Author Topic: I'm new here and already having electrical problems..!  (Read 2344 times)

Donmanolo

• View Profile
I'm new here and already having electrical problems..!
« on: November 21, 2017, 10:31:33 PM »
Hello everyone,just to introduce myself this is  Manolo here from Italy. I just managed to score a 2005 People 200s, for free (!) , lucky me for being in the right place at the right time !

Seems like a great scooter but obviously for that price it's not without problems, the main one of which is the headlight that refuses to come on, I had been warned by the previous owner and I assumed that it could be the headlight control module, so I got a good used one off ebay but unfortunately that didn't help.

I spent the evening going through the wiring with a tester and I was able to find that the handlebar switch seems ok, the two small bulbs come on in the central position and the tail light also comes on in both central and full on position.

I've tested the headlight bulbs and they are both fine.

I've found that there is battery voltage coming out of the headlight control box when the ignition is on,  from the white and blue wires ( low and high beams, I think), I wasn't able to understand how the wiring works , but I assume this goes to the handlebar switch and from there to the headlights themselves.

The problem is that obviously at this point there is an interruption as I don't see any DC battery voltage at the headlight connector at all. ( should it be AC, for some reason?)

Also, despite this, there is actually a very small amount of dc voltage ( 0.14 v) at the headlight connector from the dashboard no matter what position the switch is on, I can only understand enough to know that there doesn't seem to be a breakage in the wires if this is the case.

I'd be really really grateful for any hints about what to look for next. I did download the manual that's available online but there isn't much about the headlight circuit, and I can't really understand much about the wiring diagram on my computer screen.

Is there any other fuse I should look for ? What about a shared ground connection somewhere in the front ?

Thanks for any help I can get, and Ciao from over here in Italy.

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
Re: I'm new here and already having electrical problems..!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 04:41:27 AM »
Heck somewhere in the circuit is a light control module which dims the lights when the bike's idling after a few seconds to conserve electricity.

A nifty feature that I never had a problem with, but others have.  The solution has usually been noted as bypassing it.

If nothing else that would let you know whether that is the problem or not.

I located one on the epfguzzi site.
No clue if this is the best place to get one, & I'd need to see the wiring to figure out the bypass myself, but their link is here
http://www.epfguzzi.com/kymcobiz/parts/scooter_electrical.html
A pic of it from their site is here

I would guess that it is directly connected to the harness (33130) seen here.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 04:47:52 AM by Tromper »
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

Donmanolo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 05:33:53 PM »
Heck somewhere in the circuit is a light control module which dims the lights when the bike's idling after a few seconds to conserve electricity.

A nifty feature that I never had a problem with, but others have.  The solution has usually been noted as bypassing it.

If nothing else that would let you know whether that is the problem or not.

I located one on the epfguzzi site.
No clue if this is the best place to get one, & I'd need to see the wiring to figure out the bypass myself, but their link is here
http://www.epfguzzi.com/kymcobiz/parts/scooter_electrical.html
A pic of it from their site is here

I would guess that it is directly connected to the harness (33130) seen here.

Thanks , yes that's right , I'm aware that there's a controller module and as I already mentioned, I already tried to swap it out with one I found on ebay.
The semi - breakthrough of the day is that there seems to be continuity everywhere which means that the switches should be ok.
I found a picture on a Danish forum explaining the layout of the pins on the controller , which seems to give current from the "lyskontakt" or light switch to the bulb, dimming the lights when there is low output from the stator.
Judging by this picture, I'm wondering what would stop me from simply unplugging the Stoopid module and just short-circuiting the top two pins to the bottom two, so that the scooter would work like every other motor vehicle in the world .....
Or am I asking  too much ?

The bike is parked at my parents and I won't see it until Saturday so please let me know if I'm heading for electrical disaster :D

Sent from my BV7000 PRO using Tapatalk

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 08:02:52 PM »
Someone on here, wkreps I think, shows how to bypass this troublesome module. No downside according to him. By the way, WELCOME! The answers are here!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Donmanolo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 09:03:50 PM »
Thanks for the welcome..!   

I'm fairly sure I'm just going to fix the problem by eliminating that silly control box thing. A quick cut and peel of the wire plus some shrink wrap and solder should take care of it.

I'll let you know how it went on saturday.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()