Author Topic: 2009 Xciting 500RI - Grumbling sound  (Read 695 times)

kymcomartownsf

• View Profile
2009 Xciting 500RI - Grumbling sound
« on: October 31, 2017, 06:32:42 PM »
I have a 09 Xciting 500RI that I use for commuting in the hilly city of SF.

I notice that when I ride 2 up and a lot of inclines, the scooter starts to grumble when accelerating from 0mph. Almost sound like something rubbing loudly. Anyone experience that?

xsel777

• View Profile
Re: 2009 Xciting 500RI - Grumbling sound
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 09:27:59 PM »
I can only suggest opening up the cvt case, a couple of bolts, size 10,and have a look inside. Lots of black dust = belt probably needs replacing. Move the variator and clutch in various directions, not only rotational, and check if there is a lot of movement.
Now that i have written this, I am leaning toward the clutch pads or mechanism, but I admit, I am guessing.

Sent from my Mi Max using Tapatalk

2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

gwdoiron

• View Profile
Re: 2009 Xciting 500RI - Grumbling sound
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 10:49:26 PM »
Inspect belt.  Inspect clutch shoes, buff with a brass brush if glazed over, replace them all if one is cracked.   Clean up inside of bell housing with brake cleaner.  If you have the tools, disassemble the rear pulley and re-grease the sliding shafts and bearings.  Do not attempt to clean the pulley belt contact surfaces with cleaner or grease cutter unless you are sure that it won't drip down onto the drive shaft, and that you can clean it all off afterwards (i.e. you have the pulley already disassembled).  Do NOT overlubricate, since it will fly outwards and potentially onto the belt or belt friction surfaces.

While you have the case open and the belt off, it wouldn't hurt to clean up and relubricate the variator as well.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 10:56:36 PM by gwdoiron »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()