Author Topic: slight jerking at takeoff  (Read 1148 times)

moparkid

• View Profile
slight jerking at takeoff
« on: November 04, 2017, 03:19:35 PM »
So my 300 has about 34000 miles on it. I have done all the maintenance, replaced belt, replaced steering fork bearings and any other jobs as needed. Yesterday I started noticing a slight jerking at takeoff only. I feel it's one of two things....either it's time for another belt replacement (though the last time it never jerked, I just knew it was time due to lack of power) or there could be a clutch issue. Any hints or suggestions as to troubleshooting issue is appreciated.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: slight jerking at takeoff
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 03:43:55 PM »
Take the glaze off the clutch shoes with sand paper.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

moparkid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 06:02:18 PM »
Thanks Karl. I will give it a try. On a side note, last weekend I am out 40 miles from the nearest town cruising along at a nice 70 mph clip and the bike just dies. So I go thru the checklist of "what could it be".....got plenty of gas, fresh new battery less than 2 months old but as I am cranking trying to restart it I sense I am getting no spark.....hmmm.....pull the tub out ( I now carry the proper tool kit just in case) and there is the culprit....somehow the spark plug cable had popped out. Apparently the lil screw on bushing that goes over the tail end of the spark plug had somehow worked its way off and was lost. Luckily I carry zip ties and was able to fasten the cable to another set of hoses that kept the cable attached to the plug.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 12:49:20 AM »
Good find on the plug cap AND having the tools on board to start the process! Once you get the shoes deglazed use fairly aggressive throttle on each takeoff to keep the glazing to a minimum.

Karl
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 12:52:24 AM »
MoparKid, You got lucky on that one.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

jeeves

• Dubrovnik, Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 04:54:34 PM »

Thanks Karl. I will give it a try. On a side note, last weekend I am out 40 miles from the nearest town cruising along at a nice 70 mph clip and the bike just dies. So I go thru the checklist of "what could it be".....got plenty of gas, fresh new battery less than 2 months old but as I am cranking trying to restart it I sense I am getting no spark.....hmmm.....pull the tub out ( I now carry the proper tool kit just in case) and there is the culprit....somehow the spark plug cable had popped out. Apparently the lil screw on bushing that goes over the tail end of the spark plug had somehow worked its way off and was lost. Luckily I carry zip ties and was able to fasten the cable to another set of hoses that kept the cable attached to the plug.

Same thing happened to me, but the little screw got all it's threads eaten away by the spark plug so I had to improvise with a few bits of wood I found to somehow jam the plug holder on the plug. Luckily I was only 7km from home.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

Agility City 125

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 02:38:39 AM »
Can we all contribute to a group book -- The MacGyver Guide to Scooter Troubleshooting -- or something like that ;)

- Wolf

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 11:06:05 AM »
Wolf has it! The really good idea! First edition goes to Kymco US to be sent to dealers!

Karl
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 06:06:50 PM »
What Karl said X 2
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 11:28:42 PM »
Karl undoubtedly has the answer, but I'll add two cent's worth: After sanding the clutches on my 250 I noticed a glaze build-up on the bell as well, so I sanded and acetoned the bell to get the glaze off. I suspect some grease got on my clutch and was causing the "jerkiness" on take-off. Take a look at the bell while you are in there and clean it if you see a build-up on it.
2009 GV 250

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 01:34:16 AM »
The suggestions Karl and others gave is spot-on. I have found that slightly lighter rollers help also. Think of it like taking off in 1st gear instead of 2nd.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()