Author Topic: UXV 450I Skid Plate Help  (Read 1849 times)

SolKym

• View Profile
UXV 450I Skid Plate Help
« on: November 16, 2017, 03:31:03 AM »
Thanks for reading...

It hurts to look at it, knowing it deserves better.  I'm hell on it.  I've used it as a trash truck, tow truck, dump truck, log skitter, stump puller, fire truck...it's done way more than I ever hoped and definitely, without a doubt, more than it's advertised to do.  Heck, my wife and I even "christened" it on a ride through the back side of the property and goodness oh my the room in that cab.

The one thing it won't take though is rock hopping across the massive sand stones and brush that litter the backside of my 10 acres.  The plastic underbelly has been beat to crap and I want something better, but don't want to go the route of a DIY lift kit.

Hence my coming here and asking for help finding skid plates.  I have a good grip on the body armor guy mentioned in numerous places on these forums.  He definitely seems makes quality stuff and will inevitably get some of my money, but he makes nothing for the nether regions of my beloved 450.  I've already replace two CV boots because of tree branches and don't want to do it again.

So please, if anyone has a line on some skid plates, throw me a bone.  I've been searching high and low but I cannot find anything that fits the 450i, regardless of the cult following.

Thanks for your time.

Best Regards,

JH in Solsberry IN (Not Salisbury DAMMIT)

souzamoto

• View Profile
Re: UXV 450I Skid Plate Help
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 04:28:32 AM »
Kymco sells a full Aluminium Skid Plate Kit. Looks to be about $620.00 retail
Gotta go to a dealer for it
CJS

SolKym

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 02:44:47 PM »
That wasn't there yesterday, I swear.  Okay, it probably was but how in the world did I not see it?

Thanks for showing me what was right in front of my face the whole time.

Have a good one.

JH

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 12:22:11 AM »
   OK where are you guys seeing these skid plates??   Something to keep in mind when beefing up the skid plates,...aluminum will bend and stay bent, if you straighten it it will probably crack, same with steel but due to weight I don't think anyone makes steel skid plates. The plastic plates are cheap to replace and they slide over most obstacles. What you might want to consider is beefing up the area under the skid plate so it slides over rather then push up on the plastic skids. In other postings I mentioned adding angle iron to create my plow mount, these angles also give extra support to the skid plate so that it doesn't push up from the bottom, it stays flat and supports the weight of the machine so it glides across obstacles.   Just a suggestion here, but I know of many that couldn't wait to replace there plastic skids with heavy duty metal one only to find, when you beef up one area then another weaker area tends to break which could be even more expensive to fix...Be carefull what you wish for !!

kickstart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 06:03:00 AM »
Thanks for reading...

It hurts to look at it, knowing it deserves better.  I'm hell on it.  I've used it as a trash truck, tow truck, dump truck, log skitter, stump puller, fire truck...it's done way more than I ever hoped and definitely, without a doubt, more than it's advertised to do.  Heck, my wife and I even "christened" it on a ride through the back side of the property and goodness oh my the room in that cab.

The one thing it won't take though is rock hopping across the massive sand stones and brush that litter the backside of my 10 acres.  The plastic underbelly has been beat to crap and I want something better, but don't want to go the route of a DIY lift kit.

Hence my coming here and asking for help finding skid plates.  I have a good grip on the body armor guy mentioned in numerous places on these forums.  He definitely seems makes quality stuff and will inevitably get some of my money, but he makes nothing for the nether regions of my beloved 450.  I've already replace two CV boots because of tree branches and don't want to do it again.

So please, if anyone has a line on some skid plates, throw me a bone.  I've been searching high and low but I cannot find anything that fits the 450i, regardless of the cult following.

Thanks for your time.

Best Regards,

JH in Solsberry IN (Not Salisbury DAMMIT)

Have you moved your shocks to gain 2-3 inches?

kickstart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 06:04:15 AM »
   OK where are you guys seeing these skid plates??   Something to keep in mind when beefing up the skid plates,...aluminum will bend and stay bent, if you straighten it it will probably crack, same with steel but due to weight I don't think anyone makes steel skid plates. The plastic plates are cheap to replace and they slide over most obstacles. What you might want to consider is beefing up the area under the skid plate so it slides over rather then push up on the plastic skids. In other postings I mentioned adding angle iron to create my plow mount, these angles also give extra support to the skid plate so that it doesn't push up from the bottom, it stays flat and supports the weight of the machine so it glides across obstacles.   Just a suggestion here, but I know of many that couldn't wait to replace there plastic skids with heavy duty metal one only to find, when you beef up one area then another weaker area tends to break which could be even more expensive to fix...Be carefull what you wish for !!
Did you ever post any pictures of your angle iron install?

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 02:51:12 PM »
   I tried to post pics but they came out to dark to see anything.  Even tried lighting up the area with a lead light but being all black underneath you could not make anything out. Yep of course I painted the angles all black to match the frame....never thought about it not showing up in pics

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 03:55:00 PM »
My skid pans are all beat to sh!t as well.  been thinking of buying a new unblemished set, and a sheet of ¼ thick aluminum.

Use the skid pans as a template to cut the aluminum, then installing both, have the strength of aluminum, and the slipperiness of plastic. Would have to source some longer screws, maybe.   
RandyO
IBA#9560

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2017, 03:36:53 AM »
   Now that might be a good idea there combining both the plastic and an aluminum backer....the plastic replacements are quite cheap, I replaced the center skid plate and it cost less than 50 bucks. A far cry from 600 plus for aluminum ones.  Also a pair of the tree kickers go along ways in helping to protect the outer skid plates. On our last ride the tree kickers were given a hard workout and the only loss was a couple plastic end caps, but I would have hated to see the outer skid plates if the tree kickers were not on there.

kickstart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 03:36:36 AM »
My skid pans are all beat to sh!t as well.  been thinking of buying a new unblemished set, and a sheet of ¼ thick aluminum.

Use the skid pans as a template to cut the aluminum, then installing both, have the strength of aluminum, and the slipperiness of plastic. Would have to source some longer screws, maybe.

Screws, when I put my skid plates back on I used larger self tapping bolts with a finer thread because the stock bolts are too coarse for that thin material.

Skid plates, I think your idea of adding Al is good however the plastic will bend back but the Al will not and could do damage to the frame. just my .02

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 11:51:11 PM »
Kickstart... had the same thought, when aluminum does bend it will crack if you try to straighten it out.  Frankly just run a couple pieces of angle iron front to back across the cross members and bolt them to the cross members. Mine are about 12" apart and centered with the outer frame rail and they will definetly keep anything from coming up thru the skid plate!  They are enough support they keep the plastic skids from getting torn up as easy

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()