Author Topic: 'Total loss', says insurance. Keep for parts?  (Read 1628 times)

AaronPDX

• View Profile
'Total loss', says insurance. Keep for parts?
« on: September 12, 2017, 05:56:37 PM »
Got in a spill a couple weeks ago. Scraped up but okay. (2 lessons: 1, wear protective pants even in really hot weather;  2, passing is never 100% safe even if asshole in front of you signals left because they may actually turn right. Into you.

Anyway, point of this post is, insurance declared it a total loss and will reimburse me decently for it. Less $75 if I choose to keep the old one for parts. I'm tempted to do that, since the bike stood upright and rolled fine afterwards – the wheels/tires are good, battery is only a few months old, GIVI box on back is in fine shape, etc.  But, I'm not a mechanical guy and a dead bike takes up space.

What would you do?

Alternately: Any GV gurus in the Portland, Oregon area who would value it?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 05:58:29 PM by AaronPDX »
People 150 (sold)
2008 white Grand Vista 250

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: 'Total loss', says insurance. Keep for parts?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 08:35:50 PM »
The first step is to go online to DMV and determine what is required to get a salvage title.  My scooter was hit in the rear stop sign Dec 2016.  Minor damage - slightly bent tip of exhaust pipe,broken license plate holder / fender.  The hit was very light not enough for me to fall over however I did get whiplash and a slight headache above my neck / back of the head that lasted for a week or two.  Geico offered me $2200 for my 2005 GV250 and I bought it back for ~ $200.  I repaired the fender with a piece of sheet metal.  Went to a local MC shop for a Brake, tail signal light and horn inspection got my paperwork signed.  Went to DMV and paid ~$180 for a new registration, plate and title stamped "SALVAGED".  Been running fine for almost a year and 2000 miles. 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 06:06:56 PM by mrbios »
PaulC

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 09:09:00 PM »
For 75 bucks I would buy it back. Sounds like it still is in good mechanical shape, just the plastic has been damaged. If worse comes to worse, you could always part it out and sell some of it and get much more than 75 dollars!
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 12:36:11 PM »
Even if you're not mechanical, some of the easy stuff to take off and sell will more than make your money back like the Givi top box. There also may be parts like the top box that can swap over to another scooter. Some folks like to buy handyman specials as you could make someone a good deal on it. Daughter lives in Portland and seems like a scooter friendly city as there should be some interest in this.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 12:39:43 PM by Scooter Dan »
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 12:57:45 PM »
Depends on a few things.

Do you plan on getting another GV250, or are you going to get something else?
This is getting into the "Great Time To Buy(tm)" time of year, so if you were thinking a newer model or different bike then it's a good time to plan that out, &  the GV is worth it's box, & that's it unless you want to Ebay it or otherwise part it.  (messy and takes some work, but depending on misc factors your $75 would come out of it pretty handily over time if folks still ride GV's to any extent)

If you are getting another GV then for parts will you become a person who does your own stuff.  Not all shops will work with your parts bike, & some stuff, like the battery is so close to being done by the time you pull it out yourself that you may as well put it in yourself too.

Misc thoughts.
Even under ideal circumstance, as you note, it takes space.  If space is a premium then that's a factor too.
Regarding the box...
If your top box is real cool don't forget to factor in getting rid of the rest of it, but you could argue that since the box is detachable that it's really luggage so should be yours to keep, since it's not part of the bike.
They might be petty and keep the rack/adapter, but if the racks' cheap and the box ain't then you come out ahead.

That's some basic thoughts.  There's a bit more too it but I've been up all night and am heading to bed
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 04:08:56 PM »
It's worth way more then $75 in parts. I paid $100 for a used muffler for my GV and was happy to find one. Put an ad in craigslist and let the customer remove the part.
2009 GV 250

AaronPDX

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 07:51:25 PM »
Hey, sorry I never replied to y'all. Thanks for your responses. I ended up just ditching the bike, as I was too overwhelmed with road rash and crunched ribs and other issues to deal with it...
People 150 (sold)

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 11:01:21 PM »
Been there done that.  Kinda sucked & would rather not do it again.

Glad you're up & running Aaron. Di you nab a new GV?

Hey, sorry I never replied to y'all. Thanks for your responses. I ended up just ditching the bike, as I was too overwhelmed with road rash and crunched ribs and other issues to deal with it...
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

AaronPDX

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 01:46:58 AM »
Thanks Tromper. No, I got a Prius and I guess I'm in no big hurry to go 2-wheel again! : |  Ride safe!
People 150 (sold)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()