Author Topic: Installed new exhaust - how do I jet this thing?  (Read 2637 times)

crunchyshadow

• View Profile
Installed new exhaust - how do I jet this thing?
« on: September 25, 2017, 04:40:08 AM »
Hey Kymco riders! I just installed this pipe on my Kymco vitality 2t 50.

http://www.racingplanetusa.com/exhaust-tecnigas-next-chrome-kymco-horizontal-p-760-1.html?backcPathco=1&cPath=2_14#.WciG18iGO70

Awesome sound but according to my local scooter shop it's required to adjust my jet on my carburetor. I opened and took apart my carburetor and cleaned the outside for a start (it was black haha) but I noticed some little specs in the carburetor. So I have these questions 1. How can I clean the interior of my carburetor? 2. Do I need to change my jet or simply adjust it? 3. If I need to adjust/change the jet, how do I do so? What sounds am I looking for? 

Thanks in advance :)

big blue

• View Profile
Re: Installed new exhaust - how do I jet this thing?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 04:18:38 PM »
For cleaning check out this video.
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

eamartin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 05:17:33 PM »
Hey Kymco riders! I just installed this pipe on my Kymco vitality 2t 50.

http://www.racingplanetusa.com/exhaust-tecnigas-next-chrome-kymco-horizontal-p-760-1.html?backcPathco=1&cPath=2_14#.WciG18iGO70

Awesome sound but according to my local scooter shop it's required to adjust my jet on my carburetor. I opened and took apart my carburetor and cleaned the outside for a start (it was black haha) but I noticed some little specs in the carburetor. So I have these questions 1. How can I clean the interior of my carburetor? 2. Do I need to change my jet or simply adjust it? 3. If I need to adjust/change the jet, how do I do so? What sounds am I looking for? 

Thanks in advance :)
Carb jets are not adjustable.  A carb jet has a passage in the center through which fuel flows (larger hole, more gas; smaller hole, less gas).  You may need to install a different size main jet to match the needs of the new exhaust. 

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 10:51:35 PM »
After installing new jet you will need to do spark plug "chops" or visual readings of the plug after a good test run. What you want is a plug that has a slight tan or grey electrode NOT white or black. White is too lean black is too rich.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 10:57:57 PM by big blue »
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 12:42:44 AM »
You will need a larger jet. Running the scooter with a too lean condition is not a good thing.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

crunchyshadow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 10:05:47 PM »
After installing new jet you will need to do spark plug "chops" or visual readings of the plug after a good test run. What you want is a plug that has a slight tan or grey electrode NOT white or black. White is too lean black is too rich.

Hey I did the spark plug test and the spark was chocolate colour and I asked my scooter shop and they said that's okay, although my spark plug had black all around it's head. is that a problem?

eamartin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 02:46:36 AM »
http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Plug_chop

Read this info on how to do a plug chop.

How does your scoot run with the new exhaust compared to the way it ran before?

crunchyshadow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 12:19:00 AM »

Well for one, my acceleration/takeoff is sh** now but I have lots of power (more than before) going up hills once I get enough speed. But like I said my takeoff is unbearable.

crunchyshadow

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 12:21:53 AM »

Also it seems that I am running too rich, I'll have to figure out how to arrange that as well

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()