Author Topic: Does the seat pop up when released?  (Read 946 times)

stuo

• View Profile
Does the seat pop up when released?
« on: October 25, 2017, 11:10:38 PM »
Is the shock absorber thingy that keeps the seat from opening completely supposed to pop the seat up a bit when turning the key to open it? My DT seat does not pop up, and I have to turn the key twice or thrice sometimes to get it open, using finger tips. Is it time to replace that thingy? I just bought the bike used and don't know if that is normal.
2009 GV 250

pipster326

• View Profile
Re: Does the seat pop up when released?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 11:32:16 PM »
The air piston arm, is just for support, when you have the seat opened all the way up. Try adjusting the seat cables. On the left side of the scooter, under the seat ,there should be a little access door, I believe it says “ seat cable”. It sounds like yours are too loose  and need to be tightened a bit.

Rich

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 12:03:28 AM »
Thanks, pip.

I have adjusted the cables/latches to click open readily but I remember my GV 250 seat popping up a bit when the seat was released.

You are in effect saying that your DT seat does not pop up either, so there's no point in me buying a new thingy? I now must ruin my manicure and possibly break a nail by prying the seat up with my finger tips. Not very considerate of you, Mr. Kymco. 

Stu
2009 GV 250

shalbern

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 02:23:01 AM »
BTW,

Just how do you adjust the cables so that they are a little tighter?
Which way do you turn the adjusting nuts?

Thanks

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 02:23:44 AM »
Stuo, try spraying a little lube on each latch mechanisms. It's all stamped steel and a bit rough and a little spray grease will help it. As stated, the support cylinder is just meant to hold it up after it is lifted .  to the full open position. The popping up is more due to the tightness of the seat hinge. When fully closed  it is tight and when the latches releases it just naturally moves up just a little. It doesn't act like a car's hood, that jumps up enough to get your fingers on the safety latch.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 02:26:43 AM »
Adjust the cables by pushing the cable sleeve  Back from the latch
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 11:26:31 AM »
What Mac said. I have had two DT300i's and they both pop up. So yours need that touch!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 01:32:23 PM »
Mine 'pops' up ocassionally. Then again, sometimes it does not (but it still opens). Other times it doesn't pop up AND it doesn't open and I have to turn the key and lift the seat up at the same time. Naturally, those are the times when I have an armful of stuff.

With regard to adjusting/lubricating the seat catch cable, I only use the short cable to release the seat (the long one having snapped some months ago). Even then, adjusting it via the little hatch is a pain in the arse. A far better idea is to check the cable everytime you take the seat tub off. You have you put the seat back on temporarily, but it's far easier. With a little practice, you'll have the seat and tub off in a couple of minutes.

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 08:59:06 PM »
I'm with Snorvey: I fiddled and lubed the latches with the "bucket" removed, and it is mostly OK but I'm anal about everything mechanical so I want the seat to pop up every time I open it. I realize that the rod thingy does not push the seat up because it lies parallel to the seat when it's closed so it can't push up from that position.

How about a small compression spring, or foam, attached to the end of the seat, or the opening, to give it a goose upwards?
2009 GV 250

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2017, 05:56:41 PM »
P.S. After a sleepless night I solved my problem: I removed the port side (left) locking bracket from the seat, thereby functionally eliminating the left latch. Having two latches cable-controlled by one switch is a design mistake, something I learned from years of trying keep Model A Ford brakes adjusted. Why two latches, any way? If one is good, two must be better, right?

Now to get my hands on the designer of that saddle. He needs to be sterilized, at the very least.

If not for this forum, I'd be riding and wrenching on Hondas or Yamahas. Thanks for all your help, guys, it is appreciated.

Stu
2009 GV 250

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2017, 12:15:58 AM »
P.S. After a sleepless night I solved my problem: I removed the port side (left) locking bracket from the seat, thereby functionally eliminating the left latch. Having two latches cable-controlled by one switch is a design mistake, something I learned from years of trying keep Model A Ford brakes adjusted. Why two latches, any way? If one is good, two must be better, right?

Now to get my hands on the designer of that saddle. He needs to be sterilized, at the very least.

If not for this forum, I'd be riding and wrenching on Hondas or Yamahas. Thanks for all your help, guys, it is appreciated.

Stu
  be nice he dont know better!!!!    she,s a girl, no wedgeess

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()