Author Topic: TRIMMING DOWN MY WINDSHIELD TO MEET WITH MY NOSE :)  (Read 2688 times)

Nireen

• View Profile
TRIMMING DOWN MY WINDSHIELD TO MEET WITH MY NOSE :)
« on: September 16, 2017, 08:04:35 PM »
 I don't know if I can do this but I want to trim of a couple of inches from my windshield so that if it rains I can see over it!  As of now I can't and it is not good! Can this be done safely without the shield breaking apart?
Kat :)

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
Re: TRIMMING DOWN MY WINDSHIELD TO MEET WITH MY NOSE :)
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 12:29:18 AM »
I think there was a member who did trim his down, though I'm not sure if it was here, or on another forum. it also may affect your insurance (if they know).

- Wolf

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 01:00:24 AM »

it was on this forum Wolf,.  and I will do that on my new wind-shield that is even with the top of my helmet,. went out for a short ride tonite after dark,  OI-OI-OI-THE BUGS ,   could hardly see past the wind-shield  with all the bugs on it, first time it was pitch black  dark,,on this scooter,. it is over-cast pitch black,.   and the head-lites are very good on the Piaggio BV350 low beam and high beam,.  no matter how good this scooter is I still like my downtown,  hope it gets fixed soon,

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 05:29:41 AM »
I doubt it would affect insurance.  I am afraid it will crack the whole shield.  I had one shield I had cut and it ruined the whole thing! It is a real pain to drive if it rain's with it as it is now.

I think there was a member who did trim his down, though I'm not sure if it was here, or on another forum. it also may affect your insurance (if they know).

- Wolf

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 07:09:48 AM »
Yes it can be done Nireen.
There are a few dozen youtube vids about it, & a few ways you can do it.  Mostly measure twice, cut once, & tape the area you're cutting for a few different reasons.

How I'd approach it would depend on the windscreen.   So far I've avoided the necessity of doing it, but if I really had no other options I wouldn't hesitate.
Worst case scenario..you destroy the screen and end up buying one in a better size.

2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 11:11:14 AM »
There is no other option for screen is there?  I have the touring screen which is 3 inches to high.

quote author=Tromper link=topic=25098.msg178848#msg178848 date=1505632188]
Yes it can be done Nireen.
There are a few dozen youtube vids about it, & a few ways you can do it.  Mostly measure twice, cut once, & tape the area you're cutting for a few different reasons.

How I'd approach it would depend on the windscreen.   So far I've avoided the necessity of doing it, but if I really had no other options I wouldn't hesitate.
Worst case scenario..you destroy the screen and end up buying one in a better size.
[/quote]

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 02:59:30 AM »
I'm not sure Nireen,
I know there are a couple out there vaguely but since I don't have, & never have had  DT300 I really haven't looked into it too extensively.
I know there was a real tall Biondi, the stock one, & a Givi.  Of these the Givi still looks to be available.
https://www.giviusa.com/my-motorcycle/kymco/downtown-125i-300i/d294st-windshield-detail

Honestly not sure on all the measurements or if you can just use a shorter one and a laminar lip or something.

Far as cutting it down, & how, I'd be inclined to measure twice then mark it, take it off, clamp it down, tape it mark it and use a dremel.  The sawzall version's quicker, but I don't have one, & control might be an issue depending on skill level.  The person who used a jigsaw (hand held) with it on the bike did OK, but it was a thicker screen (no idea what you really have) so it was pretty stiff..

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 05:01:39 AM »
YES this is the shield I have on now and it is to tall by about 3 to 4 inches.  I am told not to use JigSaw!  It may shatter it.  A guy tells me here who I very much trust to use a heated knife of some sort.  I don't know what this is but it is suppose to melt it of more than cut at it.  Much less harsh in removing it.  He will help me I think do this.  He is a mechanic here. :)

I'm not sure Nireen,
I know there are a couple out there vaguely but since I don't have, & never have had  DT300 I really haven't looked into it too extensively.

I know there was a real tall Biondi, the stock one, & a Givi.  Of these the Givi still looks to be available.
https://www.giviusa.com/my-motorcycle/kymco/downtown-125i-300i/d294st-windshield-detail

Honestly not sure on all the measurements or if you can just use a shorter one and a laminar lip or something.

Far as cutting it down, & how, I'd be inclined to measure twice then mark it, take it off, clamp it down, tape it mark it and use a dremel.  The sawzall version's quicker, but I don't have one, & control might be an issue depending on skill level.  The person who used a jigsaw (hand held) with it on the bike did OK, but it was a thicker screen (no idea what you really have) so it was pretty stiff..

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 12:17:55 PM »
  Our local plastic supplier  use a hot wire,  canus equiptment Co.,  the trick in using a jig saw is to keep the shield tight so it does not vibrate, and use a new fine tooth blade,  wish me luck when I cut my shield,  don goulet  de dee for 82 years, how old is your nick name???   

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 04:08:08 PM »
Hi Kat. I have modified several wind screens with good luck. Here is how I did it. Main thing is NEVER try to cut a wind screen when it's cold. Should be at least room temp. I use a Dremel rotatory  tool with a fine tooth , thin round saw blade. First I draw a line where I want to cut, with a fine point Sharpie. Second, I turn the Dremel up to full speed and grip it with both hands and rest my hands on the lower part of the screen. I cut from left to right, because I'm right handed. The trick is to hold the cutting tool very very steady and cut a section until I see the plastic starting to melt. Then withdraw the tool and let is cool and break off the residual , AFTER it's cooled and hardened. (If you touch the hot plastic it will stick to you fingers and burn you) Repeat these steps all the way across. Be sure to follow your line as closely as possible. Then third, using a hot iron, such as one found in a wood burning kit, run it over the fresh cut just enough to smooth the surface and then finish up with some fine sand paper. This method has worked well for me.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 01:43:57 AM »
Or if all fails, you can get this:
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 02:52:27 AM »
Keep the blade moving too or it will melt the plastic causing all kinds of annoyances.  Maybe even practice a bit first

Will your plastic supplier cut it for ya?

Our local plastic supplier  use a hot wire,  canus equiptment Co.,  the trick in using a jig saw is to keep the shield tight so it does not vibrate, and use a new fine tooth blade,  wish me luck when I cut my shield,  don goulet  de dee for 82 years, how old is your nick name???

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 04:43:24 AM »
This is great well the shield is with the boys at the garage and yeah he said he will put a fine blade and will make sure the shield is not vibrating and is secure. He is confident he can do it! Say prayers pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :)
Hi Kat. I have modified several wind screens with good luck. Here is how I did it. Main thing is NEVER try to cut a wind screen when it's cold. Should be at least room temp. I use a Dremel rotatory  tool with a fine tooth , thin round saw blade. First I draw a line where I want to cut, with a fine point Sharpie. Second, I turn the Dremel up to full speed and grip it with both hands and rest my hands on the lower part of the screen. I cut from left to right, because I'm right handed. The trick is to hold the cutting tool very very steady and cut a section until I see the plastic starting to melt. Then withdraw the tool and let is cool and break off the residual , AFTER it's cooled and hardened. (If you touch the hot plastic it will stick to you fingers and burn you) Repeat these steps all the way across. Be sure to follow your line as closely as possible. Then third, using a hot iron, such as one found in a wood burning kit, run it over the fresh cut just enough to smooth the surface and then finish up with some fine sand paper. This method has worked well for me.

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2017, 04:44:27 AM »
will know by the end of today! will let ya all know and show you :) pray please pray :D

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2017, 01:36:40 AM »
  thank you OLD TWO WHEELS,  I switched from jig saw to dremel tool.  and I cut the wind-shield  took me about 1/2 hour,  now time to polish the top edge.
would a solder iron work as good as a hot wood burning iron,. 

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()