Author Topic: Time for the cold gear....  (Read 1295 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Time for the cold gear....
« on: October 16, 2017, 01:41:03 AM »
Going to get into the 30's again for my sunrise rides this week.

This jacket is not cheap - but it is hi viz - day and night, and warm.

I wear this waterproof jacket over an armored ICON perforated leather jacket. Bought big enough as a top layer. Hi viz daylight color, with big 3M reflective strips around the body - as seen on winter highway workers.
Absolutely water proof, which means it is wind proof. Keeps my core perfectly comfortable down to low teens Fahrenheit. Also, I ride with no screens on my scooters - all winter in Ohio if roads clear of snow/ice...keeps my core (chest, back, arms) that warm. No wind up the sleeves or at the waist.
How cold can I ride with this jacket?....sometimes need to wear two balaclavas.

Took me 4 winters to find this solution to my crazy cold rides. I'm finished looking. Perfect for cold and wet rides - comfy liner.
Stig

https://www.occunomix.com/products/winter/jackets-and-coats/premium-original-bomber.html
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

mrjlube

• View Profile
Re: Time for the cold gear....
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 03:48:14 AM »
Wish i could get my cold gear out! Love my xciting 500 to death,but under 45 degrees....forget it,wont start.  So tired of dealing with it,i just dont try anymore if under 45......lol

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
in the last few years
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 12:09:03 PM »
I have had the best luck wearing a snow suit with sweats or extreme temp under wear under neath. Warm boots and socks are a must. Some good quality gauntlets really help too.
One weak spot is the back of the fingers. Wind blocking hand guards on the grip handles to block the wind off your fingers and hands is a great idea. I don`t have these but have been considering them.
I do ride on cold weather but, I prefer warm sunny days.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

ScooterLar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 12:13:04 PM »
To protect my legs from the cold, I wear fleece lined jeans. I get them at Tractor Supply for $35. I've already got them on today as the weather here in NJ is supposed to plummet today/tonight.
2005 Grand Vista
2006 Vespa LX 150
2009 Grand Vista
2006 People 250
2013 Like 200
2013 Like 200 LX
2012 Genuine Buddy 170i
2009 Genuine Buddy 125

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 04:49:44 PM »
Good write up on the jacket! I wear a Fly rainproof armored jacket with a zip in thermal liner. Its waterproof and windproof. I have also just installed a HUGE windscreen on the front of my scooter. I will be OK no matter the temps here in Georgia as long as there is no chance of ice.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 08:57:03 AM »
I wear a Fly rainproof armored jacket with a zip in thermal liner. Its waterproof and windproof. I have also just installed a HUGE windscreen on the front of my scooter. I will be OK no matter the temps here in Georgia as long as there is no chance of ice.

I have a triple layer armoured jacket and a big screen on my DT and that keeps the worst of the weather off. For the legs, I have a leg cover / apron thing or, if it's really hoofing it down, I keep a pair of waterproof trousers under the seat. Generally though, I find if I tuck everything in, I can stay mostly dry for the bulk of my short winter journeys - as long as I keep moving!

With regard to ice. Yes we have some now and again. The council gritters are pretty good at treating the roads overnight but I always check the temperature in the morning before leaving. Above zero and I go. Below and I take the car.

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 03:57:13 PM »
S M A R T
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 11:06:29 AM »
yesterday in Ottawa Canada 1/4 inch of ice on the windshield frozen solid at 6 oclock AM.     took the car !!!

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 01:56:33 PM »
yesterday in Ottawa Canada 1/4 inch of ice on the windshield frozen solid at 6 oclock AM.     took the car !!!

I'm not sure I would made it out from under the duvet to be honest.

jeeves

• Dubrovnik, Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 07:37:14 PM »
Anyone have this on their helmet?
If you do, does it help to keep the cold out?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F292291368721

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 07:41:53 PM by jeeves »
Agility City 125

mrjlube

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 07:42:33 PM »
Wow,I like how that looks! Looks like it would help out alot....Ive never seen this before.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2017, 03:33:50 AM »
I just ordre a new riding jacket,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002KNP0QY/ref=psdc_3271252011_t2_B00XWC8EY2

I'm in that horrible holding pattern where I'm waiting for it to arrive. It'll be the third jacket I've ordered this month, first two just didn't work out -- 1st didn't fit, and 2nd didn't have a reflective strip that was advertised. Hope the new one is as warm as it sounds, if not, Stig I may order what you did.

It's getting cold out here in South Jersey. Been wearing thermals under my jeans all weak, and a balaclava in for the morning commute. Once it's below freezing, or if there's snow or salt on the roads, the bikes but away.

- Wolf

jeeves

• Dubrovnik, Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2017, 11:43:52 AM »
Wow,I like how that looks! Looks like it would help out alot....Ive never seen this before.
I think I'm gonna order it, the people at webbikeworld liked it.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/windjammer/helmet-wind-blocker.htm

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

Agility City 125

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2017, 02:48:45 PM »
Extreme heat wave starting today. I'm glad I got in a good ride yesterday. 90s today, Over 100+ next couple of days. Yuck.
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2017, 08:54:49 AM »
If, like me, you're waiting for Santa to bring to a set of heated gloves, a handy interim measure for keeping your mitts warm whilst you wait for Christmas to come is a pair of silk gloves from Ebay. For five or six British pounds (which given the state of our currency is probably around five or six USD these days) you get a relatively cosy set of under gloves.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()