Author Topic: Problems accelerating  (Read 1099 times)

Tim1214

• View Profile
Problems accelerating
« on: September 06, 2017, 06:55:53 PM »
Hi, looking for some advice, just bought a 50cc super 9, and it really struggles to accelerate. Just want to know if anyone's got any advice on how to solve this? I don't know much about the history of the bike unfortunately, but as far as I know it's standard, but does have an expansion chamber exhaust.
So far I've put a new clutch, variator rollers (7g) belt, cleaned up the variator face. So I'm pretty sure it isn't drive related. I have just taken off the air filter to clean, and it did have a small (maybe 1 tablespoon) of fuel in there? It runs great otherwise, and does about 50mph, it's just initial takeoff is painful, sometimes I have to assist it by scooting it with my foot! Thanks in advance:)

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
Re: Problems accelerating
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 03:38:37 PM »
Hello Tim, does yours have tach?  Runs 50mph is pretty good, so it's making decent HP.  Get back with more info, I suspect you need to tune CVT.  Cheers
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

Tim1214

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 08:14:14 PM »
No it doesn't have tach, I was doing some tinkering today, and I have a feeling someone's increased the main jet, maybe running a pod filter, there was the intake hose missing, so I bought some flexi ducting and replaced it, and had no acceleration at all!! I need to get some gaskets / sealant before I can strip the carb down, and likewise I need to get a spark plug Wrench to see if the plugs black, but for now I've removed the air inlet again, and added some holes to my air box, and I'm seeing an improvement, but not perfect yet, just don't want to go to far and run it lean. What else can be done to the cvt?

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 01:01:25 AM »
So, intake hose missing means air entering carb directly without going through airfilter?  If so, running too lean, will not run well especially at lower rpms.  No tach probably means you have AC engine, not LC.  Get your carb tuned, then worry with CVT.  Cheers
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()