Author Topic: First Serv. VALVES on a 2018 Piaggio Liberty  (Read 2719 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
First Serv. VALVES on a 2018 Piaggio Liberty
« on: September 21, 2017, 03:04:25 PM »
Yesterday completed another first service item: valve clearance check.

Scooter sat over night - engine must be stone cold.
If you waited while dealer did your valves - he didn't do them on a cold engine.

Tools I used:
Torx driver from tool kit > seat bucket & front center panel. removal
8mm T-wrench > 3 valve cover bolts
8mm 1/4" drive socket on small ratchet > the hard to reach 4th valve cover bolt
wire cutters > clip off hose clamp
.10mm feeler blade > check valve clearance
19mm socket > turn the engine to timing mark
flashlight
dab of grease > keep 0-ring in valve cover for re-install

My steps:
Chock front tire & bands on fr. brake lever - secures scooter.
I removed lower shock mount - to slightly raise front of engine. It helped get to that 4th bolt, some.

remove seat bucket and front center panel (panel lifts up and forward - tabs-in-slot) See owner's manual for photos.

cut rear clip off of breather hose from valve cover - valve cover cannot be moved away with this hose still attached back there.

remove black cover over front CVT bolt - turn engine here for timing mark

remove spark plug cap, push hoses out of way, pull off the breather hose from its rear attach point

use 8mm T-wrench to loosen 3 valve cover bolts, and 8mm 1/4" drive socket and shorty ratchet to loosen the lower/right 4th bolt. Patience here! There IS room to do this with that hard-to-reach bolt!

remove valve cover

rotate CVT nut clockwise to bring timing marks together. CHECK that there IS movement of the rocker arms once aligned. If NO movement rotate again until timing marks re-align AND you can feel movement.

check gap with .10mm feeler blade. Large blades will not work due to tight space to work. My 3 valves checked spot-on.

If your valves need adjusting - see the many utube videos on adjusting GY6 scooter valves w/screw & lock nuts.

I added a dab of bearing grease to a few points around the 0-ring grove of valve cover to keep the 0-ring in place while re-installing valve cove. Pay attention to the 0-ring seal on spark plug hole as well - keep it in place when replacing valve cover. Snug the 4 bolts slowly, in lug-nut rotation fashion (clock face - 11 / 5, then 2 / 7, etc.) Use very low torque when tightening these little bolts. I do hand snug and STOP! Personally,  do not trust torque wrenches for such small fasteners.
Reattach the breather hose - use a new clip or zip tie it. It is jammed in there so tight on the tube - I didn't mess with a clip.

Replace rear shock bolt, if you undid it.

I ran the engine for a time - then checked under for oil leaks. Let it cool and felt around & under the valve cover for any sign of oil leaks. Nothing - then I replaced the panel, seat bucket.

First time into the valves on this scooter - so took a few hours working slowly and carefully. My Kymco LIKE200i is SO much easier to do the valve check. SO much more room to work than this little Piaggio. Robot does this engine OUT of the scooter ---- not at all a fair representation of the things in your way, and spaces to work.

Manual says valve check due again at 6,200 miles. I will do them every 3,000 miles, now that I'm familiar with this scooter.

Stig
« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 08:12:19 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
Re: First Serv. VALVES on a 2018 Piaggio Liberty
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 04:00:38 PM »
You are a master of photography.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 11:32:06 PM »
Yes, he is Mac! Micro, macro and art. Didja see those rollers for cam followers? Ya gotta have a Kymco 300i to get rollers! Good presentation, Tom! I could do a Piaggio blindfolded, now! Har, har!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 11:45:23 AM »
Honda guy told me that when you get the pointer on chain sprocket lined up....you will always be in the right piston position...."no need" to check for rocker arm movement. Also, only "need to get close" to timing marks...."not that critical"
I figure just as easy to get spot on, as to get close....so will do so, and will continue to check for rocker arm movement - just won't tell anyone I did so.
:-)
what do i know....
Stig
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 06:56:36 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 03:56:56 PM »
I would take issue with the "almost close" statement...
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()