Author Topic: Starter will turn on by itself.  (Read 1761 times)

Ernst

• View Profile
Starter will turn on by itself.
« on: October 30, 2017, 09:12:33 PM »
 I have had starter issues for a while but couldn't afford the down time since I ride my 2010 People s 250 as my only transport.
Below was the best advice I found from a thread called Starter runs on.

That's what I would suspect is the Ground terminal. Find the point where it attaches to the engine, and the second point where it attaches to the frame.

The starter relay uses the ground circuit for the brake light so if the frame/engine grounds are bad it will use the light bulbs resistance as ground, and over heat the contacts in the relay making the arc shut.

Just a maybe but I could double check these points. Loosen them p, and clean the contact area to be sure.

I have replaced solenoid now twice different brands.  Tested this newest one with jumpers and works as expected however the starter switch doesn't activate it now; not even with the old trick of tapping on the solenoid that used to stop or start Starter running.

This is a "Salvage" scooter I picked up with 2008 miles on it.  First Owner ran into a parking garage swing arm LOL! Plastic was the victim as best as I know. Busted up riders right side things and headlight assy I believe. Was salvaged but not so bright mechanic in my opinion who glued things back together. I replaced those parts as mechanic said there was no way to get parts; yeah right.  Price was right and scooter was running great so it was worth it.   

This problem started as an intermittent horn issue and I suspected a "Ground" problem but progressed to sometimes it would not start and then became that starter stayed on (stuck) and then came on by itself at speeds above 50 MPH. Now I am seeing the battery drain and or not charge well.  By the way those small jump start devices really work!

I assume I am in for a wire trace, cleaning grounds as suggested and testing things with meter. I now have the time to strip all the plastic and do the work.

Should I opt to replace other parts to be on the safe side? Voltage regulator for example?

I welcome advice !

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
Re: Starter will turn on by itself.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 10:08:48 PM »
It could be the starter switch itself and/or a weak battery. Test the switch and then the battery. I wouldn't recommend throwing parts at it until I found out the cause. Been there, done that!

« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 10:16:52 PM by Mr. Paul »
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Ernestt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 02:36:53 AM »
i had a bad ground keeping my battery from charging .It was the main braided wire going to the motor(covered with oil) to the negative battery cable.the starter issue sounds like the switch i had that happen in my chinese scooter days but check  where those metal folding things hold the wire against the frame before buying a switch
2009 kymco people 250s

Ernestt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 02:39:02 AM »
make shure to post how you fixed it good luck
2009 kymco people 250s

Ernst

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 11:53:57 AM »
i had a bad ground keeping my battery from charging .It was the main braided wire going to the motor(covered with oil) to the negative battery cable.the starter issue sounds like the switch i had that happen in my chinese scooter days but check  where those metal folding things hold the wire against the frame before buying a switch

How cool; I am now having charging issues now too.

Ernst

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 01:32:24 AM »
Couldn't see a ground problem and cleaned things.
Ordered a Voltage regulator. Cost about $40 from Kymco.
Expect it next week.

Having to charge battery every trip.I am carrying a second fully charged battery and have a jump-start unit so getting by.

Will update later.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()