Author Topic: Should I buy a motorcycle lift?  (Read 1516 times)

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
Should I buy a motorcycle lift?
« on: October 28, 2017, 01:46:21 PM »
I like working on my equipment, but I hate laying on my back/side to do so! I have run across a good deal at Harbor Freight on a motorcycle lift for 69 bucks. Do any of yall use anything like this? Any thoughts. It only lifts up to 17 inches so I dont know if it will really help a lot. I will include the link below;

https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb-Capacity-ATVMotorcycle-Lift-60536.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiMjM0OTE3MzYiLCJza3UiOiI2MDUzNiIsImlzIjoiNjkuOTkiLCJwcm9kdWN0X2lk%0D%0AIjoiOTM3NyJ9%0D%0A&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=4317c&utm_source=1031&cid=mEmail_s1031_c4317c&sfid=cGF1bGRvbWlueUB5YWhvby5jb20=
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Should I buy a motorcycle lift?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 04:36:00 PM »
My opinion is this would be better than nothing. The best would be the 400 buck rig that lifts the whole bike on its wheels and center or side stand. That will get you any height you want and it won't crush any bottom plastic.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

eamartin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 07:02:23 PM »
I've used one on my KLR 650.  I had to remove the plastic skid plate to get at the frame tubes.  I can't really use one on my Super8 with all that plastic in the way of the bottom.  I have a platform (two 6 X 12's attached side by side) sitting on milk crates.  Via a ramp, I can roll small motorcycles and scooters onto this set-up and it helps quite a bit.

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 08:24:56 PM »
That is a great price!

My concern is keeping the bike from falling over...on me...or worse yet, onto the ground and breaking various plastic parts. The HF lift I saw seems smallish.

Tell you what: you buy it and let us know how it works out...or doesn't.
2009 GV 250

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 09:19:13 PM »
I'm sorry but I guess I posted prematurely. When I looked under my Helix I discovered the pivot point is way too far back to use this kind of lift. There is nothing but engine where the rear support would go. I am still mulling around the idea of making a DIY raised motorcycle ramp. I have lumber. I have tools. I have YouTube!  :)
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 01:23:57 AM »
I have a pulley lift and I lift the scooter up and slide a table under the scooter, wheel chocks nailed together on plywood and I leave the pulley hooked up so it is solid, wont tip over,   cost about $ 50.00

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 01:31:57 AM »
thinking maybe cheaper ,  1 sheet plywood 2 ft. x 8 ft.  wooden wheel chocks use screws to make it,  4 corner hooks to lift it and slip two work horses under it, 

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 02:23:56 AM »
As for your concerns of the bike falling off. After you have raised it, there are tie down loops on the jack for straps. They work good. Don't try to strap it down while it on the floor, because the tie-down loops and the bike change their relative position to each other when it is raised.  I built my first one about twice as big as the on pictured and put a piece of diamond plate on it and a section of channel steel on top of that. Now I can roll any bike up on the channel and set the side or center stand on the diamond plate and lift the whole thing up to 28 inches. I used an 8 ton bottle jack. I've lifted my HD dresser, about 1000 lbs, no problem. and after it's up and strapped you can roll it all over the shop. The one I built has out riggers on each side, with adjustable pads so I can climb up on the bike while it's lifted, without fear of tipping.
The problem with this type, pictured  bike lift is, the two rails that the bike actually rest on need to be under the frame and most scooter have plastic covering the frame or as Mr. Paul said, engine and belt housing where you need to lift. De dee, you'd be better served to spring for the lift table at HF tools for $429. It is item # 68892 it has a 1,000 lb capacity and lifts up to 29 and 1/2 inches.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 11:04:14 AM »
Mr. Paul, I bought the motorcycle lift from harbor freight,  it it was the other one with the longer support arms and bottle jack for lifting, the red one. Just be careful, the scooter has a lot of plastics underneath. Just like ole two wheels explained.I believe these stands are made bikes,that don’t have any plastics and are all steel or metal underneath. The one I bought was vey awkward , even when I used the included support,ratchet straps,that came with it. I finally just sold it, to a guy that had a Harley-Davidson. Maybe the one you are looking at will work better. Hopefully it will. Just be careful

Rich

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 11:07:37 AM »
P.s. That lift table,goes on sale often and with the 20% coupon,you can get it for under $300.
Harbor Freight,is one of my favorite stores,I go at least once a week [emoji16]

Rich

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 01:55:52 PM »
My thoughts on a lift:
A squatting stance, or on my knees, next to my scooter is no better than having it on the ground...for my body.
A nearly waist high lift would be wonderful....but not affordable.

I went in this direction....So, I  spent $30 on a 1"  thick black foam exercise matt. ....and have nearly fallen asleep on it after some scooter servicing.
As for lift points under scooter panels....I studied photos of the Honda Forza frame. Then located a good jack point (car jack and small pine bd)
where the panel was dead against a frame member. Just lifted the front wheel this way....with no damage....but only a very small % of the scoot's total weight.

In short - if I can't get it high enough - I'd just as soon have both of us on the garage floor. Very little danger of a mishap - unless I  doze through  the family dinner.
Stig

« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 02:00:00 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 05:08:45 PM »
My old mum's got one of those battery powered bath chair lift things.

When she goes, I'm having it and converting it into a bike lift for the shed

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2017, 06:00:44 PM »
I like your wooden ramp idea. It should be pretty economical to build, and you'd have the flexibility to make it whatever height you want.

As long as you don't mind the space it'll take up.

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2017, 07:25:33 PM »
I like your wooden ramp idea. It should be pretty economical to build, and you'd have the flexibility to make it whatever height you want.

As long as you don't mind the space it'll take up.

I am about to tear down a tree house I built my son over 20 years ago. And I mean a tree HOUSE. I will have plenty of lumber to tackle the project. Heres a video I found that pretty much lays out what I would want to do. Still kind of bummed out the Harbor Freight lift wouldn't work out. As far as space, I am planning on storing it on its end;

2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Charlie P

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2017, 10:11:45 PM »
I bought one of those to work on my scooters (Yager 200, Grand Vista, and Xciting 500) - I've never had the guts to slide that thing under any of the scooters and use it- It just doesn't appear safe (scooter tipping side to side  :-X during the raising process or tipping back if not positioned properly :-\) and the lift pads are in the way too.  My 500 at 467 pounds is just too heavy to trust raising it 17" high and hoping nothing bumps it on the side  :'(

I now just use the lift to raise the front of my tractor mower to service it.
Charlie P.
2013 Xciting 500Ri ABS
formerly 2010 Yager & 2008 Grand Vista
Near Haslet, TX (NW of Fort Worth)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()