Author Topic: Strange noises for a newbie  (Read 925 times)

Azmark7

• View Profile
Strange noises for a newbie
« on: November 15, 2017, 12:16:38 AM »
Hi all
Yes, I'm a newbie here. Just purchased a 2014 like about 2 weeks ago and love driving it. My knowledge of scooters in general isn't the greatest so far, but i'm hearing a strange noise up front (only on the up/down, sounds like the shocks and/or plastic rubbing?). In the rear wheel is more concerning, as it only makes the noise upon driving it and when i hand push it into the garage do i hear a brief squeal noise in the rear wheel (can't pin point where), almost as if the road ride is causing a rub. Anyway, at this point suggestions on where to start looking, etc would be appreciated. Do the shocks just need grease?

Thanks in advance

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
Re: Strange noises for a newbie
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 01:04:11 AM »
Hey Azmark and welcome! How many miles have you put on the Like?
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 01:14:48 AM »
Does Rear squeal go away if you lightly apply the rear brake while pushing the scooter?
If slight squeal is noted back there - can try cleaning disc with a green kitchen scrubby > hold against the rear brake disc while turning the wheel on the center stand. Give it a few turns, clean both sides of disc, then see if squeal is leaving.

Unlikely that rear brake pad is shot - causing metal to metal rubbing. These brakes last a long time. But possible I guess.

Front plastic rubbing? Is front fender secured - ?

Yep, need info on mileage of this scooter - and any service history.
Welcome to the forum!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Azmark7

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 01:52:04 AM »
Hi both. There is about 5500 miles on it,  I've done less than 100. I know the gear oil and oil was changed before I bought it, and the previous owner changed the belt and clutch. No records from him on the brakes. Haven't tried your suggestion yet on the brakes while pushing will do that tonight. I was thinking too something on the back disc. Fender on front is secured. Almost sounds like a rub on it. Will do some more tests and report back. Thanks!

Azmark7

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 03:13:04 AM »
Ok just did road test. For the rear wheel, its definitely  the brake. Didnt see a difference holding the break. After the ride i got it on the center stand and free spun the wheel  hand on top on calipers, i felt a vibration and heard the noise only when the pads passed over a certain point on the disc. Strange though i onky hear it after a ride when the area is hot to touch. When bike is cold no noise. Pads appear good tnough.
 So ill try the suggestion tomorrow to clean the disc. Nothing new on the front but im almost positive its the shocks making the squeak and vibrating the plastic fender.

Appreciate any further maintenance suggestions. Thanks!

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 01:31:13 AM »
The front forks of my 2012 Like200i would squeak. I found compressing the forks many times helped before rides. Eventually the noise stopped. You could have your dealer inspect, drain and replace the fork oil. They may find seal(s) need to be replaced. Check to make sure the rear brake rotor has not come loose. While you are at it, look to see if the rotor is warped.

Dolemite

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 10:10:00 PM »
I squeak when going over bumps? Hard to find? Seems to start/stop with brakes applies? Mine has the same issue, for me it's the rubber bushings/springs on the center stand. I lube them with some lithium grease every once in a while. Not sure why the brakes seem to stop it when sitting still, I think they cancel out some engine vibration which quiets it when sitting still. With your scoot on the side stand barely push the center stand down and see if there's any noise.

Best of luck if it's something else.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()