Author Topic: City. Country. Danger in-between  (Read 1133 times)

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
City. Country. Danger in-between
« on: September 19, 2017, 03:03:56 AM »
When I commute to work to an urban center, I'm pretty focused on the job off trying to take in all around me. On long rides through back roads it's the hidden dangers I'm trying to manage -- what's over the hill, around the corner, or what many dash out of the woods.

I think the most dangerous roads to ride on are the ones we're too familiar with - our home town and surrounding communities. Coming back from my bank today I was riding through my town's main street. I'm going on a long trip on Wednesday so my mind was preoccupied with thoughts of packing, and last minute to-do items. There was a light up ahead, and seeing my lane clear I didn't pay much attention to the vehicles stopped at a cross walk in the oncoming lane. As I was about to pass I noticed a kid on his bike dashing over the crosswalk. My hands moved to my brakes and horn, but I saw the timing was on my side and I was past the crosswalk before he had reached my side of the street.

Still, the faux heart attack that went along with that 'oh sh**' moment rattled me all the way home. It was a harsh reminder of the dangers of being too complacent in familiar surrounding.

If anyone has had these moments I look at them as jarring, but educational reminders. Anyone have similar experiences?

- Wolf

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: City. Country. Danger in-between
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 10:44:13 AM »
Sure.
Watching for deer ahead on empty county road....and senior with Pastor plates on his Angel white Accord overtakes me in my lane!
Good thing I don't have mirror extenders!....he'd of collected me.
Seniors are more unpredictable than deer.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 02:24:32 PM »
HEY!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 04:43:59 PM »
Sure.
Watching for deer ahead on empty county road....and senior with Pastor plates on his Angel white Accord overtakes me in my lane!
Good thing I don't have mirror extenders!....he'd of collected me.
Seniors are more unpredictable than deer.
Stig
  are we senior yet ?????    young at heart   de dee

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 04:44:16 PM »
Yeal, Tom, lighten up on us old farts, you'll be there soon, my boy. As to what scooterWolf said about the most dangerous roads being the ones we are the most familiar with, couldn't be more true. Reminds me of the old saying, "familiarity breeds contempt.", but I've learned over the years, not to let what happened to me at one intersection follow me to the next one or I might get into a mess there because my mind was still back at the one before. Does that make sense to anyone? One thing I've learned about getting older is that I like to sight see more as I ride and I have to fight against that in some areas, such as in high traffic . Staying alert and focused is the key to survival.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 07:10:46 PM »
OK, OK --- calm down ! There's a big difference between us veteran players....and those ancient seniors who are never tested off the roads in our country. Here, a driver's license is a human right rather than an earned privilege.
My mom, bless her, is one of the few seniors I've known  who hung up her keys & gave her car away. Walking and taking the bus more.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 03:09:00 AM »
Here, a driver's license is a human right rather than an earned privilege.

What country is that?
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 07:21:01 PM »
MJR, Stig is talking about the US of A. Many here are brain laundered that driving is a priviledge but it is a right! Where freedom is supposed to reign, transport or travel is to be unrestricted, regardless of method or means. Both the vehicle and operator "license" is nothing more than another tax. Revenue generation.

Karl

Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()