Author Topic: Met in light.  (Read 3785 times)

GBBBiker

• View Profile
Met in light.
« on: September 24, 2017, 03:38:02 PM »
Met in light remains on when seat is closed and latched. Pushed down on back of seat did not help. >:( Is ther e a way to adjust or disconnect the light?

Snorvey

• View Profile
Re: Met in light.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 04:58:08 PM »
Lift the seat, remove the seat tub and you'll see the electrical switches for the seat locks. I still have mine connected, but they are pretty pointless because I always check manually if my seat is locked - I only have the L/H seat lock as well - the R/H lock is unreliable in my opinion and may fail to unlock, leaving you stranded if your helmet is stowed under the seat. (as I discovered to my immense irritation)

I have also disconnected the underseat light*. It's to weak to be of any use and you're never quite sure that it goes out when you close the seat, risking draining your battery.

*Make sure the redundant cable is tied safely away and I encased the connector in electrical insulating tape.

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 05:58:39 PM »
As Snorvey said, I just removed the lamp (bulb) put some electrical tape over the socket and re-inserted it in it's hole. That light is useless, especially mount so low in the tub. It's not worth the problems that it could cause.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 08:20:15 PM »
Me, the ever brilliant one, ADDED an LED light assembly so I could actually SEE something if needed. Like what the others said  disconnect the light. You can use the switches in the latches to tell if your seat is not latched if you trust the system to let you back in.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 07:11:52 AM »
If one day the cables were to fail and the seat wont open up, what can I do to get it open do I can retrieve my helmet to ride home?
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 10:21:08 AM »
The day, kneeslider, will come like it did with me on my first DT300i (RIP). Old guys take longer to get in position than to unlatch! Turn bars to right, get on ground in front on machine right, look up at back of ign. switch, grab cable housing on bottom of switch and pull to machine left. A few yanks should pop the seat open.

Do what it takes to lube the whole cable assembly NOW before every inch gets wet and rusty. I must follow my own advice!

Karl
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 10:59:35 AM »
If one day the cables were to fail and the seat wont open up, what can I do to get it open do I can retrieve my helmet to ride home?

Let me answer this if I may.

If the distance is less than 2 miles, you walk home to get another helmet, cursing like a drunken sailor.

If it's more than 2 miles it's different. You take a cab (or the bus) instead.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 12:58:04 PM »
Yeah, with a BROKEN cable, all bets are off!

Karl
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 02:25:12 PM »
OR, in my case, put your helmet in the trunk. I rarely open my seat. The only thing in the tub is my tool kit. Opening the seat on my DT requires removing the back rest, bar-b-q grill with the saddle bags attached. That only takes about a minute. My bags contain what would normally go under the seat.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 03:05:45 AM »
On the left side of the seat bucket there is cover called 'seat cable maint'. Underneath you can adjust the tension of the seat cables by turning the 2 nuts so they move further apart.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2017, 04:31:01 PM »
My house is out in the boondocks, so even the nearest store / area which I frequent is 7kms away. Work is 40kms away. Guess if the seat refuses to open, I am royally screwed.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

Ernst

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 11:39:00 AM »
I have Insurance with Progressive Insurance Co.
It includes Towing at no additional cost.
Also to share another aspect of the policy I also have the over 150 miles from home they pay for room and board while the Scooter is fixed. I will have to review just how that works but I remember it is very generous.

On my People S 250 I will be looking at the scenario soon.  Gawd that would suck.

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 09:14:59 PM »
Has anyone disabled the seat latches and the met-in light entirely and not worried about locking the seat? I use my 45 liter lockable top box for 90% of my stuff anyway; the problems with a stuck seat are just not worth the worry and trouble if and when the seat won't open...so I am considering removing the seat latches. Many of the mopeds and scooters I've owned didn't have seat locks so I used a separate helmet lock. Who is going to lift and look under the seat anyway? How about a "Beware of vicious dog" sticker on the seat, just in case....
2009 GV 250

scrollderf

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2017, 03:41:01 AM »
To Stuo: Yes, I disabled the seat latches and the light. I don't have the DT anymore, so my memory may be a bit off, but what I did was remove the latches from the seat (now no security for the area), then using a screwdriver, I had the catches move to the engaged position. This turned off the dash met in light. I also unplugged the underseat light as I found it useless. Hope this works. Did this after the release refused to release one time and I got scared I would someday be caught with an un-openable seat area.
Formerly 03 AA500 now DT300

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2017, 06:54:04 AM »
After my seat refused to open, I have looped a plastic zip tie around the lock catch so that in an emergency I can unlock the seat if required. It's well hidden behind the side panel (and needs a fair bit of groping around to actually find it), but it's my 'get out of jail card'

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()