Author Topic: Milling around  (Read 913 times)

Snorvey

• View Profile
Milling around
« on: October 29, 2017, 10:57:13 AM »
The clocks went back last night so, rather than an extra hour in bed, I got up at normal time, watched the Malaysian MotoGP and then took the DT into town for a wash and a brush up.

I followed that up with a gentle bimble around the area whilst the roads were quiet (and dry!). I stopped at an old mill to take a photograph for y'all

« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 09:12:59 PM by Snorvey »

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Milling around
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 06:06:39 PM »
Very picturesque!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 01:02:29 AM »
Do you know any history on the mill?
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 03:43:46 AM »
Here in the USA, our clocks don't fall back until 11/5, yet my VCR, which I only use for its clock anymore, automatically went back an hour last night. It must be an immigrant or a fugitive from your neck of the woods is all I can think of.

Your photo evokes a feeling of coldness and loneliness, brrr....
2009 GV 250

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 08:42:59 AM »
Morning Mac

Do you know any history on the mill?

Not much more than is on the 'Listed Buildings' website

Late 18th-early 19th century with mid/later 19th century.

Kiln. Whitewashed rubble with tooled dressings. Wheel in situ to W and frame of second wheel to E. Roof slated
with various different slates including Welsh and Banffshire.

Square pyramidal roofed ventilator.

Whitewashed rubble store and cartshed built on arches spanning mill lade; weather-boarded 1st floor and slate roof.

Statement of Special Interest

Site of various corn mills since at least 13th century. Also site of former brewery. Restored 1980.

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 08:47:52 AM »
Morning Stuo

Your photo evokes a feeling of coldness and loneliness, brrr....

Yeah, where I am there's no earthquakes, forest fires, mass shootings etc etc etc....

I actually quite enjoy riding when it's colder (as long as I'm not actually getting cold of course!). Modern bike gear and the DT's weather protection help a great deal here of course.

In the 80's, it was unfaired bikes with not much more than a leather jacket. Now THAT was Brrrrr!!!!!

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 03:45:41 AM »
Greetings to you, Snorvey,

I well remember the 80's (not much since) when I was the only wuss in our group rides with a windscreen. I had a 1974 Moto Guzzi El Dorado ex-police bike. After we rode four or five hours at speed on the freeways I was raring for more adventure while the others were ready for a nap. Can you imagine doing 70mph with no wind protection? There were fools in our group who weren't wearing helmets either, as this was before they were mandatory. Ah yes, the good old days when being macho meant being stupid.

You must have a very boring life without fires, floods, earthquakes or even an occasional shooting or two.

2009 GV 250

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 05:15:14 AM »
Great photo Snorvey.   :)

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 05:02:13 AM »
The information you provided on that old mill was very interesting, Snorvey. I would love to explore some sites like that. When I was in Germany in the early 60's, I got to visit some old castles from the 13th and 14th centuries. In those days families of noblemen built huge structures on small mountains and the mountains with their castles bore the name of the nobleman. Such as Hornstoffin,, Castle which could be seen from our barracks window. It was mostly intact, unlike so many that were little more than rubble. Much history in that land.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()