Author Topic: Cold start issue update..  (Read 970 times)

mrjlube

• View Profile
Cold start issue update..
« on: October 24, 2017, 09:52:45 PM »
I have owned my 09 xciting 500 since brand new in 2010. This thing has never started under 45 degrees.  I have been through 2 batteries so far. Yesterday i purchased the Yuasa agm high performance version of the 14 bs. It has a higher cold cranking amp than stock. Long story short my scoot has started flawlessly the last 2 40 degree mornings,this has never happened before,i am so happy,i hope this was the answer. Changed the plug to a hotter one also,the c7 instead of the c8 ngk. Just wanted to update you all. Be safe everyone!

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Cold start issue update..
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 10:10:49 PM »
That is great mrj! However, be advised that plug heat range has nothing to do with starting and everything to do with running at temperature under a load. Go back to what was in there if the plug had that tan color and it was running normally.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

mrjlube

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 11:11:43 PM »
Thank you....yes,the 8 I pulled out was nice and tan. I will go pick up another c8 and get that c7 back out. Thanks for the tip.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 12:22:17 AM »
Yer welcome! Good cruisin' to ya! That battery was good news for all 500 riders!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

sissymary

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 10:13:34 AM »
Thats what I have been saying for years. Buy a high quality true gel, or even better a lithium battery from ebay. Most batteries today are chinese or mexico low powered crap with zero cranking amp's. The original battery was fine with the carbed scoots, but with the fuel pump on the 2009's and up taking more juice, the starting issue arrived. Also, get the switches from a European bike that lets you turn off the head light when starting. That's a huge load for the battery to handle when it's 35 degrees or so out side. :-*

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()