a handful of others. But finding something you like AND that you fit comfortably in your price range is tricky. They hold their value as they're temporary stepping stones for people to learn on. When ya find a used  one don't be surprised if you're the 18th owner and who knows how well it was taken care of with that many generations of noobs and their mistakes piling up. Chain maintenance is mandatory and it gets old. I ride my wife's 150cc around and even tho it's a slug compared to my Versys 1000 and V-Strom 650, not having to mess with gears and the clutch I'm actually faster in congested areas like parking lots and our neighborhood on her scooter.

Get ya a garage and fill it with all sorts of bikes, it's gonna happen eventually!

Ernestt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 04:42:13 AM »
i drove a kawasaki 125 cruiser at the motorcycle class and i could barely shift because of crampness of the ergonomics most small cruisers i tried were the same that's why i like my scoot easy riding position and no shifting i invite you to punch that bike into cycle ergo before anything good luck
2009 kymco people 250s

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 10:39:36 PM »
not an exact answer to your question..but I have both a People S200 (163cc) and a Kawasaki Ninja 300..and the riding experiences couldn't be more different!

The scooter is softer, slower, more comfortable, has relatively poor brakes but is 'easier' to ride...twist N go!

The motorcycle is...thrilling...power (all relative, here), handling, brakes, the sound with a slip on muffler, the joy of running through the gears..all much more enjoyable for me..

I used to prefer the scoot to make my runs to the store for beer...6 pack under the seat, no problem....but then I bought a tail bag for my motorcycle that fits a 12 pack and now I find myself riding the motorcycle for just about everything.

In a perfect world you get both...heck, in a perfect world I'd have a 9 stall garage filled with about 10 or 15 different 2 wheeled vehicles!
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2017, 10:55:02 PM »
If you're plan is for longer trips (as oppose to recreational riding) I would ask what can you do more off the dealer room floor? In other worlds could you back up your bike (scooter or MC) and head off for a day trip and ride with more comfort, or would you need to buy additional items like a top case, tank bag, or pannier's.

Which offers better comfort on longer rides and start and stop riding in traffic and traffic jams?

Which offers better weather protection, or storage to hold weather gear and or tools?

Which has amenities -- cell phone charger, glovebox, hazard lights, etc. ... ?

If I'm not mistaken a 250cc scooter (new) is something of a rare bird unless you're thinking of something new, or a Chinese brand.

- Wolf

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2017, 11:17:20 PM »

I used to prefer the scoot to make my runs to the store for beer...6 pack under the seat, no problem....but then I bought a tail bag for my motorcycle that fits a 12 pack and now I find myself riding the motorcycle for just about everything.

Sounds like someone has their priorities right.   ;D
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 11:30:58 PM by PaulF »

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2017, 11:29:34 PM »
Another option for me would be either a Honda CB500X or a Kawasaki Versys 300 because at least with these you can get hard panniers fitted easily and that would solve the storage problem. 

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2017, 12:13:50 AM »
I have a Honda Helix. There is NO 250 cc bike that will beat it in long distance comfort, weather protection, and practicality. I can tour the mountains on it, ride it to work every day, and go grocery shopping with it.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

revsin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2017, 03:07:01 AM »
Sounds like someone has their priorities right.   ;D

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mHxeqvZXjKMw2kXy1  my top box is for CostCo beer runs.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()