Author Topic: Downsizing  (Read 1357 times)

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
Downsizing
« on: September 28, 2017, 04:51:16 PM »
After riding my SW to town yesterday to run to the bank and check out a job, I realized that my SW is the perfect scooter for me and like it more than any bike or scooter I have ever owned. The aftermarket Saddleman seat is extremely comfortable, has a perfect fit for my height and body size, has Goldwing like storage and is equally adept at putting around town or running at highway speeds on state highways. I find myself using the SW nearly all the time as the BW isn't being ridden as much. My SW is a keeper and will be my primary ride into my golden years. My wife has also hoped for a horse forever as we've been clearing a pasture and soon to fence off a section for a horse. So I told Deb I was going to sell the BW and use the funds for a horse for her. Being the pragmatic soul she is, she said not until you get a hearing aid. Dang aging thang.

2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
Re: Downsizing
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 04:24:54 AM »
Dan, I can identify with the hearing aid part. My wife, Pat is always on my case to get one. I tell her, I already have to many props holding me up. I hear all I need to hear and some times too much.. Also the part about the SW. If I could have only one bike, it would be a SW., but for now the Kymco DT and the old Shadow will have to do. As for the horse, er, ah,, I don't ride nuttin  what don't have a kill switch.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 11:56:29 AM »
My theory is that the female hearing gets more and more acute...the older I get.

however, I do wish I'd not ridden a couple of years without the ear plugs I always use now....
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 04:16:41 PM »
My hearing is also shot, but not from the scooter - from 32 years of being in front of concert and jazz bands. Marching percussion also hammers the daylights out of your ears as well. Nice thing, though, is I can't hear that annoying high-pitched beeping from the car when I don't have the seat belt on. (The only way I know this is my wife hears it, and tells me to put it on before she goes crazy.)
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 12:56:21 AM »
Lost mine as a carpenter with the percussion of a framing gun and my circular saw. Geez I hate spending money those things. Maybe I'll appreciate them once I can hear again. No doubt the first thing I'll probably say is why did I wait so long?
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 04:38:52 PM »
Lost mine as a carpenter with the percussion of a framing gun and my circular saw.
Yeah, the framing gun will be just like a row of snare drums, and there are many similarities between a circular saw and a sax section  ;D ::) :P
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 09:18:02 PM »
Hearing aids aren't cheap. My mom just replaced her, over $5k! I heard today's hearing aids will be history before long with a better device at a fraction of the cost according to my mom's doctor.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 12:43:32 AM »

After riding my SW to town yesterday to run to the bank and check out a job, I realized that my SW is the perfect scooter for me and like it more than any bike or scooter I have ever owned. The aftermarket Saddleman seat is extremely comfortable, has a perfect fit for my height and body size, has Goldwing like storage and is equally adept at putting around town or running at highway speeds on state highways. I find myself using the SW nearly all the time as the BW isn't being ridden as much. My SW is a keeper and will be my primary ride into my golden years. My wife has also hoped for a horse forever as we've been clearing a pasture and soon to fence off a section for a horse. So I told Deb I was going to sell the BW and use the funds for a horse for her. Being the pragmatic soul she is, she said not until you get a hearing aid. Dang aging thang.

Buy a horse with extra good hearing, sell the BW and then take her out to dinner on the Wing.
Some would charge good $ for this advice.
Would make a good Lifetime Movie on the womens network.
S. Page said, also, "Don't look back...but even better if you can't hear 'em coming."

As for downsizing: I'm the posterboy. Burgman 400 sold for a 155cc Piaggio......and loving it. No buyer's remorse, or seller's remorse.

Stig

« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 12:49:16 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 01:30:23 AM »
  I blamed my hearing loss on the lancaster with 4 merlin engines, then top it off with 3 years working on the line with F 86 jets, they can hit 150 desables, ???spelling lousy, must be over the hill,.  my scooter runs quiet, to me,

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 02:23:26 AM »
Were you in the Royal Air Force? My dad was a top turret gunner and engineer on a B24D, with the 449th based in Italy. The Merlins were inline and the 24's had Pratt & Whitney's that were radial. Both good war birds, in their day.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 04:41:33 AM »
Were you in the Royal Air Force? My dad was a top turret gunner and engineer on a B24D, with the 449th based in Italy. The Merlins were inline and the 24's had Pratt & Whitney's that were radial. Both good war birds, in their day.
  I was in the royal canadian air force,, 408 photo.  Sqad.  they flew lancasters bombers cansos flying boats , and norsmans bush planes,  photografting northern canada, coast to coast,  to the artic  sea, I carved my initials on the north pole, magnetic, pole Alert base  was north of there, 
  transfered to Ferry Sqad. OFU sqad. ferrying saber jets over seas  UK.  FRANCE, GERMANY, GREECE,  DID NOT SEE MUCH OVER THERE NO MONEY, to eat sleep off base,  pay at that time was $ 75,00 month, with board & room & clothing ,. 

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 05:23:54 AM »
Great. I love WW2 aircraft. Have a lot of models of them hanging in my man cave. I built a 1:48 scale of my dad's B24D with no.1 feathered and trailing oil and the right wing landing gear shot up and there is a ME109 right behind. Those guys had a rough job. Any of those crewmen who made it home were blessed. Those F86,s really gave those migs hell over Korea. The other side liked to use 20 and 37mm cannons, but those 50 cal.s in the noise of the Sabers made believers out of 'em. Thanks for you service on our side.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()