Author Topic: The real cost of new car fuel economy  (Read 2454 times)

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
Re: The real cost of new car fuel economy
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2017, 02:08:09 AM »
You are so right, except the tractor motor has a different block, as the engine on the n series Ford tractors are stress members. But the internals are pretty much the same. The hp amounted to about 24. I love to hear those old engines run. They have a very distinctive sound. What I meant about the cars from the 40's-thru the 70's is,although they required much more maintenance, I could work on them and keep them going. These modern cars and truck have so much electronics and computer mess on them, they have left me far behind. I know you've had to keep up with it. so it's no big deal to you. I'm like the old mechanic who was talking to his heart doctor.. He said, Doc, I know you have to be pretty smart to do heart surgery. The doctors agreed. but I'm pretty daggum smart myself. Why I can completely disassemble a V8 car motor and overhaul it and reassemble it and she'll crank right up and purr like a kitten. The doctor replied, I guess you are pretty smart, but have you tried doing it while it's running.? hee hee. You probably heard this before, but if not, it should give you a chuckle..
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2017, 02:41:50 AM »
You are so right, except the tractor motor has a different block, as the engine on the n series Ford tractors are stress members. But the internals are pretty much the same. The hp amounted to about 24. I love to hear those old engines run. They have a very distinctive sound. What I meant about the cars from the 40's-thru the 70's is,although they required much more maintenance, I could work on them and keep them going. These modern cars and truck have so much electronics and computer mess on them, they have left me far behind. I know you've had to keep up with it. so it's no big deal to you. I'm like the old mechanic who was talking to his heart doctor.. He said, Doc, I know you have to be pretty smart to do heart surgery. The doctors agreed. but I'm pretty daggum smart myself. Why I can completely disassemble a V8 car motor and overhaul it and reassemble it and she'll crank right up and purr like a kitten. The doctor replied, I guess you are pretty smart, but have you tried doing it while it's running.? hee hee. You probably heard this before, but if not, it should give you a chuckle..

:D :D :D
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2017, 07:20:33 AM »
I’ve heard it before. But I still laugh when I hear it.

By the way, I say that we mechanics may be a little smarter than doctors. Every human has all of his parts in the same place. And the design hasn’t ever changed.
All brains are in the head, all hearts are in the chest and have the same design and location (in the chest, 4 chambers, same number of valves, etc. )
With cars the design changes regularly. Parts location varies from vehicle to vehicle. The “heart” may be two valve, four valve, V or inline configuration, front or rear of car, turned crossways or straight...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2017, 01:33:07 PM »
Yeah, but! Yeah, but the mech has to actually FIX the problem he is presented to keep his customers, whereas the General Practitioner, radiologist, oncologist and cancer surgeons keep handing the same B$ lines with no better outcome. Ordinary people are so snowed by "educated" shysters. This rant does NOT include trauma surgeons and EMT's, ER nurses and techs, etc.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2017, 03:47:15 PM »
Yes, all that crossbolt said and something else. Mechanics mistakes just results in higher bills for the customers and their cars are  relegated to the used car lots and then on to the scrap yards, but doctor's mistakes translates into much higher bills and then their mistake are buried ...
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2017, 05:50:26 AM »
Yeah, but! Yeah, but the mech has to actually FIX the problem he is presented to keep his customers, whereas the General Practitioner, radiologist, oncologist and cancer surgeons keep handing the same B$ lines with no better outcome. Ordinary people are so snowed by "educated" shysters. This rant does NOT include trauma surgeons and EMT's, ER nurses and techs, etc.

Karl
Yes. When we attempt a fix, and it doesn’t work, we get to do it over for free. Or at the very least, we are expected to give a steep discount on the additional work. And the customer SURELY is not going to pay diag this time around Try asking a doctor to give a discount on the open heart surgery since the stint didn’t work. Try asking him to do this diag for free since the last diagnosis was not the answer to the current problem.

Good luck with that. Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2017, 10:37:34 AM »
Internet Doctoring vs Internet Auto Repairs

Per the internet that pimple could be the Rare & Deadly Peruvian Spider Bite Cyst .....or worse. And it probably is.

Scion xB tire pressure light just pop on? :
Add air, and look here for the under-dash re-set button. !

Love it for videos of scooter servicing, too.
Recall being emboldened to do my LIKE's valves, yrs ago, after viewing the video, " Canadian Butter Knife " shot by our northern member and his wife.**

Stig
**exhalent99

« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 11:21:24 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()