Author Topic: Need input- chain & sprockets YZF/R6 ..from you old bikers  (Read 507 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Need input- chain & sprockets YZF/R6 ..from you old bikers
« on: October 05, 2017, 01:14:31 AM »
OK, looking for input from youse old bikers ---  2 newbies are getting set to do a chain and sprockets replacement on a 2009 YZF-R6 YAMAHA.

Son has been dreaming of owning one of these for yrs.
Found a 5000 mile, clean looking bike from a dealer 400 miles distant.
Second long ride he took -- the chain broke.
AAA brought them both to my garage.
Obtained all new Yamaha parts - front & rear sprockets, chain & link, new front nut & 2 large sockets and chain breaker for the job.

I have my new Craftsman lithium/ion powered 1/2" impact gun (worked a treat on my LIKE200I and Burgman) so I think we're good for tools.

Have a Haynes with the nice dark and blurry pix.....
My 22 yr old son is eager and confident.... his Pop would welcome any/all pointers from you old bikers.

This bike has like four!! - LIKE200i or Piaggio cylinders under that massive gas tank. WTH ?!

STIG

« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 01:17:30 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

jeeves

• Dubrovnik, Croatia
    • View Profile
Re: Need input- chain & sprockets YZF/R6 ..from you old bikers
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 03:08:58 AM »
If it's all original Yamaha parts ,including chain, it should have the correct amount of links on it, so probably won't need to remove any.

Take care when connecting master link to chain. Use liberal amount of included grease. Tighten rivets in turns. Do not over tighten them!

Use torque wrench to tighten nuts to specified values (I know you know this [emoji6]). The front sprocket nut on my bike requires 120Nm (88.5 lb-ft)

Adjust chain play before tightening rear axle nut. The chain will tighten a bit up after torquing rear axle nut, so keep that in mind.
Adjust chain slack as stated in manual, do not overtightened it!  Check after a few hundred miles.

There must be a load of YouTube videos out there, probably even for R6 so take a look.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

Agility City 125

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()