Author Topic: Rear brakes on 450i  (Read 970 times)

Coach

• View Profile
Rear brakes on 450i
« on: November 27, 2017, 02:56:03 AM »
Anyone else experiencing noisy moaning squeal from the rear shat mounted brake disc?
Mine moans and groans to the point it’s embarreresing and the dealer tells me the new ones do it and they have never been able to fix it. It’s been like this since new, 600 miles and 2 years . There must be a remedy to this agitating noise. Stops great and I love this thing but the rear brake noise is very annoying. Anybody got any ideas.
Retired outdoor bum!
I like it too!

kickstart

• View Profile
Re: Rear brakes on 450i
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 03:23:27 AM »
While I was removing my skid plates and ton of mud I decided to take a hard look at those noisy SOB's.
I found the piston works like a screw when the emergency brake is applied. I used a file to break the corners on both pads and reassembled. I have not used the emergency brake since then and have no noise from the brakes. I'm not sure if it's a combination of both or just one but so far so good.

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 03:58:26 PM »
   I have the same issue and so does everyone else even those with other brands. It seems to come from dirt and grime in the pads. When it gets real annoying I flush the rear brakes with a water hose and spray all the grit out then they are quiet for a short time but it does seem like the dirtier they get the louder they squeal. I do use mine frequently as I leave my machine in gear normally with the parking brake on so it doesn't take off when I start it and it is on high idle... makes it easier than fighting the shift lever..Yes it can become embarrassing but most machines with that type of rear brake experience the same issue from what I have read..

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 12:52:16 AM »
I leave my machine in gear normally with the parking brake on so it doesn't take off when I start it and it is on high idle... makes it easier than fighting the shift lever..Yes it can become embarrassing but most machines with that type of rear brake experience the same issue from what I have read..

I have never had shifting issues from neutral, only from park and the forward gears, and to a lesser extent from reverse
RandyO
IBA#9560

Coach

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 05:57:07 PM »
   I have the same issue and so does everyone else even those with other brands. It seems to come from dirt and grime in the pads. When it gets real annoying I flush the rear brakes with a water hose and spray all the grit out then they are quiet for a short time but it does seem like the dirtier they get the louder they squeal. I do use mine frequently as I leave my machine in gear normally with the parking brake on so it doesn't take off when I start it and it is on high idle... makes it easier than fighting the shift lever..Yes it can become embarrassing but most machines with that type of rear brake experience the same issue from what I have read..
[/quote

On the sporting clays range it’s embarrising and in the deer woods——— might as well just start yelling to warn them that I’m headed to the stand.
I think there’s a terrible need for a re-design.

Retired outdoor bum!
I like it too!

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 12:47:41 AM »

[/quote

On the sporting clays range it’s embarrising and in the deer woods——— might as well just start yelling to warn them that I’m headed to the stand.
I think there’s a terrible need for a re-design.
[/quote]

Nobody will argue with that!  Those changes cost money so you know where that will get us. I have also read that certain types of pad material make far less noise but wear out much faster. Carefull inspection makes it appear to be a vibration issue with the crud causing the disc to chatter when brakes are applied. With the rear disc have little support the chatter is amplified. I have often thought od grooving the pads to see if that helps...that is a trick used on many performance and show, disc brake equipped vehicles.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()