Author Topic: What's the best battery for a good price?  (Read 1286 times)

Johnpiper46

• View Profile
What's the best battery for a good price?
« on: September 23, 2017, 04:47:23 PM »
My scooter needs a new battery, can some one advise me towards the best battery in terms of holding its charge etc

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
Re: What's the best battery for a good price?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 11:24:32 PM »
YUASA makes some very good batteries. Not the cheapest, but they will save you money in the long run. You cant go wrong buying one.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Johnpiper46

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 11:44:17 PM »
Thanks Paul, have looked at them there a Japanese make so like you said I should be okay

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 12:51:35 AM »
You're more than welcome John. There are probably better, more expensive batteries out there, but in my opinion YUASA is the best value on a reliable battery. I use them and am very happy with them.  :)
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Johnpiper46

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 02:30:37 PM »
Is it ytx 7a or ytx5l? What's the difference

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 08:38:04 PM »
The WTX 7a has more cranking amps and according to the YUASA battery finder it is the correct one for your model. Please check and verify here;

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/vehicle_search.php?action=showListing

They can be had for around 50 bucks online. Best of luck to ya!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 08:42:10 PM by Mr. Paul »
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 11:19:13 PM »
Well heck.
My old SLA (flooded) made in china battery I got from a local outfit lasted about 6 years with consistent tender use, then shorted with a snap.
When it died I replaced it pretty much the same as everyone else says.  A dry cell (when purchased) YUASA AGM.  I get 'em from YUASA off Amazon.
Never had a problem with 'em oldest one I have right now is a couple years old.  It replaced a one year old generic AGM that spent at least part of it's life off a tender.  Same with the ~1 year old one.

Getting the dry battery is a good thing.  You do have to add the acid (be careful), let it sit for an hour or two (really..let it sit before charging) then charge it (read directions) at ~1-2amps or less depending on battery, but you will have an absolutely fresh battery when you install it.

Far as more CCA goes.  more CCA (or CA etc) is better, but fitting it in your allotted battery space is even better.  Personally I've just stuck with the factory/YUASA recommended sizes.
No real problems, & I didn't have to spend time with spec sheets looking at battery dimensions.

If you do go with one of the cheap outfits (~1/2 the cost) read the reviews, & make sure they have a good rep for honoring their warranty.  They will usually send a wet battery, which could have been on the shelf for who knows how long, from a company that's all about cost.  You very honestly could (and eventually will) get an acceptable battery, but you may end up using the warranty a couple times.  Those outfits realize this and it's built into the price..double check who pays shipping on warranty.

Or ya could do what I did with my recently popped SLA & use a reputable local outfit (read their warranty some outfits give ya nothing on bike batteries).  Drawback there is it cost about the same as the YUASA AGM, but I did need it that day.  No real complaints..6 years on a motorcycle battery is actually pretty good.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

augiewrslr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 03:03:40 PM »
So, I am not sure if it is a good battery. In fact, I doubt it is, but I got a battery for $22.60 that works. At that price, Id rather replace it every now and again.  https://batteryrush.com/kymco-50cc-super-8-2009-2012-battery/

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 11:30:38 PM »
So, I am not sure if it is a good battery. In fact, I doubt it is, but I got a battery for $22.60 that works. At that price, Id rather replace it every now and again.  https://batteryrush.com/kymco-50cc-super-8-2009-2012-battery/

I completely understand your desire to go cheap. But usually the cheap price on the front end will cost you later. I have learned this many times the hard way. :-[ Remember, it is smart to learn from your mistakes. It is wise to learn from someone elses' .
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Johnpiper46

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 10:39:59 PM »
In the end I went for a yuasa battery, wasn't badly priced at 35 quid including shipping just waiting for it to come now thanks guys

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 12:38:15 AM »
I think you'll be happy with the new battery John. Be safe out there and good riding to you sir!
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2017, 12:01:43 AM »
Should do fine, just make sure ya read the instructions through & follow 'em.
There are a couple finicky points, but get those right and you're golden.
Also, if you don't have a tender and go more than a few days without riding at stretches you may want to consider one.

Cheers
Tromper
In the end I went for a yuasa battery, wasn't badly priced at 35 quid including shipping just waiting for it to come now thanks guys
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()