Author Topic: Inconsistent idle  (Read 3936 times)

stuo

• View Profile
Inconsistent idle
« on: October 03, 2017, 07:20:43 PM »
Fellow Kymkers,

On both my '09 GV 250 and my '07 P 250 the idle will get faster the faster I've been riding. If I spend time on the freeway at 70 mph the idle will be so fast the clutch engages.

Does anyone else have this weirdness and do you have a cure or suggestion? I've thoroughly gone through both carbs so it's not that. The fast idle enricheners cut off correctly so it's not that.

Stu
2009 GV 250

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Inconsistent idle
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 08:58:16 PM »
Make sure your throttle is returning to the stop and not sticking.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 10:26:05 PM »
I have had the same issue. I adjusted the idle during one of the high speed runs (after pulling over.) Took a little trial and error to find the right idle for hot and cold. I suspect it has to do with the engine temps getting up a little more and affecting how the warmer air enters the combustion chamber. Or something like that. ???
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 09:59:14 PM »
Mr. Paul, I assume you adjusted the mechanical cable stop idle speed screw atop the carb? When I fiddle with that it goes from high idle speed to very low instantly, with nothing in between. Can you get a range of speed as you adjust the screw?  Stu
2009 GV 250

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 10:08:25 PM »
Karl,

That was the first thing I tried: pushing down hard on the cable stop. No luck. Interesting that it does it on both my 250's, the '07 People and the '09 Grand Vista.

I think the "final solution" is to buy a People 300gti and say bye-bye to carburetors. If only the new ones came in a real color, like red or yellow or even green. Anything but black or white.

Stu
2009 GV 250

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 10:42:52 PM »
I had that issue on my S200, tweaked it here and there, still would do it.

I finally got it to settle after I had to replace the PAIR pipe that broke, & had one of my local mechanics go through the carb, clean it and also upped the jet size a tetch.

My honest thought is that the PAIR pipe was cracked for a long time before that and would cause vacuum issues sometimes, but the carb work could have helped as well.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 11:53:50 PM »
Mr. Paul, I assume you adjusted the mechanical cable stop idle speed screw atop the carb? When I fiddle with that it goes from high idle speed to very low instantly, with nothing in between. Can you get a range of speed as you adjust the screw?  Stu

Yep, I just adjust the idle screw on the carb. I do get a range of rpms. Based on what your saying, I would think your low idle jet is clogged. Did you mechanically clean the jets with a wire or just spray?   I would love to have a Downtown, but I am a little tall for it. I do love my Helix though.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 11:56:55 PM by Mr. Paul »
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 06:26:30 PM »

"Yep, I just adjust the idle screw on the carb. I do get a range of rpms. Based on what your saying, I would think your low idle jet is clogged. Did you mechanically clean the jets with a wire or just spray?   I would love to have a Downtown, but I am a little tall for it. I do love my Helix though."

Yeah, both spraying and gentle reaming was done on the carb and the jets. The fact that both my 250's are doing it says something. Maybe there's a curse on me?
2009 GV 250

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 12:36:58 AM »
I'm out of ideas..Perhaps a Downtown in is your immediate future?  :)
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 02:59:49 AM »
 I bought a 2011 Downtown 300i today and I am in love! It has 3000 miles on it and runs way stronger and smoother then my carbureted 250's. And it is bright red-orange, a real color.

Many thanks for all the support and suggestions, guys. You are appreciated.

Anyone interested in a People 250?

Stu
2009 GV 250

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 08:35:49 PM »
The problem is the idle jet passage is way to small.  The smallest I have ever encountered you can barely fit a 25 gauge wire through it.  Once that passage is reduce in size to do build up from old gas the carburetor doesn't get enough gas at idle and from take off until the main jet kicks in.  You can change the idle jet and open the idle mixture screw to the max of 3 turns but you will still get the same tiny trickle of gas and the scooter will never right at idle / low speeds unless the carburetor is change or the passage is drilled out to restore it to the original size.

Fuel injection is great when implemented correctly especially in cars.  Motorcycles have taken 20 years to catch up and still there are issues with surging, stalling, won't restart, etc all the way to the present day even in high end motorcycles costing 10 to $20K and are more difficult to troubleshoot.  BMW rolled out EFI in 1986 and my 1992 K75S ran great (no staling, no uneven idle, no surging and you never touch it) until I sold it with 64K miles in 2009.  If the Kymco 250cc engines use a carb with a larger idle passage like most motorcycles you would see far fewer issues.
PaulC

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2018, 09:53:10 PM »
I finally solved the problem: I kept backing off the throttle freeplay adjustment at the handle until there is no slack in it. I suppose this forced the idle stop to close solidly every time, making the idle consistent.
2009 GV 250

mrbios

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2018, 01:51:31 AM »
I finally solved the problem: I kept backing off the throttle freeplay adjustment at the handle until there is no slack in it. I suppose this forced the idle stop to close solidly every time, making the idle consistent.

Be careful as there must be some slack or the engine will increase when you turn the handlebars.  Put the scooter on the center stand and turn the handlebars all the way left /right to test for this.  Did you ever clean the carburetor?
PaulC

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2018, 05:40:49 PM »
Thank you Mr. B, that is great advice: I shall check the idle at full turn to see if I need to back off the adjustment.

I'm too old and lazy to mess with the carbs unless it gets more troublesome; it's like being married, you put up with the minor stuff.

I loved my K75, too, it ran like a Swiss watch, never even a hic-cup.
2009 GV 250

mrbios

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2018, 12:33:55 AM »
Thank you Mr. B, that is great advice: I shall check the idle at full turn to see if I need to back off the adjustment.

I'm too old and lazy to mess with the carbs unless it gets more troublesome; it's like being married, you put up with the minor stuff.

I loved my K75, too, it ran like a Swiss watch, never even a hic-cup.

I totally understand how you feel.
PaulC

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()