Author Topic: I liked the Like 200i so much I bought 2  (Read 732 times)

jeffro1105

• Ride like the wind :)
    • View Profile
I liked the Like 200i so much I bought 2
« on: November 24, 2017, 03:22:57 AM »
So I have two Like 200i's, one that I ride (2017 model) and one my girlfriend rides (2012 model) I have yet to find a difference between them, anyone have any tips or tricks to ensure they continue running smooth & steady other than oil changes and using NGK Iridium plugs, we love these things they're so fun and we never thought we could get them up to 60 mph but they do on flat straight roads
2017 Kymco Like 200i_Red  W/Black stripe
2012 Kymco Like 200i_Midnight Blue

big blue

• View Profile
Re: I liked the Like 200i so much I bought 2
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 03:54:46 AM »
Welcome to the forum and good choice, My 2012 Like has 9000miles and runs like a train. Oil changes are a big deal and USE KYMCO PARTS. Stig will be along any time now to fill you in on everything else you need to know. ;)
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 06:12:52 PM »
Hello jeffro, and welcome!

You have a pair of great scooters!
The LIKE , with various engines world-wide, is one of Kymco's most popular models.
I think people are drawn to it initially because of its Lambretta/Vespa appearance. (Kymco commissioned an Italian design house for the LIKE)
In any event it has also proven to be a sturdy little scooter - as much as a plastic bodied scooter can be. Certainly I've heard no issues with the steel frame mounted engine or suspension.

A few have commented about:
breaking plastic tabs on the lower body sides
muffler heat-shield screws working loose (do check these)
failed passenger foot-peg springs
two members reported a failure in the throttle body (I think both were under warranty - mine was)
Some owners are not happy with the long-wearing stock Kenda tires, esp. in the wet, and have switched to Michelin or Metzler tires.
Most find the CVT cover to be tough to remove the first time (carefully tapping the pry points from the muffler side works well)

I cannot recall any other issues.

It is pretty easy to service - there are on-line service manuals which are fairly accurate - and there are quite a few posts with pix here of various service procedures.

Freq, oil changes are cheap (less than a Qt. ea.) easy and keep this aircooled engine alive and happy.  Several of us are in 6 digits mileage. (I'm at 13,000+ and using NO oil between my 600-1000 mile oil changes)

It would seem prudent to replace the oil frequently if running this aircooled engine at max throttle for long periods. We have no coolant, radiator or thermostat to keep things under control.
We also do not have any of the hassles of all those parts! My 2013 LIKE200iLX has operated happily at temps ranging from 3°F to 99°F - even if I haven't.

Other than color and price changes - I am not aware of any differences between the early LIKE200i's and the most recent. Also, not aware of any recalls or issues found in some models but not in others. It seems Kymco got it right - from the start! :)

Ride safe - and we encourage questions.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 08:01:36 PM »
You picked a great scooter. I had a 2012 that I put over 14,000 miles on before reluctantly traded it in on a MC. Had a few of the issues Stig posted, but all taken care of under warranty. It's a very easy scooter to work on if you like to DIY. Mostly just oil changes and filter cleaning. About once a year other services may be needed like wear and tear parts. It is one of the best bang for your hard earn money I have ever experienced. Made me smile every time I rode it.   

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()