Author Topic: Should I adjust Valves on B&W 250  (Read 1090 times)

Togger

• View Profile
Should I adjust Valves on B&W 250
« on: November 05, 2017, 06:34:40 PM »
My B&W 250 has about 13000 miles on it and possibly has never had the valves adjusted. I don't know if the previous owner(s) ever did it and I haven't in the seven years I've owned it. It seems to run fine. Should I just leave well enough alone or try to adjust them myself, even though I've never done it before?

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
Re: Should I adjust Valves on B&W 250
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 06:42:31 PM »
  I would take the head off,  and check the valves they are most likely to be close to spec.  ,  it will give you a good feeling you have checked it,.  and put it back together

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 07:49:10 PM »
He really means the valve cover, Tog, not the whole head! I second his recommendation! Check them just to be sure. You will not have to worry if they are close and you will KNOW!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 09:01:44 PM »
I would absolutely check the valves.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 12:35:24 AM »
Togger,
A couple of questions :

Re. the scooter :
Starts easily, steady idle and good running on the move?

I think we need a little more info on your mechanical skills and confidence ....
A valve check is a bit complicated ....and you will need good instructions and tools and confident skills to check the valve gaps.
Some scoots are easy to work on....some much harder due to panels and engine/frame parts restricting easy access.

The ideal would be to watch someone do your valves, start to finish, the first time. But, maybe you don't need that. ?

Some time ago - we had a newbie member do his valves, and get lost.
No amount of advice and posts could get it staightened out. Many tries.....it was all Greek to him. Best guess was that he flubbed step one - and was not at Top Dead Center when he loosened the adjusters.

While getting your valve gap in good specs is the ideal --- many folks never mess with, or pay for, a valve check IF THE SCOOTER IS RUNNING GOOD. Some shops also give that advice - if it's running good & starting easily.

Me, I could not sleep not knowing what my valve gap is!
So, please tell us about your mechanical skills.

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Togger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 07:21:46 PM »
I wouldn't say my technical skill is great, but I've taken the panels off the scooter to replace sparkplugs and changed the oil and transmission oil. The scooter requires a couple of tries to start when cold, when I haven't ridden it for a week or two, but after it's warmed up it starts fine. I think that might have to do with the automatic choke. I have a service manual that explains how to adjust the valves, but my concern is getting the engine at TDC. Do I need a special wrench to turn it, and is there a nut to attach the wrench to?

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 08:32:43 PM »
I wouldn't say my technical skill is great, but I've taken the panels off the scooter to replace sparkplugs and changed the oil and transmission oil. The scooter requires a couple of tries to start when cold, when I haven't ridden it for a week or two, but after it's warmed up it starts fine. I think that might have to do with the automatic choke. I have a service manual that explains how to adjust the valves, but my concern is getting the engine at TDC. Do I need a special wrench to turn it, and is there a nut to attach the wrench to?

No special wrench needed, actually no wrench at all. You could turn the engine with your hand on the outer variator pulley. Removal of the spark plug makes it super easy.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 02:19:55 AM »
Togger, Now I'm concerned. I may be wrong on the spark plug removal, but I don't thing so. You should not have to remove any panels to change the plug or the oils on either end???
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 06:42:59 PM »
On the People 250, you need to remove plastic to access the spark plug. So it wouldn't surprise me if it was the same. The engine and transmission oils don't require that, but I don't think he was saying that.

I believe that all the 250 kymco scooter engines are exactly the same. If so, adjusting the valves is pretty easy.

The service manual should be very helpful here.

One way to turn the engine is to remove the shiny metal cover that says "Kymco" near the oil dipstick. You'll need to remove the oil dipstick and possibly loosen/turn a coolant clamp to pull it out, in addition to the three bolts holding it on. Do something to remind yourself to not start the scooter until you tighten the coolant clamp again. There's also a spring behind the cover that you'll want to not lose. You can then turn the engine with a socket and extension.

I don't know how it is on yours, but on the People 250, getting the valve cover off is a bit tricky. You need to push the engine down relative to the frame while it's on the side stand to access the top bolts (using an extension) and to clear the frame when pulling it off.

Make sure to recheck the valves after tightening them down if you need to adjust anything.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()