Author Topic: Broken threads on the transmission fluid drain bolt housing  (Read 1921 times)

zevsdad

• View Profile
Broken threads on the transmission fluid drain bolt housing
« on: November 30, 2017, 01:18:25 PM »
Hello!
I have a serious issue with my People Gti300---when I changed out the trans fluid, I wen to  put the bolt back in-and the thing just keeps turning and turning. i aslo noticed that some thin circular metal shards came out of the housing when I removed the bolt. so....it looks like the threads in the housing are destroyed. The bolt is in perfect shape--so its not the bolt itself- its the housing.

I purchased a little kit that is supposed to fix threading--but I havent been able to get it to work yet.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Broken threads on the transmission fluid drain bolt housing
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 01:40:45 PM »
What is the kit? What problems are you having? Buncha guys on here have used Heli-coil thread repair kits very successfully and are just waiting to help!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

zevsdad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 02:39:05 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zevsdad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 02:39:39 PM »

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 10:07:21 PM »
Where is the drill bit? M8-1.25 coil and tap look OK but ya have to drill the hole with usually an odd size drill also usually supplied with the other two. I have always had trouble with reaming a hole with a twist drill bit since it wants to "hog into the hole" and stall the drill motor! I got to reducing rake angle with a Dremel for aluminum and plastic. I see a problem with even getting a drill motor under that gear box!

Karl
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 02:09:03 AM »
You can either use a Heli coil or just tap the hole one size larger. Can even go to a ASE thread. In aluminum , I'd use a National fine. You can just use a short bolt with a compression washer and DON'T OVER TIGHTEN.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

zevsdad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 02:22:21 AM »

Above is a pic of the 'Tap' tool- I'm not sure what is menat by 'Tap' ?Am I supposed to drill this thing into the hole using a drill? or twist it slowly by hand? I tried the slowly by hand method and it does not go in-I'm just able to grind out some metal shards as seen in the pic. There is no other drill bit that came with the kit. It just says in step 1 to drill using bit specified by kit--which I dont really see anywhere. (update - I just looked at it and see that it is 8.3 MM 21/64) I took pics of the kit instructions so hopefully you guys can see it and maybe explain to me what I need to do to get this fixed. - cant ride without trans fluid!

You're right about getting a drill under there- I would need to jack up the bike someonehow- or get it on a tire thin ramp of some sort.....

« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 02:35:09 AM by zevsdad »

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 03:17:03 AM »
A tap tool is used to "Tap" or thread a hole. You never use a tap in a drill. You use a "Tap wrench" A tee handle tool with an adjustable chuck that fits the square top of the tap and and you turn the chuck to tighten down on the tap. You turn it slowly while applying pressure. The tool pictured does the same thing, but it is also made to screw in the Heli-coil that came in the kit. If it is necessary to open the hole enough for the tap to start, then the drill size should be on the package or in the instruction sheet.. With all that said,  I usual just get a tapered tap that will just fit into the hole, preferably a tap with NF or National Fine threads either Metric or America (ASE) and get a new bolt that fits those threads and a crush washer and Snug it up. I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say. I have a nack for confusing everyone when I try to explain something mechanical.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300

Trucker jay

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 09:34:25 AM »
Some time you can get it to work with a longer bolt. Maybe it can catch new threads without hitting anything.  If does work use the blue thread locker and synthetic gear oil and suck the old oil out of the filler hole from now on.

zevsdad

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 02:43:06 PM »
what is a crush washer?
what is a dremel?

apologizing in advance for my lack of mechanical knowledge!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 02:44:38 PM by zevsdad »

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 03:18:55 PM »
You have everything you need for this EXCEPT the proper size bit to enlarge the hole. Stick with metric then you will not have to chase a different wrench when you change gear oil. Use a 6.7 mm twist drill first. Then turn the tap by hand to make oversized threads for the coil. Then put the coil in with  small dab of loctite red to hold the repair coil in. You may use loctite blue on the bolt if you wish. Or you can forego the loctite altogether since you won't have to worry about stripping the threads in the case ever again. I would consider flushing the gearbox before you refill with gear oil. Please post step-by-step so we can keep all this straight.

A crush washer is like a gasket to prevent leaks. Your machine had a soft aluminum washer on the drain bolt. A Dremel is a high speed (30000 rpm) hand-held grinder.

Karl
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2017, 03:28:55 PM »
You are fixing your lack of mechanical knowledge by asking questions of all us old guys! We just have to get over trying to tell you all the options available at once. Get the 6.7 mm drill bit and figure out how to position the cycle to get lined up with the hole. Then yell for the next step before you drill out the hole.

Wish I could post pictures like you, Stig and many others!

Karl
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2017, 07:55:42 PM »
And ....please do not use that 20" long ratchet - the one you are holding in your avatar photo - on thay little drain bolt!

👀 Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2017, 08:20:22 PM »
Karl had a good idea. Just do one step and then get instructions for the next step. May take a little longer, but you'll get her done right and will have learned something in the process. Good luck and keep us posted as to your progress.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300

zevsdad

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2017, 03:29:16 PM »
OK! First off let me just thank you guys for the expert help - I really rely on all of you on this forum. So here is the update--i actually got my wife to help on this one believe it or not!

1) I purchased the drill bit recommended on the fix-a-thred pacakge  (8.3 MM 21/64)

2) I used a mini  hydraulic car lift witha 2x4 board over it to jack up the scooter-had my wife hold on to the handle bars to make sure it didn't tip over

3) got under the case and drilled into the hole with the 21/64 drill bit

4) Used the tap to hand screw into the hole- putting upward  pressure as I turned it

5) placed the coil on the tool and twisted the ciol into the hole, then removed the tool by pulling straight out

6) screwed in the original bolt and it fully tightened---seemed like th eproblem was solved

7) road around the block a few times joyously

8) inspected the bolt and found that the tran fluid is dripping out- OH NO!

so there is a very small bead of purple trans fluid ( i bought the expensive stuff) - it certainly isn't dripping or anything- but there is a leak

any suggestions for fixing--perhaps some locktite or maybe a washer---I did not put any washer on by the way

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()