Author Topic: Hello.  (Read 2328 times)

melody-zx

• View Profile
Hello.
« on: September 13, 2017, 06:12:26 AM »
Hi all.
I have been reading alot of the posts on here for a lil while now. Just thought it was about time I introduce myself and my lil bike that I am building.

I live in wet Britain and my bike is a honda melody 1980 sumin, think it's '83 but can't remember with out checking.
This bike is built to only ever go 30mph (if your lucky).
This was fine for a few days but then I wanted more power like we all do and I started to play around.
I found out to my dissapointment that there are no bolt on items for this bike, and what I did get I later found didn't fit :-[ .

Sooo, I then got an engine from an sh50 put that on a shelf in the workshop and that's where it stayed. ???

Fast foward a few months I have a new job at a garage and they also repair and service bikes as well, cool for me! ;D .
There I am having a nose around and I see this abandoned bike round the back. I ask my boss what money he would want for it and he just said I can have it!! 😄

I do a lil research and am so chuffed to find that this zx 50 I have is a clone of the honda dio engine. Good times ahead I think.
I swapped the engine over to the melody along with the wiering loom and a couple of changes so the bike keeps it's lights and switches. The cdi was missing so I grabbed one out of the parts box (off of I don't know what).
I also changed the carb to a naraku 21mm v2 with one of the large reed blocks. So far so good. Got the bike on the road and was hitting 35-40mph on the flat and 48mph down hill. So much better then the 28-32mph I was getting before.

Now the but,,,,,, But it kept stopping after a long-ish period of being under load. So what I did rather then fix it was get an eBay 70cc kit  ::) some jets sets and a technigas exhaust. Oh and a pack of roller weights from 5-6g to go with a 97mm variatiour I had found at work.

So now I have the bike in bits again! After fitting all the parts at once and sizing the engine on my way home from work 😭
I know what I had done wrong but my impatience got the better of me. I think i have managed to save the piston and am planning on getting the bike back together this weekend.
Will have pics up soon.
Thank you all for the really helpful info you post on here. I hope that I will soon be doing the 60mph a few of you have achieved.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 06:22:58 AM by melody-zx »

melody-zx

• View Profile
Re: Hello.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 04:03:49 PM »
This was her before any work

« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 11:58:58 AM by melody-zx »

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 10:14:06 PM »
Make sure you check or set piston ring end gap! This is probably what caused your engine to seize.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

melody-zx

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 03:49:06 PM »
Didn't even know I needed to do that  :o , will get on it. Thanks karl

melody-zx

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 12:00:49 PM »
Checked the gaps and all seems fine.
Hope to put it back together this weekend to run her in a lil more. Just won't use her for getting to work yet.

melody-zx

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 12:06:46 PM »

melody-zx

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 12:10:28 PM »

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 11:24:12 PM »
Please describe how you checked piston ring end gap.

Karl
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

melody-zx

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 02:38:18 PM »
Please describe how you checked piston ring end gap.

Karl

I placed the rings off the piston into the barrel just above the ports and used a gauge to check the gap. They where bang on the recommended gap (from what I remember).
I have not had time to put the engine back together so the bike is sat in bits for now 😕

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 10:16:42 PM »
OK, zx, you pass with the ring end gap check! I had to ask because there are lotsa folks that are unaware of this and how to do it. Voice of experience in '65 with a SAAB two-stroke!

Karl
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()