Author Topic: Stig gets the side-stand installed !  (Read 796 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Stig gets the side-stand installed !
« on: October 21, 2017, 12:58:02 AM »
Days of studying the situation - and a few uncomfortable hours on my knees getting off the blasted small side panel which must be permanently removed in order to install the side stand on my Piaggio Liberty. (I actually heard the neighbor's mower pause - when that panel came rocketing out of my garage)

The next day - the side stand itself was an easy 20 minute installation!

Buttered up the pivot pin with the recommended water proof (Marine) grease; set the O rings in place; 5mm allen screw tightened; snapped on the spring with a spring puller. Ta-da! **

Spring puller came with my son's aftermarket CB500 exhaust - springs are a lot easier with this little tool!

Really wonder what a dealer will charge to install this side stand. There must be an easier solution to that panel.
Stig

Nope - I'm not installing the side-stand shut-off switch. I've never come close to running a scooter engine with the side stand down - and I do not want to have the switch or the wire socket play-up and shut me down some winter day a few years from now. I like to keep things simple. Plus, I'd probably have to remove more panels to find the socket for the wiring kit.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 01:04:55 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
Re: Stig gets the side-stand installed !
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 04:44:35 AM »
So are you saying your Piaggio did not come with a side stand??? I guess you are, if you had to installed one. Who woulda thunk it?
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 11:35:10 AM »
Yep, no side stand with electric cut off. No USB port.
Happily traded for the standard ABS!
My son's CB500X  came without a center stand. We installed one. Guess that is common on bikes?

Stig
PS: the Liberty is the easiest center stand I've ever come across. Small girl in bare feet could put it down.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 01:44:56 PM »
PS: the Liberty is the easiest center stand I've ever come across. Small girl in bare feet could put it down.

Made me chuckle as the center stand on my Goldwing was a beast. Had to step up on it with full body weight to rachet it up. One gent on a GW forum tried it in socks and hurt his foot pretty bad. A #900+ bike is a handful. Good thing it also had reverse.
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 02:41:52 AM »
My old Aprillia scooter didn't come with a side stand, so I ordered one online and had to cut a hole in the plastic side fairing.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 02:37:53 PM »
Yep, no side stand with electric cut off. No USB port.
Happily traded for the standard ABS!
My son's CB500X  came without a center stand. We installed one. Guess that is common on bikes?

Stig

the same with my bv 350 piaggio about half the Wt. to mount the center stand from a downtown 300i  just turned 3,550 miles, and loven it  XXX OOO

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()