Author Topic: First Service the Piaggio  (Read 2703 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
First Service the Piaggio
« on: September 18, 2017, 11:22:23 PM »
For the scooter nerds out there - pictures of an oil change.

Reached 600 miles today - and got started with the first service.
Oil & filter change today....then valves & other specified items soon.
Taking my time learning this new scooter.

Tools used : incl. a shorty 24mm socket to fit under the exhaust pipe.  Allen wrench for final tightening of new filter - channel locks to break loose factory installed filte.

Prefilter removed with needle nose pliers.,

Will shop for & use a suitable strap wrench for the filter, next time.

Rinsed the screen (no metal in there) in gas, oiled the three 0-Rings.

Cleaned up and snugged up.
Add the  5W-40 Belray (careful - the bottles are 1000ml - NOT a Qt.!)

Lessons learned with this new to me scooter:  allen wrench didn't work for me for filter removal. Holds more oil than my Kymco - so needed bigger pan. Over-filled due to misreading the Belray bottle. (took awhile to find suitable siphon device - less than 1/4" over on the stick - but was NOT going to leave my new scooter over-filled by any amount)

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
Re: First Service the Piaggio
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 02:10:41 AM »
Do you check the oil with dip stick screwed in or out?
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 02:14:31 AM »

Well you check the level with it out but you screw it in all the way to get a proper reading.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 10:20:20 AM »
Well you check the level with it out but you screw it in all the way to get a proper reading.
MJ,
That's the kind of stuff that will get you short-sheeted in the barracks! ;-)
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 10:35:09 AM »
Yeah, you screw it in.
My confusion started with the manual giving the fill amount in a figure I'd not seen before. I  think it was cubic inches ?? or cubic ounces ??
Then went to google to convert to qts....which lead to cardinal sin - overfill with litre bottle of Belray - WTH ?
Then I  find a gently canted fill neck with a straw sized hole in the recess - this is going to lead to oil running onto my newspaper!
The weirdo shape of the oil filter was frosting, too. Italians still P O'd about WWII I  guess. Manual says, "oil change ?- take it to authorized dealer"
Sure.

Lotsofun.
Called it a day - saving valves for next adventure.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 04:23:14 PM »
Tom, when I come to an engine that I don't know the correct fill cap. I check the oil level before I drain and then use a bucket that has a quart measurement on the side and I put back the same amount of oil that I drained out, plus filter. Then I run the engine , shut it off and wait 3 or 4 minutes and check the level and top off if necessary. What you said MJR is a bit confusing. The stick must either be threaded in all the way OR pushed in all the way to get the correct level. That information should be in the owner's manual and it is some times written on the dip stick, itself. A lot of Honda's have it on the stick, as well as in the owners's manual. Not doing it correctly can amount to as much as 1/4 inch difference on the stick. If ya'll get tired of my "Know-It-Allness" Let me know and I'll just read. (LOL)
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 05:32:13 PM »
Tom, when I come to an engine that I don't know the correct fill cap. I check the oil level before I drain and then use a bucket that has a quart measurement on the side and I put back the same amount of oil that I drained out, plus filter. Then I run the engine , shut it off and wait 3 or 4 minutes and check the level and top off if necessary. What you said MJR is a bit confusing. The stick must either be threaded in all the way OR pushed in all the way to get the correct level. That information should be in the owner's manual and it is some times written on the dip stick, itself. A lot of Honda's have it on the stick, as well as in the owners's manual. Not doing it correctly can amount to as much as 1/4 inch difference on the stick. If ya'll get tired of my "Know-It-Allness" Let me know and I'll just read. (LOL)
Yep, I  planned to carefully measure what came out....but :
1) couldn't get measuring cup under drain
2) drain pan I grabbed was about to overflow!
Lessons learned.
MJ was joking....can't check level with stick still screwed in....unless you're Super Man;-)

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
Re: First Service the Piaggio BV350 SPORT BY ME
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 10:33:51 PM »
CHECKED THE MANUAL   1.5 Lt.     ADDED  TUNGSTEN DISULFIDE ---LIKE YAGER 200---   1 TEASPOON LEVEL,.  PORED 1.4 OIL IN CONTAINER ADD DISULFIDE,   WILL CHECK OIL LEVEL AFTER RUNNING ENGINE, FOUND OIL LEVEL WAS GOOD ,.  then took it for a ride , before supper,   100 Km. and the engine is a lot smoother, kept up with HW. cars for awhile ,  at 140 Kmh.  positive cut-off at 85 MPH.IT HOLDS SPEED UP HILL ,at 140 Km   .oil change milage 3269 Km. ( 2000 ) miles Km.  now 3380.       going for a after dinner ride   
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 10:36:40 PM by de dee »

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 03:24:12 AM »
What you said MJR is a bit confusing. The stick must either be threaded in all the way OR pushed in all the way to get the correct level. That information should be in the owner's manual and it is some times written on the dip stick, itself. A lot of Honda's have it on the stick, as well as in the owners's manual. Not doing it correctly can amount to as much as 1/4 inch difference on the stick. If ya'll get tired of my "Know-It-Allness" Let me know and I'll just read. (LOL)

I'm not aware of a scew in dipstick that you check the level without screwing it in. All cars I've had you screw the PS cap on then unscrew it to check the level. I can't speak to Stig's Liberty per se but it's quite clear in my Aprilia (part of Piaggio) Atlantic manual for both the engine oil and transmission/final drive oil to fully screw in the dipstick to get the proper reading. Now if you know there is a .25" difference in where it reads on the dipstick between screwing it in and just putting it in without screwing it in that one could estimate the level by filling .25" below full. My reply was a bit of a joke that you have to pull the dip stick out to read it but have to screw it in to get a proper reading.

I so like having a sight glass on my other bikes.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 03:30:52 AM by MJR »
'14 White MyRoad 700i

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 04:51:46 AM »
I got you MJR. You meant, unscrew it, pull it out, wipe it off and then screw it back in and then screw it back out to read it. OK. I'm a little dense some times. I have a Honda FourTrax that says right on the plastic dip stick. "Do not thread in to check.", but at any rate the owner's manual will tell you how it should be done
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 05:52:40 AM »
  I don't bother screwing it in , I look at the thread it is 3/8 inch, that's where I check the dip stick 3/8 from the full mark,. 

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2017, 10:27:06 AM »
My LIKE200i has a screw in dipstick, that you are supposed to check without screwing in.
I think......
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 04:56:15 PM »
I hate to wear a , no big deal issue out MJR, but I did a little research on the dip stick thingie. Every ATV sold in America says do not thread in the check, except Polaris. 90% of the dirt bikes say  the same. Not trying to be a dip stick, myself, just trying to justify why I asked the question to begin with.
My Harley had two full level marks on it's stick. One for side stand and one for upright and all HD's are push in all the way, no threads. This one way I learn. A young man corrected me concerning the location of the air jet on a CV carb. here on this forum, so I read up on it, he was right. Another lesson learned and for that, I say thank you.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2017, 12:31:59 AM »
I hate to wear a , no big deal issue out MJR, but I did a little research on the dip stick thingie. Every ATV sold in America says do not thread in the check, except Polaris. 90% of the dirt bikes say  the same. Not trying to be a dip stick, myself, just trying to justify why I asked the question to begin with.
My Harley had two full level marks on it's stick. One for side stand and one for upright and all HD's are push in all the way, no threads. This one way I learn. A young man corrected me concerning the location of the air jet on a CV carb. here on this forum, so I read up on it, he was right. Another lesson learned and for that, I say thank you.

Never owned any of those so I'm not aware of them but ok. I hate dipsticks on bikes, sight glasses are much nicer. :-) I really wish my Aprilia had a sight glass.
'14 White MyRoad 700i

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2017, 01:55:00 AM »
The glass certainly makes it easier and no mess. What you see is what you got.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()