Author Topic: Kat STORING HER BIKE?  (Read 1387 times)

Nireen

• View Profile
Kat STORING HER BIKE?
« on: November 13, 2017, 11:45:10 AM »
Hey friends, can you all tell me what you do to store your bike?  Kat is going to do this for this winter.  I have to move from my place here where I have a garage to a place with no garage!! I decided to take my bike to my friends place and store it in his barn.  What do I do to the bike? Everything you can think of to help it? :) THANKS!
Kat :)

pipster326

• View Profile
Re: Kat STORING HER BIKE?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 12:27:20 PM »
I usually keep mine on the center stand, to keep the weight off the tires, definitely keep it hooked up to the battery tender, I also don’t drain all the fuel out, I start mine a couple times a week, but that’s just me. I’m sure everyone else will post their preferences for the winter also

Rich

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 01:28:10 PM »
Yes will do that on center stand.  I won't have access to it so I will likely take the battery out and keep it on a tender with me.  I guess fuel stabilizer in tank will be good idea. I understand I should fill the tank up with gas to.

I usually keep mine on the center stand, to keep the weight off the tires, definitely keep it hooked up to the battery tender, I also don’t drain all the fuel out, I start mine a couple times a week, but that’s just me. I’m sure everyone else will post their preferences for the winter also

Rich

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 02:01:34 PM »
Some folk like to smear exposed metal their bikes with waxy spray or Vaseline (but not brakes!). I know some that put a bung of sorts up the exhaust. Also, take the spark plug out and add a drop or 2 of engine oil and crank engine over to coat the bore.

Generally though, for a short winter break, a good wash and brush up, lubricate cables, tend battery etc and, as had been said, lift it on to the mainstand is all that I would do. On restart, change oils etc, take spark plug cap off and turn motor a few times.

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 04:34:22 PM »
Awesome Thanks Snorvey :) good points

Some folk like to smear exposed metal their bikes with waxy spray or Vaseline (but not brakes!). I know some that put a bung of sorts up the exhaust. Also, take the spark plug out and add a drop or 2 of engine oil and crank engine over to coat the bore.

Generally though, for a short winter break, a good wash and brush up, lubricate cables, tend battery etc and, as had been said, lift it on to the mainstand is all that I would do. On restart, change oils etc, take spark plug cap off and turn motor a few times.

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 12:00:31 AM »
First of all Kat, if that barn has every had cows or horses in there, then you don't want to store you bike in there. Might sound like a dumb thing to say, but actually it's not, and here's why. If it's ever been used to house livestock, especially over many years, then the dirt floor has been saturated with urine and that biodegrades into ammonia, which mixes with certain elements in the ground to form  ammonia nitrate or a compound closer enough to it. It will turn anything metal into a rusty mess in no time. Metal does not have to touch it, it's in the air Now with all that said, if it's just a storage shed or barn: If the floor is earth then the tires must not touch it. You need to shut off the fuel petcock and run the engine till it stops. then Turn Ignition OFF. remove the battery and store in a wam place, if possible, off the ground, especially concrete. It is preferable to put fresh motor oil in prior to layup. Put the recommended amount of Sta-bil in the fuel tank. It is also preferable to have the fuel tank completely full. Then cover the entire bike with a breathable cover.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 09:58:18 AM »
Thanks!  Not a animal barn.  All metal and cement floor.  Yes got all the suggestions you mention to do written down.  Kat's bike will be perfect and cozy.  :)

First of all Kat, if that barn has every had cows or horses in there, then you don't want to store you bike in there. Might sound like a dumb thing to say, but actually it's not, and here's why. If it's ever been used to house livestock, especially over many years, then the dirt floor has been saturated with urine and that biodegrades into ammonia, which mixes with certain elements in the ground to form  ammonia nitrate or a compound closer enough to it. It will turn anything metal into a rusty mess in no time. Metal does not have to touch it, it's in the air Now with all that said, if it's just a storage shed or barn: If the floor is earth then the tires must not touch it. You need to shut off the fuel petcock and run the engine till it stops. then Turn Ignition OFF. remove the battery and store in a wam place, if possible, off the ground, especially concrete. It is preferable to put fresh motor oil in prior to layup. Put the recommended amount of Sta-bil in the fuel tank. It is also preferable to have the fuel tank completely full. Then cover the entire bike with a breathable cover.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 12:44:09 PM »
Plug the air cleaner and variator intakes as well as the exhaust. Mouses and some insects like to get in there with ALL of their relatives!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 05:47:55 PM »
YES great idea.  It is a cozy little hole to climb into!! :)

Plug the air cleaner and variator intakes as well as the exhaust. Mouses and some insects like to get in there with ALL of their relatives!

Karl

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 05:49:27 PM »
Variator intakes?? I don't know where or what that is.

Karl

gregspeople250

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 06:50:07 PM »
Fill the fuel tank full and add fuel stabilizer and run some fuel through the engine before storage.
Change the oil because old oil includes acids that will react with the alloys in the engine. It's a small detail but one worth doing.
Be sure the coolant has enough antifreeze protection for your anticipated minimum temperature.
Remove the battery and store it on a tender in an area with good air flow, not in your bedroom!
Dream about scooting!
Honda Elite 80 - SOLD
Yamaha Vino 125 - SOLD
Kymco People 250 - SOLD
Kymco Like 200i - SOLD
Vespa 250 GTS - SOLD
Piaggio BV350 - FUN! - SOLD
Buddy 170i - FUN! - SOLD
Honda Silverwing - SOLD
Yamaha TMAX - OUTSTANDING! - SOLD
Honda SH150 - SOLD
Yamaha SMAX - SOLD
Kymco AK550

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 11:10:20 PM »
Variator intakes?? I don't know where or what that is.

Oval hose forward of plastic CVT cover. Either take cover off CVT or lay on floor.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 11:17:23 PM »
Good point Karl, I just knew I was leaving out something, but could not pull it up. That's the beauty of a forum.I think I forgot to say that the battery should be stored ON THE TENDER, greg Together guys, we'll take good care of this scooter girl.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 05:55:20 AM »
Ha Ha Ha I can dream about you, if I can't ride you tonight! LOL!! I can dream!! I can dream!!!!  :D

Fill the fuel tank full and add fuel stabilizer and run some fuel through the engine before storage.
Change the oil because old oil includes acids that will react with the alloys in the engine. It's a small detail but one worth doing.
Be sure the coolant has enough antifreeze protection for your anticipated minimum temperature.
Remove the battery and store it on a tender in an area with good air flow, not in your bedroom!
Dream about scooting!

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 05:57:44 AM »
I just love you all!  :D :D Thanks everyone!You all have to see the cover I just got for it! Kick ass :)

Good point Karl, I just knew I was leaving out something, but could not pull it up. That's the beauty of a forum.I think I forgot to say that the battery should be stored ON THE TENDER, greg Together guys, we'll take good care of this scooter girl.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()